Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 08-08-2020, 05:34 AM
Planar Protector

Check out Clevo computers.

These are barebone laptops that can be tailored exactly to your needs. It's perfect for a work laptop, if you don't need a GPU, for example.

I have one, I'm very happy with it. I was looking for a laptop WITHOUT a GPU, just with the integratel intel graphics. Turns out it's really hard to find these days, if you want it to have a reasonable powerful CPU, as well.

With Clevo I just ordered a 32 GB / i7-9750H / 2 TB barebones with an IPS 4k display and it's as perfect as it gets for my needs:

- it's quite powerful. I do a lot of development and it often requires a lot of CPU power.
- it's not thin. I don't understand why a laptop needs to be thin. I'm not a 3 y/o girl, I can carry 1 kg around.
- it's cheap - I didn't have to dish out $3k for a Dell with equivalent power. It cost me like $700. If it breaks too badly I can just buy a new one, problem solved. Don't have to worry about sending it back, getting replacement while it's being repaired, arguing/worrying/etc.
- it's generic - no weird drivers, no weird bugs, it's just some RAM with an SSD and an Intel CPU.
- it has a ton of ports: fuck this "all you need is 1 thunderbolt port" stuff that makes you hate life unless all you do with your laptop is to check how many likes your latest duck face selfie on instagram received. I can plug an ethernet cable in it without worrying. HDMI, Displayport, no problem. USB? Sure, a few. SD card, no problem. I'm pretty sure you can even request a floppy drive built in, if that is your thing.
- it has a great, power-user oriented keyboard, not some bad imitation of already bad Apple keyboards that are good only if your typing speed is of 6 wpm on a good day (but look cool).

I use it as my main computer - move quite often between our main place and country house, have docking setups with 2 external monitors in both places. Works like a charm.

One downside: No GPU means that playing P99 will suck on it nowadays, since the dyn light "fixes". You need a dedicated GPU for it. It will be annoyingly choppy otherwise. If you don't game, it's a non-issue.
Old 08-08-2020, 08:41 AM
Planar Protector

I bought an MSI GP65 Leopard off of newegg Dec 2019 and I love this thing. MSI is a solid product. I had an Alienware before that which got fried by lightening through the ethernet port. I wasn't really impressed with it but I wouldn't have bought another one if it wasn't for that unfortunate event. I will definitely go MSI again.

My PC is custom from newegg as well. I've been ordering from them since 2008. I've never had any issues.

But didn't realize that this is more like... P99's 4chan or something.

except instead of random anons its a shark attack of a small clique that posts here all the time. so he's doubly fucked.
Old 08-08-2020, 11:23 AM
Planar Protector

I sent my laptop into repair as it has a plan.

While that happens I’m using a bricked NB500 that I fixed by replacing the hdd to ssd and a fresh install of 32bit win10. Didn’t think it would work as its specs are awful (atom processor and 2GB of ddr3) but it runs google mail, sheets, docs, hang outs fine while also running helpscout and database enquiry stuff for cs/logistics stuff. I think my wife originally got the machine for thirty quid and the new ssd was another 15.

I’m not suggesting investing in such an archaic machine or such low specs, merely providing evidence that for the use case you suggest most of your 1k is spent better elsewhere, unless you are simply laundering. What do you really want to do with it?
Last edited by Jimjam; 08-08-2020 at 11:26 AM..
Old 08-08-2020, 03:01 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izmael [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Check out Clevo computers.

These are barebone laptops that can be tailored exactly to your needs. It's perfect for a work laptop, if you don't need a GPU, for example.

I have one, I'm very happy with it. I was looking for a laptop WITHOUT a GPU, just with the integratel intel graphics. Turns out it's really hard to find these days, if you want it to have a reasonable powerful CPU, as well.

With Clevo I just ordered a 32 GB / i7-9750H / 2 TB barebones with an IPS 4k display and it's as perfect as it gets for my needs:

- it's quite powerful. I do a lot of development and it often requires a lot of CPU power.
- it's not thin. I don't understand why a laptop needs to be thin. I'm not a 3 y/o girl, I can carry 1 kg around.
- it's cheap - I didn't have to dish out $3k for a Dell with equivalent power. It cost me like $700. If it breaks too badly I can just buy a new one, problem solved. Don't have to worry about sending it back, getting replacement while it's being repaired, arguing/worrying/etc.
- it's generic - no weird drivers, no weird bugs, it's just some RAM with an SSD and an Intel CPU.
- it has a ton of ports: fuck this "all you need is 1 thunderbolt port" stuff that makes you hate life unless all you do with your laptop is to check how many likes your latest duck face selfie on instagram received. I can plug an ethernet cable in it without worrying. HDMI, Displayport, no problem. USB? Sure, a few. SD card, no problem. I'm pretty sure you can even request a floppy drive built in, if that is your thing.
- it has a great, power-user oriented keyboard, not some bad imitation of already bad Apple keyboards that are good only if your typing speed is of 6 wpm on a good day (but look cool).

I use it as my main computer - move quite often between our main place and country house, have docking setups with 2 external monitors in both places. Works like a charm.

One downside: No GPU means that playing P99 will suck on it nowadays, since the dyn light "fixes". You need a dedicated GPU for it. It will be annoyingly choppy otherwise. If you don't game, it's a non-issue.
Ill check it out. Very insightful post.

Do Americans use Clevo? Seems everything is in Euros.
Last edited by Topgunben; 08-08-2020 at 03:04 PM..
Old 08-08-2020, 04:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mead [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I bought an MSI GP65 Leopard off of newegg Dec 2019 and I love this thing. MSI is a solid product. I had an Alienware before that which got fried by lightening through the ethernet port. I wasn't really impressed with it but I wouldn't have bought another one if it wasn't for that unfortunate event. I will definitely go MSI again.

My PC is custom from newegg as well. I've been ordering from them since 2008. I've never had any issues.
i Love msi but they advertise a super long battery life high quality screen but it looks weird, go see it in person before you bite on it
Old 08-08-2020, 07:09 PM
Aviak

Look on your local facebook marketplace. Around me theres a guy who cleans out and factory restores laptops from companies who upgrade. Bought a i5 thinkpad with 6gb of ram and a 500gb ssd for only $150. He has a few i7 with 8gb of ram right now for only $200 i might consider buying one.
Ruilden Wreckchords | Level 30 Half Elf Bard of No God |Green|
Maulgar | Level 24 Troll Shadow Knight of Cazic-Thule |Green|
Old 08-08-2020, 07:38 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topgunben [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Ill check it out. Very insightful post.

Do Americans use Clevo? Seems everything is in Euros.
https://amp.reddit.com/r/SuggestALap...to_buy_sticky/

Clevo is a barebones manufacturer. Lots of small or medium sized companies buy the parts from them, build laptops (with or without offering customization on a per-user basis), then sell them as their own brand with a different name.

So you have to find these companies then do the research, it can take a while.

It was worth the effort for me because I had a lot of requirements for my laptop and I gave up on finding one that would meet them all on the regular market.

But if you don't have that many requirements, it might be a better idea to just go with something more standard like MSI, Acer, Dell... etc, for the support quality (you don't buy a Clevo for the support).

At any rate, do your research and compare a ton. It sucks to be stuck with a laptop you don't like.
Last edited by Izmael; 08-08-2020 at 07:47 PM..
Old 08-08-2020, 09:27 PM
Decaying Skeleton

You should check out HP Spectra. I think you might need to extend your budget a bit for that, but it will surely be worth it.
Old 08-09-2020, 01:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snortles Chortles [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
hurr durr alienware is owned by dell (LOL)
XPS's are decent gaming laptops, not that i would ever buy one (SiP)
Owned by yes but company still operating independently and they still doing things the way they did before

basically nothing like how dell does things
Old 08-09-2020, 01:35 PM
Planar Protector

Thanks for this post. I have a 17" 5.5 lbs laptop that's way too heavy to carry around for school, especially with the power cord which is probably another 2 or 3 lbs.

I'm looking for a 13" light weight non-gaming laptop with a little bit of power for nursing school, if anyone has suggestions in addition to what's been posted.
Closed Thread