Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 08-21-2020, 06:32 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickled_heretic [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Your ability to find a group is directly correlated to how useful your class is in that group. Pre-29 enc here on green I had to beg for spots or get on a list (or just solo) even with lfg tag on. Post 35 I get an invite every hour or so, to either CT or paw usually, even with lfg tag off. The even better news is that by now my friends list is populated by similar level shamans and clerics who have tasted the forbidden fruit of enchanter duo exp so groups aren't even that good of exp for me anymore.

If you're a wiz, druid or another class that has a poor grouping reputation / low contribution or you have a poor reputation you can expect your grouping opportunities to gradually diminish as you gain levels.
What morons wouldn’t take an Enchanter pre-29? You still need the men and charmed pet DPS is easily the best DPS in the game.
Old 08-21-2020, 07:10 PM
Fire Giant

Should have articulated a little more clearly. The perception of your class's contribution is the important part. It is indeed true that by the time you are charming level 20 mobs (realistically, lvl 24+ unless you are nicely twinked) you'll do more damage in a group setting than any other classic class. But at the same time, I have seen two or three enchanters regularly, none of which are able or willing to charm anything above a green con. So if everyone thinks enchanters are ass until lvl 29 where they become crack dispensers, then that is gonna be your perceived contribution as well.
Old 08-21-2020, 09:17 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickled_heretic [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Should have articulated a little more clearly. The perception of your class's contribution is the important part. It is indeed true that by the time you are charming level 20 mobs (realistically, lvl 24+ unless you are nicely twinked) you'll do more damage in a group setting than any other classic class. But at the same time, I have seen two or three enchanters regularly, none of which are able or willing to charm anything above a green con. So if everyone thinks enchanters are ass until lvl 29 where they become crack dispensers, then that is gonna be your perceived contribution as well.
Are you possibly referring to experiences you’ve had on other servers? I’ve never seen a single Ench on P99 refuse to charm a mob if asked (and most do it without asking). Also it doesn’t take until the 20s for mob DPS to be great. I was charming mobs in Unrest in my teens for some great DPS for the group. Minimal breaks as well as long as you remember to tash
Old 08-21-2020, 10:00 PM
Fire Giant

Why would I be referring to another server?
Old 08-22-2020, 04:54 AM
Aviak

some new players on green don't know the contribution that a charmed mob brings to the group. it's true they have an outmoded view of enchanters as crack dispensers; these players probably played on live and not blue. it's not necessarily common but i have encounter it twice - I surprised the heck out of the group by holding a charm the entire time we were grouped. they didn't know about mechanics like rod of insidious glamour to always get a mez/charm off after a stun or things like that, so to them it is reasonable to be suspicious of an enchanter's ability to hold a charm.
Old 08-22-2020, 12:10 PM
Fire Giant

Outside of the scope of this discussion, but I want to add that right at lvl 12, when enc gets charm, it's not as good as the animation. I speak with some confidence as your animation at that level can solo even cons, but a charmed mob -3 lvls definitely cannot. It happens again with the 16 animation as it can also kill lvl 15 mobs. Sometime around 18-19 the things you can charm catch, but do they outdps all other classes? I am skeptical, e.g. mage pets are substantially stronger than animations, and the mage itself does some damage with nukes, also better than you could. From 20+ though mobs can be given a torch to triple attack, and mobs are hitting for max 40. That's confidently better than any other class. So at some time between 12 and 24 an enchanter should switch to charming fulltime in a group from using animations. When they do it is probably a matter of taste.
Closed Thread