Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 12-20-2018, 02:54 PM
Large Bat

Question Picking a class for end game?

Howdy,

I would like some advice on picking a class relative to the current state of the server @ lvl 55+. I'm a group & guild focused player & my favorite part of the game is hanging with some friends or guildies in high level camps, or helping people with getting their epic drops. In other words, I'm not the type to just go solo farm loot for example. So, with that in mind:

(1) How hard is it to find some people to hang out and go to Juggs, HS, SG, Brood Mother, etc? I assume most people go to these places with guildies or just a couple of friends. I want to experience that content again.

(2) Are there any classes that groups need more of at the high level right now? i.e., is it quite obvious that there are plenty of clerics and shamans, so maybe I should pick something else?

I realize that to some people asking this might sound superfluous, but I don't want to roll a cleric only to find out in 8-12 weeks that there are already tons of them and in fact guilds/groups really need a bard, shaman, SK, etc.

I guess most people are going to say, 'just play what you like', so I was going to roll a chanter or cleric, but I would make a bard or something else instead if they are in high demand at end game right now. I can't handle a war, rogue, or monk, though. They're just not my style.

Any thoughts? ty
Old 12-20-2018, 03:01 PM
Planar Protector

I doubt people are usually primed to go to SG, but maybe that's changed. Usually need guild for that. HS you could probably get non guildies to come, juggs I think usually guilds do that but you could probably find non guildies to do that too. Broodmother I don't think is too much of a problem gathering folks?

Most people you end up grouping with 55+ probably have a range of characters they can play. If you're talking about high level dungeons then ENC/BARD would probably be fun. If you're talking "raiding" at the highest level ENC is pretty redundant for a lot of fights. Clerics are always wanted but are boring IMO, at least if they're played the way groups expect you to play them.
Old 12-20-2018, 03:03 PM
Planar Protector

With enough warriors and clerics you can kill every raid mob in the game, every other class is optional.

Cleric fits your description the best, but lets face it, clerics are pretty boring.

Clerics/warriors/rouges are the only "in demand" classes for raiding, but you can raid with any guild on whatever characters you like to play. I for example mainly play a necromancer.
Frostbane Wolfeye - Green99 - 54 Shaman
Cruetraxa Macequest - Green99 - 60 Necromancer
Snowleopard Wu'Tong - Green99 - 60 Monk
Lobsterhands - Green99 - 55 Cleric
#FreeWuTang
Old 12-20-2018, 03:12 PM
Sarnak

1) All of the camps you listed are able to be duo'd. Juggs is the only one that would require a shaman/monk pair, while the other 3 are best suited to a cleric/charm class. An enchanter would be able to tackle the 3 camps, while a necro could do HS and a druid could do SG.

2) For exp grouping at 55+ it's hard to pin down what's "most needed". Enchanters are great for buffs, CC and charm pet dps. Clerics are always in demand for their healing and rez. Tanks always seem tough to find, but realistically you only ever need 1 at a time. Classes like monks or rogues can be taken in multiples, whereas a bard or a shaman loses their utility with more being added.

IMO if you're looking to play a class that fits into small group content for farming while still being highly desirable for raiding I'd go with either monk or cleric.
Old 12-20-2018, 03:55 PM
Large Bat

Thanks for the replies.

I wouldn't mind playing a raid cleric again... they are boring as all get out just casting in the chain, but I would play one to be able to raid. I really enjoy healing in end-game group content. I would really like to play a mage CoTH-bot, but the idea of never being able to even get close to the epic pet is such a bummer. My fav class is a chanter overall.

Is the standard MO to just pick a class, level it to 60 and then shop around for a guild? This method perplexes me b/c my thought process is I may inadvertently pick a class no one really needs in a guild, and then I have to spend another 3+ months leveling something else. (probably would do that anyway, lol)
Old 12-20-2018, 04:11 PM
Planar Protector

paladin
Fauvana 60 Erudite Necromancer
Erjav 60 Human Bard
Enjamini 60 Human Magician
Deepwalter 60 Erudite Paladin
Seliel 60 Human Rogue
Enjoii 54 Dark Elf Warrior
Old 12-20-2018, 04:13 PM
Planar Protector

Like I said - Warriors and Clerics are the only mandatory classes. If your guild lacks warriors or clerics then you wont be raiding anything, if you have enough warriors and clerics then it doesn't matter what other classes you have. I love P99 and EQ in general, but it really is as simple as "tank/healer" when you break it down and remove the fluff.

A lot of the top tier guilds only recruit people level 50+ or 55+, however there are many leveling guilds on the server. Check out the guild recruitment forum
Frostbane Wolfeye - Green99 - 54 Shaman
Cruetraxa Macequest - Green99 - 60 Necromancer
Snowleopard Wu'Tong - Green99 - 60 Monk
Lobsterhands - Green99 - 55 Cleric
#FreeWuTang
Old 12-20-2018, 04:18 PM
Banned

Most guilds will take any committed player, regardless of the class.

You can't really go wrong as long as you enjoy playing it.
Old 12-20-2018, 04:52 PM
Planar Protector

Lots of guilds have shared accounts where you can borrow a key class character.

If you're willing to log onto one of these 'shared' accounts it doesn't really matter what class you play levelling up.
Old 12-20-2018, 05:25 PM
Planar Protector

Rogue, Cleric War Wiz

-Shinko Guild Leader <Safe Space> Green
Closed Thread