Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Server Issues > Bugs

Old 05-27-2020, 09:34 AM
Planar Protector

Default Classic bugs with charm

Charm was less desirable in classic, in part, due to the myriad bugs associated with it. I thought I would post a thread I found that summarizes them, in case there's a desire to tune charm in the future:

http://web.archive.org/web/200006082...ML/001072.html

Charm didn't always stick:
Quote:
2. I hit the monster with charm and nothing happens! I don't get a resist message. Nothing. It just as if the mob didn't get charmed at all. One time I charmed a gargoyle in Mistmoore who proceeded to attack me while his intiate familiar friend beat on him. That sounds pretty bugged to me.
Pathing was very bad for charmed pets (and pets in general, tbh):
Quote:
3. You charm your mob and it amazingly disappears! Goes off somewhere and vanishes from sight. You get the 'Your Charm' has broken message. I just tell my party to zone, because you know it pulled the whole damn place down around your head. Usually a minute later, the whole zone shows up in one mass mob, your screen goes red with damage and you die.
You would occasionally take melee hits that were meant for your pet:
Quote:
Once in Kedge I charmed a piercer and sent it after another mob. As the piercer was valiantly killing off the mobs I was getting whacked along with it. Talk about symbiotic connection! However it was able to kill one of the 4 on it so I got exp right before I swam like a girly-man to the zone.
Pet would attack groupmates, e.g. if it were DoTed by a groupmate, even while charmed:
Quote:
the worst is when it gets bugged, but the charm goes off so you have a pet that it attacking groupmates, not attacking mobs, and your group cant fight back root/etc.. you also cant mez it because its your pet, rechaming is useless.

so you have to sit down, flip from quick access spells through 4 or 5 pages to get to invis. mem cast, get bashed.. mez.

---

If your charmed pet is attacking a group mate it is probably because they DoT'd the mob before you charmed. It still feels the DoT even though it is now under your control. About the only thing you can do is constantly issue the /pet back off command or just break the charm since the pet is pretty useless now.

---

Also, I'm not quite sure this works but in guk I had a druid get whaled on a few times by my pet because he had a dot on it.
/pet guard here and /pet sit down were bugged:
Quote:
/pet sit down and /pet gaurd here do some really funky things to my charmed pets.

They both do the same thing. I'll use one of the commands and my pet will stand still for a few moments. As soon as I back off a bit though, the pet will start wandering off in a different direction... I have to catch up to it and command it to follow me.
Charm break message seems to have often arrived late and been unreliable/bugged:
Quote:
Another buggy aspect is when a group member casts inviso undead on me to break the charm and I don't get the charm break message until a few seconds after.

---

Mixilplix, I have one better. I had a mob break charm, due to "natural" circumstances, and the message finally popped up 3 seconds AFTER my party had killed the loving thing (about a 15-20 second fight).

---

Root is in the same slot as charm, so i got the "you may only have one pet at a time" message, slapped myself in the forehead and rooted him. About 30 seconds later, I get the break message, and wait for the pet to come beat on me. But he doesn't, so i hit F1 twice, and sure enough, he still shows up as my pet. Later I got his break message. I'm guessing that even though the second charm didn't go through because I already had a pet, it still got counted, and so i got a break message for it.
So really there was a lot wrong with charm in classic. P99 has too many of these 'bugs' fixed [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 05-27-2020, 09:46 AM
Kobold

seek help
Old 05-27-2020, 10:05 AM
Skeleton

Most of these are just anecdotes from a group of people who didn't completely understand the game. The pathing "bug" specifically calls out mistmoore and mm still is terrible for pathing. That's nothing specific to charming. You're quite selective in your sources.

Like you can't honestly expect people to take stuff like "As the piercer was valiantly killing off the mobs I was getting whacked along with it." seriously? What's more likely, the guy was close to the mob and therefore getting hit or somehow they coded damage to be shared between pet and PC? But only in very rare circumstances because no one else reports the same problem.

This is a poor source and hardly proof of anything. People didn't charm for the same reason that they'd bring a group to camp a couple of blue mob - they didn't know what they were doing.
Old 05-27-2020, 12:51 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by yyrkoon [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
seek help
The only cure for this disease is time.

Interesting OP.
Old 05-27-2020, 01:58 PM
Planar Protector

I remember a lot of bugs with charm, not many of these mentioned though. The ones i remember the most were ones I listed previously:

"1. Sometimes when you were charmed, and then became uncharmed, you would lose the ability to cast any spells. You would have to camp out completely and relog in to restore your ability.

2.Sometimes the "charming" MOB's pet would still be able to attack you while you were charmed and you'd just watch as you were whittled down to zero health by their pet while under charm.

3. This was a doozy. If a player was charmed, the charming NPc would then target the nearest player in a GIGANTIC radius and aggro them. Like a huge radius, like from the rathe mountains gypsy to the lake zone in-- where I first discovered this "bug". Not only would they target players from far away but they would attack players they should not even by aggressive to. Like the gypsy in rathe mountains isn't KOs to anyone but if you got charmed she would still attack the nearest player to her."

There was also a very short time frame where being charmed changed you into an NPC. This meant I could safely charm my level 50 buddy and he could quad for like 150 or whatever crazy number it was. And when he broke, no aggro to deal with.

You could also charm pets. And if you charmed a players pet, they would recast a new one. When the charm would break the previously charmed pet would 32k itself( so again no chance of aggro . For those who don't know, early on pets didn't just vanish when they killed themselves they would hit themselves for 32k) . Sometimes mobs would also 32k themselves for various reasons, often because their pathing had bugged out and they became stuck somewhere and couldn't find a path "home". Charming an enchanters pet would enable them to be commanded, too. Summoned pets would also 32k themselves if their owners moved too far away from them.

I remember a lot of people saying they lost their offhhand and thrown slot items when charmed, even if they were not throwable weapons. Never happened to me, but lots of people claimed it happened to them. Some would even unequip their thrown/offhand slots if they were fighting anywhere they could possibly get charmed... and given both shaman and necros charmed back then, it was amuch more common threat than you'd think. Even worse, the NPC s who could charm did not have to obey the level restrictions of the spell.

They cleaned up/changed/fixed a lot of the bugs related to charm around the time RZ launched. I was waiting to abuse the shit out of them on RZ, but totally scrapped my plan and rolled up an SK instead.
Old 05-27-2020, 02:24 PM
Planar Protector

Primary non weapon bug was real- I lost my GBS (turned into roots after I was charmed by kobold noble then was D/Cd)

This bug was reported and fixed w a patch note tho.

+1 charm was very raw and unpolished early stages
Old 05-29-2020, 03:11 AM
Planar Protector

More evidence for these classic bugs from some posts of mine in the big Rants and Raves post about enc charm a few months back.

Charmed pets not always obeying /pet commands:
Quote:
12/8/99

Charmed beings are SUPPOSED to act like other caster pets and follow the
same commands. I've noticed most of the time they work properly but
occasionally you'll charm something that aspires to be an Enchanter Pet
(ie.. they won't attack unless you're attacked first)

The majority of my charms worked fine but I would occasionally have this
charmed nasty following me around like a lost puppy dog. Of course once
the charm broke it was more than willing to attack something =)

Antheus

https://groups.google.com/d/msg/alt....w/MUjBZ_tfTdEJ
Charmed pets attacking party members sometimes:
Quote:
9/10/99

Furthermore, the charmed creatures will attack your party members
and they won't be able to hit back. You have to watch it like a hawk.
You will be able to stop the pet from attacking your buddies, but it
won't be like your normal animation pet in that you will have to keep
track of it.

https://groups.google.com/d/msg/alt....o/22VTCapUpg0J
Again I'm not sure trying to emulate these bugs is the best way to go, rather tuning charm to be more unpredictable would create a more classic feel.
Old 05-29-2020, 03:45 AM
Planar Protector

Btw, on losing items in your held slot when charmed in pvp, since I was curious, it was legit:

Quote:
9/29/99

well, the charm bug that causes you to lose items in held slot has not been
fixed, but weren't we told so in one of the recent patches? i'm going to
petition about it everyday until they tell me to stop or i will be banned.
if i knew the bug had not been fixed i wouldn't have used my jeweled skull.
now a rusty mace (. so be warned, becareful about getting charmed.

https://groups.google.com/d/topic/al...33M/discussion
Old 05-29-2020, 04:09 AM
Planar Protector

One more while I have this open:

Quote:
4/7/00
Topic: Charm is TOO damn bugged.

Yet again, another death to a bug with Charm. When does it end? For
all you Enchanters out there, DON'T charm a HG/Cyclops near Brother
Zephryl in Rth Mtns...as they will DART right to him, hit him
once...he'll ignore them, and DART right to you (faster than SoW it
looked)...and hit you 300 hps a punch...and he hits 4 times REALLY
REALLY fast. <--- happened to me b4 there, but this time i didn't see
the bastard....and hoped since it was many months ago it'd be fixed.

---

Oh yeah, also forgot the ever fun Pet attacks a teammate after you
target a monster...that's a fav too...happened last night. Also, why
does it seem that when you charm anything anymore, it intially starts
running away from you? Is pathing getting REALLY messed up anymore, or
is it just me ?

---

Plus, lets take
the other ability you have (that can still be used as a substitue for
your other ability taken away) and put bugs all thru it-- make you take
bad faction hits, have it randomly wonder away and attract more
enemies, hit party members w/o them being able to fight/cast back, and