Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Old 10-09-2022, 11:40 AM
Decaying Skeleton

Default Noob here!

Hi All,

Am in Canada 52 year old male. First mmo was WoW when it first came out and quit after cata dropped, like so many.

I cracked open P99 a few years ago but I had such a hard time trying to figure out what to do or how to find quests etc that I gave up but now I want to give it a go again.

Into PvE and just developing my character and exploring the world. All the servers are a little confusing right now...well everything is confusing right now lol.

What server do people suggest for me.. also any video series i can watch to help me learn my way around? A character that is easiest to play maybe and what area to start in.. stuff like that.

Any other pointers are VERY welcome!

Thank you,
Al

PS... I might as well ask this since I'm here. I have an Ideapad 3 Gaming laptop with a AMD Ryzen 7 4800H and a GForce GTX 1650 Ti and it has 8gig ddr4 3200mhz. I know this is more than enough to run P99... I just want to ask if getting another stick of RAM to get to 16gig is something I should consider. Personally I dont think so because when I check, even with something like WoW running I never see more than 80% of ram used. Any geeks here who can tell me if there are any benefits for me going to 16gig? THANKS [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Last edited by bosshogg; 10-09-2022 at 11:47 AM..
Old 10-09-2022, 12:32 PM
Kobold

I say play green because it has a greater player count, more lower end than someone with 10 L60's with epics max geared, and 'if' it gets merged (which I suspect it wont) you'll end up on blue anyways.

As what to play? Depends what you want. Casters are usually more solo friendly and take less gear to get off the ground but nothing is impossible with the drive to make it happen.
Old 10-09-2022, 12:49 PM
Banned

I don't think upgrading RAM will help P99 run any better, but it's so cheap and easy to do, you might as well do it in general (and if it improves P99, that's a bonus)

The Green server has more people, and more that are lower level - so it will be easier to find groups. Green is more classic, so it may have fewer quality of life features, like pet window and being able to see at night (although this could be outdated info, Green might have those things now)

As far as which class to play, I always recommend a self-reliable caster class of some sort. A Druid, a Necro, a Mage, or Shaman. Those are usually decent. They have the ability move around the world decently, they can make money. They just make easing into the world a bit nicer and easier.

My main was a Rogue. Bad choice lol. If you want to do that, you'll be okay but I definitely recommend one of the classes above, as you'll hit the ground running and learn about EQ way faster and easier.
Old 10-09-2022, 02:11 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Thanks for replies [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Ok, gonna start a caster on Green.

Ya extra ram wont do anything for me as far as P99 is concerned.. was just reaching out about it because the gamer community all have 16 as a min but like i said.. i dont personally see any benefit if it for me. I dont think i ever come close to using up the 8 I have but I do have slot 2 free... so who knows maybe ill order up another 8gig stick and stuff it in just to see if I notice anything
Old 10-10-2022, 07:09 AM
Sarnak

Welcome to P99. Please check out the newbie guide if you haven't already: https://wiki.project1999.com/Newbie_Guide

As you've come from wow, one of the biggest differences you'll notice is that there are no quests to guide you through the levelling process - you make your own story rather than play someone else's. You pretty much have to grind it out by killing stuff.

Consider a druid for your first class, solo friendly, easy travel and welcome in most cities, good class to get to know the game imo.
Old 10-10-2022, 09:02 AM
Large Rat

I feel like a druid would be a good starting class. EQ is definitely a very rough game to get into and takes some real commitment to get going and understanding what the hell is happening, but very rewarding when you get over that hump. I'd recommend looking at the wiki for the class lists and then going to YT to watch some videos on that class. The wiki is going to be your best friend for everything. Get used to having 10 tabs open from it at all times. You'll also want to be looking up, your class specific spell guides, and leveling guides. Green is definitely the go to server for a first timer.
Old 10-10-2022, 09:16 AM
Banned

Druids are good because they offer a wide variety of styles of play as well.

They fear kite.

They charm kite.

They root rot.

They quad kite.

They....regular kite.

You basically learn every type of spell caster combat style.

They also port, so you learn the world faster. And SoW helps you move around it.
Old 10-10-2022, 10:56 AM
Planar Protector

As much as it pains me to agree with him, Encrotching Wretch is correct.
Last edited by Duik; 10-10-2022 at 10:58 AM.. Reason: Making it even funnier
Old 10-10-2022, 10:57 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duik [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
As much as it pains me to agree with him, Encrouching Wretch is correct.
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 10-10-2022, 11:02 AM
Planar Protector

Lmao, you are 1337#
Leet poaster.