Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Priests

Closed Thread

Old 01-17-2020, 01:20 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorsmash [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Erudite with lich clicky mask. Mana regen,ultravision,skelly illusion.

I'll get the lights
But that item gets nerfed to fear right? Or do the pre-nerf versions stick around?

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 01-17-2020, 05:53 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
But that item gets nerfed to fear right? Or do the pre-nerf versions stick around?
You know I'm not sure now that I think about it, I thought it was changed not retro-nerfed. I'll have to check
Old 01-17-2020, 07:13 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorsmash [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

I'll get the lights
Humans can use the mask. And erudite can't follow inny.

And yes the mask gets nerfed month or 2 after it shows up. It was a strange addition to the game as at that point, as you would have thought verant learned its lesson from the manastone

One of the main reasons manastone was nerfed was that guilds were requiring perspective member, especially priest classes, to have one to join them.
Old 01-17-2020, 07:56 PM
Sarnak

go halfling, you will be asked more for SoW than rez. Ask me how I know.
Old 01-18-2020, 01:24 PM
Fire Giant

I see the High Elf argument for highest base CHA and you can really crank points into it while also having highest base WIS. If you are an "adventuring" cleric as opposed to a ~~~rAiD~~~ cleric this initially makes sense but really where it stops making sense is how you won't even have enough strength to wear all the plate you need to wear.

If you adventure and play solo/duo etc you really need all the AC and HP you can get because it truly does make a tremendous difference. I instantly notice the difference between having my AC buff on and not and the damage mitigation is quite substantial. I even notice the difference between wearing my 2hb staff and wearing my shield and scepter. There is a huge difference with 35 extra AC. You can symbol yourself, as well.

If you adventure yes you do need CHA but you cannot sacrifice AC at all because you -will- take hits. I understand the "what if you're naked" scenario for high base CHA but really that "what if" scenario applies to under one percent of the server population. Most of the clerics intend on being ~~~~~rAiD~~~~~ clerics and while they are leveling they're not doing anything besides sitting in full groups and casting heals, anyways.

The Inny snare neck is actually an incredible item and really shouldn't be undervalued. If you are adventuring you -will- use it. In reality you will rarely have someone with you that can snare, especially if you are going to be duo or trio. Even if you do, in my experience classes with a true snare aren't diligent about it at all because it's "too much work" to keep snare/root straight.

The 20% free damage from a snared fleeing mob adds up to being an incredible amount of saved mana over time. (Yes, I realize the snare neck doesn't actually stop the mob till 15%) This is getting into more complex math than the arithmetic used by P99 min/maxers to justify class/race choice. There are simply far too many ignored variables in these calcuations, most of which regard -actually playing EverQuest- and not --- "yes, this druid or wizard or ranger in my theoretical group that I never actually have and in fact don't even want in the first place is going to absolutely snare every single mob that we fight" It's absolutely preposterous when you really think about it.

If you are only going to group or get powerleveled then exclusively ~~~~~~~rAiD~~~~~~~ then Dwarf with full STA and rest into STR is the clear min/max choice. Halfling hide and sneak are nice and the stats arent bad at all but really the low CHA offsets their functionality as an adventuring cleric.

Where the high CHA classes besides Human fall short is their low strength. This significantly impacts their ability to wear plate and get their AC up which is imperative for a cleric that will be adventuring and will be in dangerous situations. Clerics take hits. Clerics calm and get crit resists sometimes. Clerics need to root mobs and do CC. Clerics cast nukes. Clerics stun broken pets and stun adds to grab agro and park them elsewhere. (Or do they do all these things???? Lol)

Inny Human with points into CHA at roll is the choice for an adventuring cleric. It's only 5 less base than High Elf. The snare neck is awesome and you will use it. You can always get a CHA buff because you will do some soloing but you won't be doing the most dangerous camps alone. If you know you won't be raiding it makes sense to put some points into WIS because you won't have the high WIS phats from ~~~~~~~~~rAiDs~~~~~~~~~. You need some form of a mana pool as a cleric but WIS is an overrated stat. If you have a manastone as many min/maxers would you don't need a deep mana pool whatsoever, at which point you dump entirely into CHA. I've seen clerics with Manastone and just wearing entirely +WIS gear and I really scratch my head when I do lol.

Really gearing in EQ is all about balance and staying alive. The rounded stats of Human including the high STR and CHA make it the choice for an adventuring cleric. Wear plate, get AC HP and resists, you need some mana pool but you're rarely full mana anyways so it's not the end all be all.

The fact is most ~cLeRiCs~ only sit and cast heals then join a ~~~~~~~~~~~rAiD gUiLd~~~~~~~~~~~ anyways at which point Dwarf is a great choice.

<The A-Team>
Last edited by Tuljin; 01-18-2020 at 01:44 PM..
Old 01-19-2020, 01:03 AM
Planar Protector

With clerics, my min max sense seems appeased with everything. Truly, its one of the most balanced classes among races.

You balance stat aggregate/lulling with Hide, the numerous good Cleric robes, faction, sneak, cultural, and then the clickies, and then sneak... even ultra/infravision matters since clerics one of the few classes don't get vision spells. Every race has awesome unique stuff between all that.
Old 01-20-2020, 01:15 AM
Orc

I went with dwarf over all the races with extra clickees just because I always wanted to play a dwarf and I think i would enjoy that race/class over a longer period. Plus now that I'm playing a dwarf I'm barrel rolling non-stop. I so enjoy clicking yaulp and barrel roll, like way too much.
Old 01-20-2020, 01:59 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:

I'll get the lights
It gets released with Paineel. You cannot create an erudite who can use it before Paineel. You need to be roughly lvl 40 or so to do the quest, or have a ton of help. It gets nerfed (retroactively) in Kunark, about 2 months after Paineel releases. So you have 2 months to level your cleric and then do the quest and then use it. Not worth.
Old 01-20-2020, 02:00 AM
Planar Protector

Erudite cleric is the best choice for fashion though.
Old 01-27-2020, 10:15 AM
Kobold

This is so odd, why so much debate? If one of the choices is dwarf, then it's obvious..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFXUYl2ljqI
Closed Thread