Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 03-20-2019, 10:04 AM
Planar Protector

The max you can get is 10% xp on a single xp gain.

I was also wondering about the coding involved but ZEM is like the highest of coding secrets on P99.
Old 03-20-2019, 11:24 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legidias [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I was also wondering about the coding involved but ZEM is like the highest of coding secrets on P99.
This is very true.

ZEMs are almost completely unique in this project. For virtually every other decision ever made for P99, classic mechanics trumps classic experience. No one remembers OT hammers, midnight mallets, epic MQs, etc. being anything at all like they are here on P99, but despite being deeply unclassic as far as everyone's memory/experience, the devs keep them working that way because P99 is all about re-creating EQ's mechanics, just like they were on live ...

... EXCEPT for ZEMs. It's so odd how anomalous that one decision is.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 03-20-2019, 02:12 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This is very true.

ZEMs are almost completely unique in this project. For virtually every other decision ever made for P99, classic mechanics trumps classic experience. No one remembers OT hammers, midnight mallets, epic MQs, etc. being anything at all like they are here on P99, but despite being deeply unclassic as far as everyone's memory/experience, the devs keep them working that way because P99 is all about re-creating EQ's mechanics, just like they were on live ...

... EXCEPT for ZEMs. It's so odd how anomalous that one decision is.
And this is why I posed my question. From a large population stand point, it would make sense to make un-popular zones offer an incentive to level in them, such as the Gorge of King Xorb. Or, the bloodgills in lake omen. Not only does it draw people away from zones that are over-camped, it helps maintain support in other zones that people have to travel to. Best example of that would Dagnor's Cauldron as people run to Unrest.

Baritune - level 60 Bard
Weegee - level 40 Wizard

Representing the Sanctuary Guild as an officer. We're a group friendly red players looking enjoy Project99 without the shackles of the blue servers rules!
Old 03-20-2019, 03:19 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMN [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Confirmation bias related to larger mob level range while still conning blue.
This.

Mobs like bloodgills have 4-5 level range yet the difference in hp is barely noticeable, only how hard they hit. But the experience gained through each one is noticeable. heard once there’s an underwater zem and also a noob zone zem but that’s hard to confirm.
Old 03-20-2019, 04:02 PM
Planar Protector

As an aside, if anyone (or more like several anyones) wanted to work with me to do the (painful) research necessary to establish what the actual ZEMs are, I'd love to contribute to such a project. It's just that with all my wiki projects (and, you know, real life) I don't have time to do much more than farm for an hour and submit my data points.

The project would really need someone who's motivated and organized to lead it, and likely several other data contributors though.

Of course, as soon as we start figuring out the ZEMs the staff might change them in response, but hey at least if that happens we will have succeeded at rotating ZEMs, which is a victory in itself.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 03-20-2019, 04:28 PM
Planar Protector

ZEMs are mostly irrelevant when determining XP/Hour though. The real project would be to rank zones by xp/hour, but that's already effectively been done by the playerbase because that mirrors the Unrest > Mistmoore > CoM etc popular zone paths.

Also, IMO the ZEMs are poorly implemented here. Zones like Dalnir/Nurga/Droga with mobs that are significantly more difficult should have a much higher ZEM than they currently do. The whole point should be to balance out the difficult zones with a worthwhile risk/reward.
Last edited by jolanar; 03-20-2019 at 04:30 PM..
Old 03-20-2019, 05:12 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by jolanar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
ZEMs are mostly irrelevant when determining XP/Hour though. The real project would be to rank zones by xp/hour, but that's already effectively been done by the playerbase because that mirrors the Unrest > Mistmoore > CoM etc popular zone paths.

Also, IMO the ZEMs are poorly implemented here. Zones like Dalnir/Nurga/Droga with mobs that are significantly more difficult should have a much higher ZEM than they currently do. The whole point should be to balance out the difficult zones with a worthwhile risk/reward.
Would like to see rotating ZEMs like this instead of the inevitable shit show that green server will bring.

Kerra isle is a prime example. A zone that’s probably 80% closer to a portal than unrest is, with a metric shit ton of mobs and requires a lowbie to know their ass from a hole in the ground. Shame it’s empty.
Old 03-21-2019, 01:17 PM
Fire Giant

Think you all over thinking this.

Would be pain to set up "areas within a chunk " to having different xp rates.

1) How do you calculate the entire zone xp vs one area ?
2) How do you check to see if mob is the correct area to give the correct zem ?
3) It just easier to set a whole chunk to one zem

I rem how sony tended to just do what was the easiest fix for a problem. This makes sense whatever required the least amount of man hours is what they tended to do (from my personal view).

Anyhow my 2 cents.

-------------------------------------------------------------
Nilbog:

" I'll keep making classic changes when I can, regardless if people threaten to quit. I'm here to recreate classic eq; not to make people happy."
Last edited by Buellen; 03-21-2019 at 01:21 PM..
Old 03-21-2019, 01:23 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buellen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Think you all over thinking this.

Would be pain to set up "areas" having different xp rates.

1) How do you calculate the entire zone xp vs one area ?
2) How do you check to see if mob is the correct area to give the correct zem ?
3) It just easier to set a whole chunk to one zem

I rem how sony tended to just do what was the easiest fix for a problem. This makes sense whatever required the least amount of man hours is what they tended to do (from my personal view).

Anyhow my 2 cents.
I'm not at all convinced that there are area ZEMs, but if they did exist their implementation would not be difficult (nor would it require much extra work from Verant devs, since we all know they weren't fans of extra work):
  1. Devs draw an area on the map
  2. Any mobs that spawn within that line get bonus (or reduced) XP

Closed Thread