Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Old 09-03-2023, 06:26 PM
Planar Protector

Default Classic WoW Hardcore

Anyone playing this? Hardcore server ruleset with permadeath. It's actually pretty fun- got an adrenaline rush doing Fargodeep Mine. Pays to be deliberate, tradeskill/quest for gear etc, and work with other players.
Old 09-03-2023, 07:14 PM
Banned

I wanted to, but have been stumbling my noob ass through p99 trying to get to 60

I might though eventually. Normally I always play hunter but that seems too fotm and ez-mode for hardcore so if I did it’d probably be lock or spriest
Old 09-04-2023, 02:27 AM
Banned

Beginning of this is actually pretty brilliant NPC AI

The NPC mind controls the player mage, then immediately transitions into a channelled arcane missiles on the mind-controlled player, into a counterspell. Now I dunno if the mage has the talent, but that counterspell can also be a blanket silence, on an opponent mage which is super clutch. The NPC then uses an instant nuke on the mind-controlled player mage (fire blast) to kill the other one

Genius accidental AI kills a player lol

There’s also a decent duel to the death (hardcore servers have a duel where if you lose, you die for good, which is why so many people are watching). Both players make some big mistakes (like missing frost novas, sad), but the mage happens to make more than the hunter

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=
Last edited by unsunghero; 09-04-2023 at 02:31 AM..
Old 09-04-2023, 06:45 PM
Planar Protector

^ damn son, some terrible players in there lol

I play a paladin. The most glorious thing so far has been this: If you've ever played wow classic, you'll know people can be pretty skulldugerrous; they'll loot a quest item or node out from under you while you clear the mobs around it, if you don't see em or whatever.

Had a rogue unstealth and loot something while I was killing the mob near it. Whatever, happens. Few mins later he goes to kill something and gets an add. We're deep in a cave. He pops evasion, pots, almost wins, but gets struck the fuck down. I stood right next to him the whole time. Did I save his ass? HELL NO. What I did do was /e sensible chuckle
Last edited by Lune; 09-04-2023 at 06:48 PM..
Old 09-04-2023, 07:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lune [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
^ damn son, some terrible players in there lol

I play a paladin. The most glorious thing so far has been this: If you've ever played wow classic, you'll know people can be pretty skulldugerrous; they'll loot a quest item or node out from under you while you clear the mobs around it, if you don't see em or whatever.

Had a rogue unstealth and loot something while I was killing the mob near it. Whatever, happens. Few mins later he goes to kill something and gets an add. We're deep in a cave. He pops evasion, pots, almost wins, but gets struck the fuck down. I stood right next to him the whole time. Did I save his ass? HELL NO. What I did do was /e sensible chuckle
Ouch, sweet revenge

Yea, because there is literally zero customer service in WoW, it’s like the Wild West, everything goes. You can steal chests, train mobs, trick people to their deaths, go hog wild

Back in vanilla WoW used to actually spend some money on a GM team. No longer. At least it will be fun to watch people train and kill the hordes of upcoming bots, because anti-botting is also not enforced

In both classic (2019ish) and vanilla (2001) I was always a fairy honorable player. I played only on pvp realms, but never killed noobs, and wouldn’t ever try to kill someone low on health or fighting a mob. That didn’t mean I didn’t try to kill people. I would do it only towards people my own level and as a hunter I had a nice unique way to announce I was going to try to kill you by putting hunter’s mark on them [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 09-04-2023, 07:06 PM
Banned

I will admit though, I bet pulses are racing during one of those “Mak’gora” duels to the death on the hardcore servers

A bit unfair to hunters because there is a set invisible dueling radius and if you kite outside it you auto-forfeit. And forfeiting a “Mak’gora” duel to the death gives you a “coward” debuff which is 20% less damage dealt, -20% stats, and +20% damage taken for days. I like the theme but I have accidentally forfeited duels by kiting too far on hunter

Either way, once people get geared I only anticipate siphon life + soul link warlocks doing max level duels to the death. They were the kings of 1v1 with their insane tankiness and ability to summon and sac multiple pets
Old 09-04-2023, 07:14 PM
Banned

For anyone interested, this is some lore behind the duel to the death, “Mak’gora”. I had it shown and explained to me by a nerdy co-worker who was playing retail WoW

I had a huge crush on Sylvanas as a character, but I guess retail gone and fucked her up and made her turn pure evil, alienating both the horde and alliance who teamed up against her. That is why I believe in this clip you can see Anduin helping the horde char in his challenge of duel to the death, “Mak’gora” against Sylvanas

The thing about the lore is, you are not allowed to use magic in the duel (this obviously doesn’t apply to the game or everyone other than rogues and warriors would be fucked! Would be hilarious). But when Sylvanas uses magic to win she essentially loses

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=
Old 09-06-2023, 12:32 AM
Planar Protector

i casually mentioned this to my wife (whos first mmo was wow but hasnt played it in years) and now she wont stop talking to me about it. which surprises me a lot because my wife is not the type of person who enjoys anything remotely 'hardcore' and so the thought of her losing her character forever i figured would be an automatic no-go for her but alas i was wrong. she says she thinks it will make the game exciting again...and tbh after thinking about it i think shes right. as long as we make peace with losing our characters i think it sounds like a good time!

soooo i might be trying it out if not just to play with her as a duo squad. she wants to play a mage but idk what i'd play with her...maybe a warlock? or druid?

p.s. i know its a hot take bc everyone loves horde....even my wife....but i'm hoping i can talk her into playing alliance. gnomes/dwarves/night elves/humans > ugly orcs/jamaican tusk trolls/dead guys/cow hippies

Kellian Cove (60 Wood Elf Rogue)
Parra Doxx (55 Barbarian Shaman)

“This man is using his mind as a weapon …and woe be tide the creature who
steps into his garden" -Finch

Last edited by Evia; 09-06-2023 at 12:39 AM..
Old 09-06-2023, 01:12 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evia [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
i casually mentioned this to my wife (whos first mmo was wow but hasnt played it in years) and now she wont stop talking to me about it. which surprises me a lot because my wife is not the type of person who enjoys anything remotely 'hardcore' and so the thought of her losing her character forever i figured would be an automatic no-go for her but alas i was wrong. she says she thinks it will make the game exciting again...and tbh after thinking about it i think shes right. as long as we make peace with losing our characters i think it sounds like a good time!

soooo i might be trying it out if not just to play with her as a duo squad. she wants to play a mage but idk what i'd play with her...maybe a warlock? or druid?

p.s. i know its a hot take bc everyone loves horde....even my wife....but i'm hoping i can talk her into playing alliance. gnomes/dwarves/night elves/humans > ugly orcs/jamaican tusk trolls/dead guys/cow hippies
Mages are one of the S tier classic hardcore classes. They have the most defensives of any caster, good damage, amazing escapability. They have a high skill cap when it comes to aoe farming, which I recommend she not try for first char. It’s like charming and super-buffing pets, very high risk, high reward. It’s not needed to level, as she can do frost for better survivability or even fire for better efficiency with a duo. Just don’t do deep arcane tree

Both druid and warlock are highly fun involved classes. Druid would usually be feral spec, which is like a combination of caster, rogue, and warrior, shifting into the mechanics of each on a whim. You can do restoration for heal efficiency but it’s boring, and balance is garbage, don’t do balance ever

Warlock is a pet class with dots, similar to EQ necro. Less survivability than druid, but if you get fast with sacrificing voidwalker pets for the personal damage absorb, then using cooldown to instant-summon another, which you can then quickly sac before it dies, ideally, you can get a second damage absorb shield. This makes the lock extremely tanky once every 15min. Which should handle you from one oh shit moment to the next
Last edited by unsunghero; 09-06-2023 at 01:16 AM..
Old 09-06-2023, 01:14 AM
Banned

Alliance have significantly better racials and paladins > shaman for pve

Horde have significantly better racials for pvp, and no one is going to pvp on hardcore except crazy people doing that duel to the death, which I don’t recommend as some of these people doing that will be previous pvp champions with every consumable you could imagine ready to use on you. And there’s a lot of broken consumables in pvp, like things that instant stun or incapacitate. And if a player collects enough different ones and chains them they can lock you down from 100-0