Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 03-16-2019, 08:38 PM
Sarnak

Default Returning player wondering about leveling and high population.

Hello all. Just reinstalled P99 after the Mangler TLP launch debacle.

Haven't played in a couple of years and I can't believe how much higher the pop is now. I seem to recall it maxing out at prime time at around 800 people or so. Why are there so many more people playing now...is there any consensus?

I have a 35 Wizard as my character and I am debating whether I should keep playing him or roll a new toon. I have read Wizards can have a hard time getting groups and am not interested in doing much soloing. I would like to level in a group as much as possible.

If i were to reroll, are there any classes I should avoid if I want to be able to find groups? Classes that interest me are Rogue, Magician, Paladin or Necro.

Also, how is the low level grouping scene these days?

Thanks!
Old 03-16-2019, 08:53 PM
Planar Protector

If you want to group as much as possible, you should roll a rogue. You will sacrifice virtually all your solo ability, however.

I'd try making some cash on your wizard via porting so you can boost your rogue up with some items and such. It will help you get groups if you are actually decently equipped, and you might have to solo a decent bit at low levels, so some nice gear will make it that much more palatable and expedient.
Old 03-16-2019, 10:26 PM
Fire Giant

I will second if you want to group and be dps on p99 roll a rogue, p99 has a hard-on for rogues I was literally in a group on my cleric with 4 rogues and a warrior once
Foxlich [60 Necromancer] Foxplosion [60 Wizard]
Foxstab [60 Rogue] /Foxcharming [60 Enchanter] / Foxfrenzy [60 Warrior]
Old 03-16-2019, 10:43 PM
Fire Giant

Also the reason p99 is doing well on population is they continue to do things well and are consistent

Not saying it's perfect...the raid scene is very crowded and can be toxic, and at the moment we are running with very limited guide/GM numbers

But they are consistent and focus on their goal of the most classic experience possible, simple as that
Old 03-17-2019, 01:26 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMN [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If you want to group as much as possible, you should roll a rogue. You will sacrifice virtually all your solo ability, however.

I'd try making some cash on your wizard via porting so you can boost your rogue up with some items and such. It will help you get groups if you are actually decently equipped, and you might have to solo a decent bit at low levels, so some nice gear will make it that much more palatable and expedient.
Do NOT roll a rogue unless you are prepared to dump a TON of plat on equipment. p99 has no tolerance for non-twinks and this is especially true for rogues. Much better to pick a solo class and gear that char up.
Old 03-17-2019, 06:24 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

I think a lot of it has to do with that there just isn't a lot of great MMO's being released anymore. Even WoW is getting long in the teeth and people are getting bored [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] I know with the last expansion I only played for about 4-6 months and have no desire to buy the next one.

Nostalgia > All <3
Old 03-17-2019, 07:03 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilstoniakrath [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Do NOT roll a rogue unless you are prepared to dump a TON of plat on equipment. p99 has no tolerance for non-twinks and this is especially true for rogues. Much better to pick a solo class and gear that char up.
Did you even bother to read his post? maybe try that next time.
Old 03-17-2019, 08:29 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilstoniakrath [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I disagree on needing a "ton" of plat... A crystalline spider fang and a frozen shard... Some other cheap velious piercer is plenty. Maybe a haste item to make dps from 1 to 46 better.

Dont need a fungi or anything. Most grps are happy enough just to have more rogues
Old 03-17-2019, 08:41 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
I feel like this couldn't be any less true. In my opinion Rogues are probably the least gear dependent of any melee class in the game.. Unless you're seriously gonna count Bard as a melee class (hehe.) Even further off is P99 having no tolerance for non-twinks. Sure there are gonna be some jaded folks at the high end that may wince a little bit if their Rogue in King is replaced by anything short of a primal Rogue with a CoL but at that point you're 55+ and OP is talking about rolling a new character.

I've never once seen or heard of a player getting denied a group or anything else due to their poor gear. Honestly I probably get more enjoyment out of meeting and grouping with new players wielding rusty weapons and wearing raw hide armor than I do a group of multiple fungi twinks when playing low or mid level content.
[51 Champion] Logue (Halfling)
Old 03-17-2019, 10:20 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gozuk [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I feel like this couldn't be any less true. In my opinion Rogues are probably the least gear dependent of any melee class in the game.. Unless you're seriously gonna count Bard as a melee class (hehe.) Even further off is P99 having no tolerance for non-twinks. Sure there are gonna be some jaded folks at the high end that may wince a little bit if their Rogue in King is replaced by anything short of a primal Rogue with a CoL but at that point you're 55+ and OP is talking about rolling a new character.

I've never once seen or heard of a player getting denied a group or anything else due to their poor gear. Honestly I probably get more enjoyment out of meeting and grouping with new players wielding rusty weapons and wearing raw hide armor than I do a group of multiple fungi twinks when playing low or mid level content.
I stand by my original post. Got a rash of sh-t comments when playing a rogue who didn't have his epic and said F this, I will spend my plat on other chars, I do not need the negativity. If others enjoy playing rogues and do not mind spending the plat needed to gear them up, more power to you.
Closed Thread