Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 12:39 PM
Kobold

Default Question For Enchanters. Not a gripe :)

With all the fuss over Charm I have questions about it all, based on how I recall playing my lowbie in classic.

I haven't played my current P99 Ench to a very high lvl, low 20's. And not much higher back in classic. So forgive my noobhood...

If you charm a mob, and send it after another mob, why not root the one you're trying to kill, so if charm breaks you don't have 2 on you?

I mean, I know the 1 charmed and buffed, ok, could kill ya. Got it, so don't buff it crazy, shouldn't be a huge issue.

But iirc when I charm killed back in classic, I didn't buff my pet much anyway, I assisted the pet by DD/DoT/Debuff my kill target, and by rooting. So if charm broke I only had 1 normal, unbuffed or lightly buffed ex-pet to insta-mez and recharm. Once kill target was dead turn around and kill the near dead pet. Pretty easy exp iirc.. unless charm and root broke at the same time. Throw in some jboots or SoW pots..

Am I missing something? Is that not effective? I'm uhh... a necro so.. you know.. not alotta charm experience. Again forgive any noobishness here [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

TIA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uthgaard
I don't come into McDonalds and criticize your work.
Old 05-05-2011, 12:45 PM
Planar Protector

People do that, Boltran's Agacerie (needed to charm xp group lvl mobs at 55+) uses 600 mana per cast.

Not very efficient if you can't rely on it to last more then 3minutes with Tash, a bit longer if you Malo it too.

Baalzy - 57 Gnocro, Baalz - 36 Ikscro, Adra - 51 Hileric, Fatbag Ofcrap - 25 halfuid

Red99
Baalz Less - Humger, Baalzy - Ikscro

If MMORPG players were around when God said, "Let there be light" they'd have called the light gay, and plunged the universe back into darkness by squatting their nutsacks over it.
Picture courtesy of azeth
Old 05-05-2011, 12:54 PM
Planar Protector

I'm 55 but I can't see myself switching from Allure to Boltran's any time soon. With the randomness of charm it's not worth the extra mana investment.
Old 05-05-2011, 01:11 PM
Kobold

Honestly you can use Whispers instead of Allure for 90% of encounters, too.

My trick post-nerf has been keeping level 1 mez gemmed. It only mezzes for like 12 seconds but it's just enough time to re-tash, re-malo if you got a friend, and send it back into the fight without it standing there useless for 30+ seconds like with lvl 49 mez or root.
Old 05-05-2011, 01:38 PM
Planar Protector

I think rooting the target (at least when soloing) is standard protocol. The other thing to do is keep rune up at all times. I find myself more limited by HP than mana when I charm solo. And Rune III should be enough to get you through 1-2 rounds without taking much if any damage.

And nanto has it right - on the chanter, when soloing, using the lowest level spell that is effective is just fine. I used to just use Whirl because it afforded enough time for a quick re-tash and re-charm, but now I just use the low level mez.

TBH though, I find the XP comes much faster just using the animation.
Old 05-05-2011, 01:43 PM
Planar Protector

Lucky you. Often times asking a mage to recast malo is like pulling teeth.

Typical scenario:
Charm breaks. I call for malo, retash, stun, start casting charm.... then duck because I'm not getting a response. This is usually followed by root, mez or killing the pet, depending on what kind of group I'm in.

2 minutes after I give up and charm the pet the mage comes back from eating bon-bons or whatever and says "It won't land!" [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

I'm guessing I would have better luck with a shaman.

Since the charm fix though I just tell groups that it's not efficient anymore to use a charmed pet (cause I want to go eat bob-bons too! [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] ).
Old 05-05-2011, 01:51 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by guineapig [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Lucky you. Often times asking a mage to recast malo is like pulling teeth.

Typical scenario:
Charm breaks. I call for malo, retash, stun, start casting charm.... then duck because I'm not getting a response. This is usually followed by root, mez or killing the pet, depending on what kind of group I'm in.

2 minutes after I give up and charm the pet the mage comes back from eating bon-bons or whatever and says "It won't land!" [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Root former pet next to mage ;-)

And you're right about the shaman.
Last edited by Extunarian; 05-05-2011 at 01:54 PM..
Old 05-05-2011, 03:04 PM
Kobold

imho get ranger/druid to duo with. it's their job to control your pet when it breaks and the mob being killed. it's fat xp since you don't have to worry as much about dying (with a good duo partner), and you can keep your pet hasted
Old 05-05-2011, 03:08 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
imho get ranger/druid to duo with. it's their job to control your pet when it breaks and the mob being killed. it's fat xp since you don't have to worry as much about dying (with a good duo partner), and you can keep your pet hasted
I agree. I had a lot of fun duoing with rangers when I played my chanter. Of course once they fixed it so that rooted mobs would pick people over pets, it got tougher to group with a melee without a healer.
Old 05-05-2011, 03:22 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extunarian [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I agree. I had a lot of fun duoing with rangers when I played my chanter. Of course once they fixed it so that rooted mobs would pick people over pets, it got tougher to group with a melee without a healer.
Why is that anyways? This is most definitely NOT classic. My pet used to steal agro from the tank in Lguk all the time.

Baalzy - 57 Gnocro, Baalz - 36 Ikscro, Adra - 51 Hileric, Fatbag Ofcrap - 25 halfuid

Red99
Baalz Less - Humger, Baalzy - Ikscro

If MMORPG players were around when God said, "Let there be light" they'd have called the light gay, and plunged the universe back into darkness by squatting their nutsacks over it.
Picture courtesy of azeth
Closed Thread