Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Server Issues > Bugs > Velious Beta > Mechanics

Closed Thread

Old 04-24-2020, 08:53 AM
Planar Protector

Default Rod of Glamour cast time/Flux Staff

This should have a casting time of the spell "Alliance" nor can non-bards move and cast it this was applied at the same time as a similar nerf to the Staff of Temperate Flux.

Quote:
JUNE 15, 2000
Hello everyone, Over the past few weeks, a portion of the EQ team has been working on The Hole, in preparation of its release in the near future. Even so, a number of changes and additions were made in today's patch. Most of the changes are in regards to quests:
The Robe of the Lost Circle has been enhanced.
The Staff of Temperate Flux and the Rod of Insidious Glamour now have a short casting time associated with their activatable effect (See Below).
The Gunthak Harpoon is again NORENT, meaning that it will disappear when you log off (See Below.)
Casting Times on Staff and Rod:
We received word a few weeks ago that some people were using these items to "spam" other players with their spell-effect messages, causing them to disconnect. Though /ignore will allow you to filter out text messages caused by people on your /ignore list, it will not allow you to filter out spell-effect messages for spells cast upon you.

The short casting time should prevent the problems associated with the targetable and activatable effect on these weapons, however you will have to stand still to use them now.

https://web.archive.org/web/20021016...m.html?item=56
The rod uses the cast time of alliance which would not make this an insta. Neither does Lucy agree on it being instant until 2004.

When we look at the Flux item we see that the spell lower element is insta thus it could however they may not move while casting with the set of circumstances different with the rod. It requires you top stop momentarily moving and and coming to a halt while it can recast. Whilst both those conditions have been met for the rod then it will not complete its cast.
Graffe's will serve you well for insights into the staff for that one and the Alla comments themselves for Enchanters the majority use it situational and nothing I've read makes me believe they were going around casting it all over. hardly any benefit other than the cha bonus for mez while wielding with do the other. I don't see much way to argue around it with it coming from lock solid sources. Ignorance is bliss because the wiz will still be able to kite the enchanter just wont get quite as easy spell gem reset.
Last edited by Pringles; 04-24-2020 at 08:54 AM.. Reason: sorry loopy as heck still
Old 04-27-2020, 01:21 PM
Sarnak

I've been looking for player mentions of the flux staff having a casting time and I'm not finding any. I'm thinking the cast time the patch note was referring to was something that was never implemented or was quickly reverted.

Here are some in-era comments about the flux staff being instant, even after those patch notes were posted on 06/15/2000.

12/04/2001 https://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/...00748759526079
Quote:
Your cleric just complete-healed the tank, and the mob wasn't taunted enough to let that go unanswered. Someone has about two seconds to get enough aggro to convince the mob that the cleric isn't worth killing. You can cast a little nuke that won't get the mob's attention, or not quite have time to cast a big nuke that would suffice if you had time to cast it. Either way, the cleric is dead. But the taunt stick has a casting time of zero. You can inflict a pesky little debuff on the mob as fast as you can click the thing. The mob (already snared, of course) starts trudging toward you, until it gets rooted, mezzed, or killed.
6/20/2001 https://www.graffes.com/forums/showt...rius-of-Luclin

Quote:
- 6. Pulling WITH a staff of temperal flux: Use the same as is stated above, but cast your SoTF on the run to aggro them, and use it as a gadge for casting distance for when you're going to cast Bonds of Force or Circle of Force.
06/01/2001 https://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/...99145772110472

Quote:
1) The effect lowers fire and ice resists by 6 - zap yourself with it and you will see this to be true... any debuff that doesnt require your mana, and doesnt even require you to be still (you can use the effect while running, it wont be interrupted, it has zero cast time) - IS INVALUABLE
Old 04-27-2020, 06:16 PM
Planar Protector

Played a wizard on live. Don't recall this change with Staff of the Temperate Flux. If it ever happened, which I doubt, it was so short lived that it's not even memorable.

9/2003 https://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/...06391898754180
This is further down the line but the functionality seems the same as always and pretty definitive:

Quote:
JMTC. This staff is probably the most used item in the wizard ******** How so? Well.. at 65 I still use it to pull mobs while on the run. It is instant cast which makes all the difference in the world since you can "run by" pull. You dont have to stop. You just right click from inventory and the mob chases you. Very nice when you are on horseback etc.. and stopping just means a slow restart to a run, or you are in a hot spot with other nasty mobs and stopping to cast some agro getting spell will just put you in harms way longer than is good for you.

I have also used it in lowbe places to pull the entire zone to AE them all. For example when I messed up some faction with emerald warriors and wanted it back I went into crushbone with my wizard just running around targetting while running and right clicking the stick. Pretty soon I had the entire zone running around after me. Since I was too high to agro any mob by proximity this saved me a ton of headache in stopping to hit a mob to get agro.
Some other toons
Formerly of TZ
Closed Thread