Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 12-16-2019, 04:22 PM
Skeleton

I used to have that issue.
I installed WinEQ 2 and never had any other issues since then.

For the record, the game is installed on a SSD and I have an "alright" computer gaming wise.

Looking at your current ping of 298 MS... It's no wonder.
Old 12-16-2019, 04:29 PM
Large Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nore [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Looking at your current ping of 298 MS... It's no wonder.
Yeah that caused me some concern as well, and is what made me start thinking this had nothing to do with my PC or network, and that it was a traffic routing problem. I didn't have addresses to try tracerts to the actual server addresses so I could only do blanket extended ping tests to check for packet loss. I never got any loss, but something was up in the route my data was taking.

It appears to have fixed itself so whatever traffic routing issue my ISP was having is gone now. My ping is under 100 ms, and zoning is no longer an issue.
Old 12-16-2019, 04:47 PM
Kobold

Although I don't know the code, I have to assume each zone is its own process, its own world. When you zone there is a call made by your current zone to some kind of central switchboard and that makes the call to the next zone, handing off to it your player object and telling the new zone which zone line you're crossing and where on that line you're crossing.

For some reason, your client isn't receiving the response from the new zone, and so your client sits waiting for the response timeout, which I'd guess is 60 seconds.

Lots of things can cause that from code/data issues to all sorts of network problems. Frequently when you see either perfect success or total failure, that indicates one server in a pool is in a bad state but the rest are fine, but for some reason the bad one is still passing the LTM's health check, so it's luck of the draw whether you hit the bad one.
Old 12-16-2019, 05:47 PM
Sarnak

mashed potato
Old 12-16-2019, 06:30 PM
Orc

I've had a few times (2-3) in the past couple of months I have zoned with a very long load time. Nothing frequent or repetitive.

I think most can agree on latent connections that you will have a little trouble with connecting. IE seeing a blank servers list. My gut is this sometimes can be with zoning too.

Usually when I am on a latent connection or even a saturated one I start to see issues. For example if Im downloading a game update in steam at almost full bandwidth sometimes I have a hard time seeing the server select till the download is done. Mostly in logging in but maybe with zoning and I've never noticed since it is generally fast no matter what. SSD and general good connection etc.

But, check to see what your system is doing at the time outside of EQ and if it's downloading a bunch of stuff or streaming music etc while your running EQ, test cutting that off when you have problems and see if it improves in the moment. It may be network related etc.
Old 12-18-2019, 09:29 PM
Sarnak

This issue seems to be related to server population. Every time I've seen it statrt happening -- including tonight, it's prime time USA. There is something wrong with the server/local network. I only have about 90 ping to the server and am not dropping a bunch of packets. The server is just dumping my client for some reason. I'd like to know why. it works fine outide of primetime hours, then turns into complete dogshit when they arrive.
Old 12-18-2019, 09:39 PM
Sarnak

i just zoned at 50% life and came back dead because of this nonsense.
Old 12-18-2019, 09:46 PM
Planar Protector

This should be in rants and flames or technical forum. Either way u need to learn how to kneel to your superiors. Merry christmas.
Old 12-18-2019, 09:58 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by solleks [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This should be in rants and flames or technical forum. Either way u need to learn how to kneel to your superiors. Merry christmas.
That rare trifecta of low IQ, tiny penis, nothing to do with your life. Wear it well, my friend. Your pointless posts will rectify all your problems, I'm sure.
Old 12-18-2019, 10:56 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by axisofebola [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Half the time I zone now I get a massive load time 2+ miins. About 20% of the time it will take 5+ mins and i just kill the client cause its obviously not working. Then when i try to log back in I get "unknown error" for 3-5 mins when try to join server.
I have an SSD. I experience the same problem but it is less often. Id say about 5% of the time it takes about 2+ min to zone and maybe 1% of the time it is 5+ minutes. After waiting for a minute now I usually just force the client to close and login again.

No idea why it does that but it is rare enough for me I just ignore it.
Closed Thread