Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 08-03-2020, 11:11 AM
Aviak

Default The player-moderated Ancient Cyclops list is a disaster.

https://kingdomdkp.com/eqdkp/index.p....html?b451b83d

Friends, have a look at this shit, and settle in for story time.

For those who don't know, this is the purely player-run list for the AC in OOT. Seems like a wonderfully utopian solution to a highly contested camp. Everyone sits around a campfire singing Kumbaya, peacefully waiting until their turn is up.

Except, it's not like that... AT ALL. Names are moved around or deleted with no recourse, and sometimes, the entire list even gets randomly wiped on a whim because *anyone* has edit access, and there is no set rule as to what happens when it's the middle of the night and nobody on the list is available to come take their turn, since you do NOT have to remain in OOT to stay on the list. You don't even have to be logged on! HOW AMAZING! You too can play EQ... without actually PLAYING IT! WOW!

This leads me to my tale of being completely fucked over because I was trying to do the right thing for 100+ people by NOT wiping the list when I was the only person left at the camp at 6:00am:

After about a week and a half I was FINALLY #1 on the list at 5:00am est, but alas; I missed my chance because I fell asleep at the camp about 90 minutes prior. When I woke up and was told "sorry that happened to you", I understood, and reluctantly requested to be added back to the bottom of the list. Yup, I went from #1 to #100 - just like that - but hey, rules are rules, and we've all agreed to play nice.

Now, knowing full well that this list has been wiped out completely at least twice in the last month, because no one was available to take the camp in the wee hours of the morning, I figured I would wait around. Maybe I'd get to be the lucky one who is there when the list falls apart again. After all, I just had a nice nap, I'm still "working from home", and both of the aforementioned resets of the entire list happened when I was somewhere in the 40'ish range, after weeks of waiting. Didn't want that to happen again. About twenty minutes later, the person who was #1 gets their ring, and ... surprise!!! He couldn't find anyone next on the list that was online. There was no one to take over, but me! Hooray!!!

At that point, I had an attack of conscience. How could I live with wiping this list? 100+ people would all wake up to disappointment, just like I had at least twice before, and I would likely be vilified by those who don't understand the rules... SO, I offered to take the next AC spawn, but NOT WIPE THE LIST, even though per the rules and past precedent, I should have done so and put myself at #1, starting over, and screwing everyone. But why? I didn't have a problem holding down the fort until I got my ring, in hopes that someone else who was next would finally log on and resume the list in good faith.

I expressed my intentions to the outgoing list-holder who already just got his ring - but he adamantly remained at the camp and claimed it was all his until someone else showed up. He claimed "I couldn't possibly check the entire list to see who was online before the agreed upon 2 PH's causes the list to reset!"

I should have deleted the list right then and there, but my silly conscience got the best of me again, and I still held out hope for a diplomatic and logical conclusion. Twenty minutes goes by (that's about 3 PH's), and he finally finds a nice halfling druid who was about #45 on the list, who had no idea of the context surrounding him being called to come take the camp. Now, I figure, "well, even though I'm at the bottom of the list now, at least half the list will be skipped since #45 is the next man up who's actually online."

But no. No, no, no. That's not what happened.

Instead of removing everyone who was offline or unable to come, and moving on to the person he DID eventually find at #45, he just moved that person to #1 and kept the entire list otherwise intact... resulting in 40 people - who were not even logged on for their turn remaining on the list unscathed.

But me? I only missed my turn by a little over an hour... and I was online the entire time sitting at the camp, albeit asleep for a few hours, but the list-holder's answer? Too bad, so sad. So, he can keep the list intact and hold the camp for as long as he wants until his pals show up, even after getting his ring, but I can't do the same, even though I have nothing? Again, I guess I should have just dropped 3 ice comets on the next spawn, but it wasn't #45's fault, and it would have been very rude to waste his time. He had no idea what was going on, and just showed up when he was called from another zone.

Of course, now with the time elapsed, more people further down the list started trickling in, and without knowing the full story, and made me out to be a monster for trying to negotiate to take the next spawn, even though I technically did all of them a unnecessary favor by not wiping the list before they even logged on, and allowing the previous list-holder to stall for 20 minutes until his buddy showed up.

In the end, I did not KS anyone, I did not kill any AC's, I preserved the list when I had a chance to wipe it, but I still do not have a ring, and 100 people who are probably still sleeping will get their chance before me (45 of which should have been deleted from the list but never were).

The people who run this list will likely defend it to the hilt because they probably get some type of equity toward loot for putting the time in to maintain it or whatever... but it's absolute dysfunctional nepotistic bullshit with zero accountability, and DEFINITELY NOT CLASSIC.

I know nothing will be done to change this, but one can hope. If you're not even logged on, you shouldn't be allowed to remain on any lists. If you want to play a game, then log on and fucking play it. Jesus Christ.

TL : DR -
In summary, my efforts to leave the AC list intact, instead of screwing over 100+ people by wiping it - which I was completely within my right to do - left me with absolutely nothing but slander from those for whom I actually did a favor. Thank you and GFY.

edit: grammar
Last edited by beh; 08-03-2020 at 11:18 AM..
Old 08-03-2020, 11:17 AM
Fire Giant

http://wiki.project1999.com/10_Dose_Blood_of_the_Wolf
Old 08-03-2020, 11:19 AM
Fire Giant

And if you want it as a clicky: http://wiki.project1999.com/Star_of_Eyes

There's literally no reason to waste time with this camp at all
Old 08-03-2020, 11:29 AM
Aviak

Thank you for your input, but there are a plethora of reasons why many classes, and specifically wizards, rely on jboots. They're also a requirement to join a number of guilds, and invaluable as a junk buff on raids from right now through the eventual terminal content of this server that is Velious.

But if you'd like to pay for me to blow through an average of 1.5 sow pots per day after kunark hits and I need to solo to get any xp, go ahead and send me a PM and we can set that up.
Old 08-03-2020, 11:40 AM
Kobold

As the host of the list, thank you for your feedback.

Moved to Resolved
Old 08-03-2020, 11:41 AM
Planar Protector

Time to implement /list at AC camp guys.
Old 08-03-2020, 11:42 AM
Server GM

You guys should just come to a player agreement that the player needs to be waiting there instead of just signing up for a list & not having to have a presence.
Old 08-03-2020, 11:43 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by beh [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Thank you for your input, but there are a plethora of reasons why many classes, and specifically wizards, rely on jboots. They're also a requirement to join a number of guilds, and invaluable as a junk buff on raids from right now through the eventual terminal content of this server that is Velious.

But if you'd like to pay for me to blow through an average of 1.5 sow pots per day after kunark hits and I need to solo to get any xp, go ahead and send me a PM and we can set that up.
I'm not sure I understand your point since you need clicky junk buffs that work indoors anyways for raiding? How do Jboots solve any raiding problems?

If you exp for 8 hours a day for 30 days that's barely equal to the cost of Jboots. And SoW pots are 20% faster (*Which means you level faster while quadding*). It's amazing 21 years later people still think Jboots are good. If you have the plat they most certainly are not.
Last edited by Widan; 08-03-2020 at 11:48 AM..
Old 08-03-2020, 11:44 AM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cawin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
As the host of the list, thank you for your feedback.

Moved to Resolved
Wow, you seem like a nice guy from previous encounters with you, but that was an extremely arrogant and dismissive response from someone who should be interested in something like this that publicly represents your guild as incapable of enforcing the rules that you created.

You might think you're doing the server population a favor with this type of list system, but you aren't. There is more daily drama surrounding this camp since this list went into effect than anything I've encountered on p99 in over 10 years. Nearly everyone that I've spoken to about it has complaints.
Old 08-03-2020, 11:45 AM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by galach [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You guys should just come to a player agreement that the player needs to be waiting there instead of just signing up for a list & not having to have a presence.
100% agreed, thank you for your voice of reason.
Closed Thread