Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 03-19-2018, 05:28 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baler [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Props to you loramin for being A+ helpful in this community. I sincerely hope OP reads what you wrote.

To add to this,. it's not legal if you re-write what someone else did without their consent and claim it as your own. It's only legal if you write the same code having never seen the original code to begin with and are able to prove this in a court of law. Which is not easy to prove. Of course this varies country to country I'm primarily speak about usa law.
Thanks [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

While this is true, I should point out that in practice it's very difficult to prove that a rewrite was a literal rewrite of someone else's code, and not just the same problem being solved a similar way. It's the kind of thing you need Google's law department to really go after, and even then you wouldn't do it except in the most extreme circumstances.

If you look at Uber vs. Google Uber literally stole a higher-up in Google's auto division AND he took code on a USB stick or something when he left, AND Google could prove all that. I'm no lawyer, but I'm pretty sure that if Google had't had such a strong case they wouldn't even have gone to court with Uber.

In other words, as unfair as it may be, many companies can get away with rewriting code. In practice though doing that tends to be as much work as writing fresh code, so I don't think it's a major problem for the industry.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Last edited by loramin; 03-19-2018 at 05:33 PM..
Old 03-19-2018, 05:43 PM
Planar Protector

One last note: as a professional web developer, and someone who is currently writing a college intro to web dev course, I'm more than happy to answer any web dev questions anyone on this forum might have.

Please feel free to PM me.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 03-20-2018, 10:58 AM
Kobold

Holy fuck, all of you cucks arguing over code this and law that... who gives a flying fuck. If it works, and works better than that shitty ahungry site, great! You people act like you fucking designed amazons website and someone stole that shit from you
Old 03-20-2018, 11:05 AM
Planar Protector

Lol
Old 03-20-2018, 11:10 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splade [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Holy fuck, all of you cucks arguing over code this and law that... who gives a flying fuck. If it works, and works better than that shitty ahungry site, great! You people act like you fucking designed amazons website and someone stole that shit from you
When you write code for a living, the principle of people not stealing code matters to you ... just like book plagiarization matters to authors (even small independent ones).

But really I didn't see much arguing, just some education about OSS licenses.

Old 03-20-2018, 11:32 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
When you write code for a living, the principle of people not stealing code matters to you ... just like book plagiarization matters to authors (even small independent ones).

But really I didn't see much arguing, just some education about OSS licenses.
Sorry, I shouldn't of said "arguing", I should have said "whining"
Old 03-20-2018, 04:14 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baler [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Props to you loramin for being A+ helpful in this community. I sincerely hope OP reads what you wrote.

To add to this,. it's not legal if you re-write what someone else did without their consent and claim it as your own. It's only legal if you write the same code having never seen the original code to begin with and are able to prove this in a court of law. Which is not easy to prove. Of course this varies country to country I'm primarily speak about usa law.
I bet I would still have to debug my mistakes even if I tried copying it line by line lol. smh
Old 03-21-2018, 01:49 PM
Large Bat

New Release v 1.0.5 is here, completely redone and features added, Pending filter options and other goodies! focusing more on price extraction now! Stay tuned
Old 03-21-2018, 02:49 PM
Large Bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perissh [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Where are you stealing the price extraction code from?
http://php.net/manual/en/function.explode.php
Old 03-28-2018, 02:37 PM
Aviak

If you need any more devs I'd love to help.
Last edited by Leddy; 03-28-2018 at 02:39 PM.. Reason: cant english
Closed Thread