Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 01-17-2015, 10:06 PM
Large Rat

Default Late Game (Including Velious) Class Roles

Hello, I poked around a bit in the forums today looking for an answer to this question and found a few related threads, but they were all 2-3 years old and there seemed to be a lot of disagreement. My question is this, what are the various class roles at 55+ once Velious is out?

The reason why I'm asking is twofold. One, there seem to be a lot of certain classes, like Monk and Shaman, and everything that I've read about these two classes is that they maintain their high-level usefulness. Enchanters, on the other hand, seem to lose a lot of their usefulness at high levels due to mobs with a high MR score.

So, what is your opinion on the classes? I am currently enjoying the hell out of my paladin, but I want to start a secondary character that is a bit more soloable for off hours or when I feel like playing on my own. I'd prefer to avoid another hybrid class, even though the Shadowknight drew my eye, and was looking at the Necromancer, but wanted to get the opinion of the forum.
Old 01-17-2015, 10:14 PM
Banned

Class roles do not change that much. There is some smaller shifts in terms of utility but overall the roles don't change. Tanks do the tanking, healers do the healing, DPS does the damage and CC makes sure adds aren't an issue.

If you want a solo character, necro is great.
Old 01-17-2015, 10:45 PM
Aviak

Class roles are what you would expect for groups and for raids like plane of fear, plane of hate, etc. Beyond tanking, healing, DPSing, there's extra stuff like pulling, dragging corpses, buffing, debuffing, CCing, that a number of different classes do depending on the situation and what classes are available.

Class roles are different in raids against big bosses like dragons, velious bosses, etc. You might only see warriors tanking, while paladins/SKs basically are just DPS. You might see all of the clerics involved in a CH chain while druids and shamans are healing everyone other than the tank. Some DPS might be unable to DPS because of boss resists, so a mage might just be making mod rods. Stuff like that. Again, what exactly each class is doing depends greatly on the situation... what boss you're fighting, the numbers of your raid, what classes your raid has available, etc.
Old 01-18-2015, 05:41 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rararboker [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Class roles do not change that much. There is some smaller shifts in terms of utility but overall the roles don't change. Tanks do the tanking, healers do the healing, DPS does the damage and CC makes sure adds aren't an issue.

If you want a solo character, necro is great.
Pretty hard to add to that post. A few classes get better, believe it or not one is a Ranger, and some do get worse, Pally is no way going to solo much, but I think are a bit better in groups in Velious. Good pullers, spot healers, Rez helps, and will be needed. Cleric will be more desired for the harder areas.

Shaman will probably be best Solo class if you win the Lotto plat wise to gear them. And a Necro and Mage are about as cheap as you can go and both will do well. I think the Nerco also has the edge. They can actually USE their Dots. Mage will be oom a lot, and gating more, where Necro can hopefully FD. No class is going to kill fast in Velious. Mobs have a LOT of HP and hit really hard. Velious will not just be some walk in the Park.

I play Live yet and the Sleeper, and mobs there are a Ton harder to kill. Bards will run around till their fingers fall off Kiting to kill all the mobs they pull. lol. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 01-19-2015, 10:36 AM
Planar Protector

To your question on chanters, they do not lose any functionality at high levels and are equally, if not more, critical to group success. Slow does become more difficult to land, but that is the lesser of an enchanter's roles. No class ever comes remotely close to machine an enchanter's crowd control ability (their role) and their mana regen/ haste buffs are unparalleled.

Nay, an enchanter's desirability for groups/raids does not wane ^^
Old 01-19-2015, 10:42 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by maskedmelon [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
No class ever comes remotely close to machine an enchanter's crowd control ability (their role) and their mana regen/ haste buffs are unparalleled.
Pfft. A good bard can match an enchanter's crowd control and gives better mana regen!
Old 01-19-2015, 10:53 AM
Planar Protector

Default /

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenlaar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Pfft. A good bard can match an enchanter's crowd control and gives better mana regen!
Mmmmhhmmm [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

The bard is a highly capable class, and a good bard might out perform a daft enchanter, but certainly not a decently played enchanter at cc. The bard of course brings an interesting bag of other goodies to the table, but let's be honest ^^
Old 01-19-2015, 11:28 AM
Fire Giant

I am being honest! A good bard can easily lock down 4 mobs + keep one charmed, and the number of situations where you need to CC more than 5 mobs at a time is miniscule at best.

And then after the fight it can pump out more than double the mana regen of C2.

Bard powah!
Closed Thread