Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Melee

Closed Thread

Old 10-01-2013, 03:59 PM
Aviak

This is a very good comparison of weapons and has helped me make a few decisions on how to equip with what I have when I've had it, but the math isn't quite there...

The actual equation for DPS would be quite a bit more complicated involving Hit Chance, Mob Defense, random #s for hits between min and max, etc. A few people at TSW and Monkly Business got into some pretty complex calcs and compared against empirical parses to come up with constants to skew accordingly. Problem with that is you only have comparisons at convenient levels (60, 65, 70, etc.) and generally assume max stats/skills.

You could get into that yourself if you assumed "max weapon dps" with a formula something like:
2H DPS = (WeaponDPS(1 + DA%))*k
DW 1H DPS = (PrimaryDPS(1 + DA%) + DW%(SecondaryDPS(1 + DA%)))*k

Where WeaponDPS = ((DMG*2)+DMG BONUS)/DELAY or a more complex formula involving weapon skill + str and all that. Don't know where p99s damage model is at atm.
Then your k factor would account for your hit rate, mob defense (in trials should probably parse against same mobs), specific level, and spectrum of damage.

TL;DR
/engineer
Old 10-03-2013, 06:50 PM
Aviak

Edit: I'm just going to step out of this.
Last edited by crkhobbit; 10-03-2013 at 06:52 PM..
Old 10-05-2013, 02:23 PM
Aviak

I cant believe Wu's Quivering Staff is so high up on the list and its so cheap... I was looking for an upgrade for that and was going to get a baton of faith but I guess i'll just save my money for better gear...
Old 12-03-2013, 01:09 PM
Fire Giant

After going through this in more detail some of these numbers they just dont jive with my own calculator. For instance what damage bonus are you using for t staff at level 60? What dual wield chance are you using pre-skill cap? Can you show the equation used to generate a set of your figures say epic+sos at 60 and tstaff at 60 for comparison please.
Old 12-03-2013, 06:15 PM
Sarnak

This seems more accurate to me with my limited testing that I've done so far. Thanks for working on this and taking community input!

Life's hard when you're stupid.
Old 12-04-2013, 02:56 AM
Planar Protector

I played around with both the Tranquil Staff and the Fist/SoS combo in Kaesora tonight. I was switching back and forth pretty frequently but I'd probably eyeball the Fist/SoS combo as about 5% more damage. Most of that would probably be recovered by the staff proc if I was 50, though.
in words of anal fingers, just a filthy spaniard
Old 12-04-2013, 10:19 AM
Sarnak

The lower your melee DPS, the closer the DPS of T-Staff and Epic/SoS combo will be due to T-Staff proc. At around 50 DPS they will even out, below T-Staff should do more and above Epic/SoS should do more.
Stunz Andmezs - 60 Enchanter
Bripip - 60 Wizard
Bogmuk - 59 Warrior
Rational - 55 Shaman
Paradoxy - 42 Ranger
Old 12-05-2013, 06:27 PM
Fire Giant

The revised chart looks pretty good but I think without dual wield/double attack modifiers in there it doesn't tell the whole story. Another thing to consider when levelling a monk is that dual wield skill caps around level 39-40 at 252 favoring dual wield over 2h even more. Think the formula for dual wield chance is (Level + dual wield skill)/400 for a monk
Old 12-06-2013, 01:31 AM
Sarnak

Dual Wield and DA modifiers are in the dps calcs.... don't know what you're looking at.
Stunz Andmezs - 60 Enchanter
Bripip - 60 Wizard
Bogmuk - 59 Warrior
Rational - 55 Shaman
Paradoxy - 42 Ranger
Old 12-06-2013, 05:34 PM
Sarnak

For leveling monks, I parsed my whole journey from 1-50 so figured I'd throw in a little anecdotal input. As poster above said, it changes as you level. Weapons I had on hand were Peacebringer, IFS, AC, SoS, and a couple of jade maces. I swapped weapons each level to keep skills capped

1-10 Can't beat dual jade mace.
10-20 I used AC/SoS from here on out, clearly beat maces once dmg cap raised to 28.
20-35ish, couldn't beat peacebringer with 1hers. It was just better. IFS was just as good as peacebringer after level 30.
Around 35, AC/SoS caught back up and pulled ahead through the late 30s and on into the 40s.

Thus far, 2h hasn't overtaken DW for me up to 52. I am epic'd now, so mostly using fist/AC and fist/SoS.

Life's hard when you're stupid.
Closed Thread