Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 11-29-2020, 04:28 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizard1 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You guys are idiots
maybe its not darkpaw, maybe it is, but i can guarantee you that some developer somewhere, is gonna see this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizard1 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You guys are idiots
Now, since you went there you earned this:

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 11-29-2020, 04:43 PM
Planar Protector

If you're really going to make EverQuest 3, it's important to actually make EverQuest 3. In other words, stay true to the formula. Don't try to make a generic, WoW-inspired MMO. Don't try to make some console-playable MMO. Don't try to make some garbage with action combat and interchangeable classes. If you want to make EQ3, then commit to it, knowing that the game itself will have relatively niche appeal and will not be the next WoW or Fortnite blockbuster game. If you can't at least commit to that from the outset, nothing else is going to matter because whatever you end up with may be called "EverQuest 3" but will in no way contain the spirit of EverQuest.

That being said, what I would consider some of the core elements necessary to preserve the feel of EverQuest:
  • Distinct classes with very different roles and abilities
  • A clean, classic art style
  • Crisp, minimalist, non-bloated UI
  • Slow-paced, relatively simple combat with long time-to-kill (NOT a lot of button mashing/skill rotations like in most other games)
  • A heavy emphasis on grouping and relying on other players to accomplish things in-game
  • Gameplay that revolves around acquiring rare and powerful items that gradually enhance your character's power
  • A world that feels large and dangerous (limited means of traveling long distances and meaningful death penalties, including XP loss and corpse retrieval)
  • Adherence to a mostly high fantasy setting (i.e. no Luclin sci-fi elements)
  • Small population servers where reputation matters
  • Character progression that relies mostly on grinding XP by killing mobs, not doing quest chains (whether we say we like it or not, that's EQ)

Here are some ideas for EQ3:
  • Some kind of system that involves characters aging and dying and passing on some of their gear/skills to their "heirs" (i.e. your alts). Sort of re-imagining the game away from playing individual characters and toward playing a lineage of different adventurers. This would solve a lot of the problems with the high-end stagnation at the endgame as well as item mudflation. So rather than spending 5 years pimping out Blort the Ogre Warrior you might have a few generations of Blorts, with the final Blort wielding legacy gear and items inherited from his ancestors.
  • A greater emphasis on specialized abilities (both combat and non-combat), and the choice to customize your character through them. These could be similar to AAs but chosen during the leveling process. For example, certain dungeons could have climbable walls, but only for characters who chose to train their climbing ability. And climbing might require fewer points for Monks and Rogues to learn, but more for Mages. Or maybe you want to specialize your Warrior in the use of shields and warhammers. Or you want a Wizard who runs faster than normal and who regenerates mana more quickly (which sounds great, but what if those abilities meant you forfeited other abilities that gave you larger mana pool or a regenerating ward?). This would allow for distinct class roles but give greater customization and specialization options within classes.
  • An endgame that shifts away from "raids" and toward "campaigns", which would basically be giant guild-scale quests that would take months to complete, and which would involve all facets of the game, not just killing a few high-end raid mobs. These campaigns could involve direct and indirect competition between guilds and between servers, depending on the type. There is great potential here especially when integrating the sort of "generational" characters in my first bullet point.
Old 11-29-2020, 05:02 PM
Planar Protector

Another important thing - EQ needs drama.
Therefore,
- there must be no instancing
- KS should be a thing
- training should be possible
- death should be just as unforgiving as on P99
Old 11-29-2020, 07:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexenu [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If you want to make EQ3, then commit to it, knowing that the game itself will have relatively niche appeal and will not be the next WoW or Fortnite blockbuster game.
PC games have always been niche, EQ was celebrated for breaking 100k subs. 200+ million people play COD mobile today.

Think about that though, this has always been the case. But even with a small crowd we still funded the best video cards, sound hardware, monitors etc. Sometimes I do wonder how a game like original EQ was even made when you consider the attitudes of everyone today.

To be honest I don't need the most cutting edge graphics, it would be nice but I realize that requires big company $$$ these days. I would settle for an update to the classic visual and sound, the game launches kunark and velious and that will be considered the new "original world". The next expansions do something different and stay classic. Suggestions about mudflation is great, be nice to have a 10 expansion game plan laid out that makes cohesive sense. The span of time also allows for wikis to be updated with new maps and information, because that will be done. We don't do Geocities anymore.

*Edit: Despite the min/maxer attitudes found in MMORPG's, I wouldn't worry about rolling out an expansion every 6 mo - 1 year. P99 proves every 2 years would be fine. The hardcore will finish and open a window for the rest. Come back when the new Xpan launches.

As far as the artwork, RIP Keith Parkinson. There are still a good many classic D&D artist alive. I judge EQ by Keith.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izmael [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Another important thing - EQ needs drama.
Therefore,
- there must be no instancing
- KS should be a thing
- training should be possible
- death should be just as unforgiving as on P99
Last edited by Mblake81; 11-29-2020 at 07:30 PM..
Old 11-29-2020, 08:22 PM
Planar Protector

No phasing/instancing
Told this to Rogean, Nilbog & Menden.
Old 11-29-2020, 09:08 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
in chimes another idiot to post what he thinks, probably a democrat at that
No one likes you.
Old 11-29-2020, 09:29 PM
Banned

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 11-29-2020, 10:12 PM
Planar Protector

Yeah I agree with comit to it.

Make a game that most people would assume would make no money, because you gave zero eff's about holding their hand. Make lines and impossible camps that suck because of permacampers and make casuals feel like they have no hope at ever having fun with this game and make all the quests super painful and convoluted and insane and long and boring and un-rewarding, and dont try to fix it, just try to achieve that.

Because nobody has the nuts to do that, and if they dont, they cant make an ever quest so no reason to try.
Old 11-29-2020, 10:30 PM
Banned

EQ1 but with better graphics
Old 11-29-2020, 10:38 PM
Banned

WHAT IF THEY TURNED IT INTO AN ANIME
Closed Thread