Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 03-20-2019, 07:07 AM
Kobold

Default Starting to get frustrated :(

Definitely the core EQ experience! [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

My main is an enchanter - LVL 12 and I've been stuck there for 4 days. CB is hard to get groups (so busy) and soloing there with whatever yard trash is available (light greens) doesn't move the needle.

Went to unrest, and no groups there for low teens (even with 40 people in zone) so I went to Steamfont to solo Minos and charm rarely lasts long enough to justify the mana cost. I keep dying now, further compounding the frustration. Made it back to windmills with 3% health and 1% mana and Halv wouldn't attack the rogue clockwork on my tail. Is he on the take? [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Can't afford gear - heck, can't even afford my spells! Found some nice people to guild with so chatting is fun, but playing the game is quickly not becoming fun.

You can tell the server is dominated by alts and twins from the longtime players based on the low level charts fully decked out and there is an equal dose of envy and jealousy there too. You think "someday I can get there, when my chanter is high enough to farm for gear for alts" but then you read all of the spawns are always taken.

Definitely the core EQ experience [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

(I know it sounds negative, put a smattering of smiley faces throughout as I get it - I beta'd and played EQ core for many years at launch. Just sharing the new player frustration to vent and take a deep breath...)
Old 03-20-2019, 07:39 AM
Banned

Just stay with it!

Stay in CB, keep LFG on and do a "/ooc XX Enc LFG!" every half hour or so. Solo what you can at zone in, and look for other people near entrance to start a duo, build it into a trio, etc.

Once you hit 16 you get breeze and haste (quickness). Find a tank / monk + healer and off you go in a great trio.

You're in the most difficult part of the game. Keep going.

I can't play for the next couple of days, but hit me up this weekend I have some old cheap enc gear in my bank.
Old 03-20-2019, 07:53 AM
Fire Giant

I started off with nothing August of last year. Tailored my own Raw Silk, grouped in Kurn's, left with 600pp in bonechips from 9-20 and probably a couple hundred in fine steel drops.

If you played in beta and played the real game for a few years, you have thick skin already! Stick with it, or if you don't find it fun, there's a ton of other games out there that're fun. Devil May Cry 5 and Ace Combat 7 to name a couple.

P99B Strazha (60 Warlock) [Iksar]
P99B Sstrix (60 Warlord) [Iksar]
P99B Sickjams (5 Bard) [EC Mule]
P99G Sauna (51 Channeler) [Gnome]
P99R Sseri (54 Mystic) [Iksar]
VZ/TZ '08-'09 Lurgort (60 Shaman) [Barbarian] <Eight Inches Unbuffed>
Old 03-20-2019, 08:03 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurgort/Sseri [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I started off with nothing August of last year. Tailored my own Raw Silk, grouped in Kurn's, left with 600pp in bonechips from 9-20 and probably a couple hundred in fine steel drops.

If you played in beta and played the real game for a few years, you have thick skin already! Stick with it, or if you don't find it fun, there's a ton of other games out there that're fun. Devil May Cry 5 and Ace Combat 7 to name a couple.
How is he getting to kurns? The dude is a newb you expect him to get to kurns? And how did you get spells? he's not going to have money to buy his stuff in advance.

Reality is low level enchanter is pretty gritty. You just gotta find a way to grind through it. Try a different class if you can't hack it. You probably picked enchanter because you read how uber it is later on. This is your price of admission.
Old 03-20-2019, 08:13 AM
Sarnak

Remember, with a server full of fat cats they are willing to pay for low level duties that they themselves don't want to farm. Bonechips are a good one, I've seen some people selling in EC for 8-10pp per stack, that'd get you started for sure.
Powerful 51 Iksar Monk
Old 03-20-2019, 08:15 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMN [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
How is he getting to kurns? The dude is a newb you expect him to get to kurns? And how did you get spells? he's not going to have money to buy his stuff in advance.

Reality is low level enchanter is pretty gritty. You just gotta find a way to grind through it. Try a different class if you can't hack it. You probably picked enchanter because you read how uber it is later on. This is your price of admission.
I had a 55 warrior and 55 enchanter on Test back in live / launch era, but yeah, did not remember things being THIS tough. I mean, rose colored glasses and all that no doubt.

Getting to 12 was fun, just hit a weird bump in the road. Will grind through it.

Thanks for the words of encouragement everyone =)

(PS - when did the Mino Lord get added? I remembered camping at the wheelbarrow for hours as a low level Gnome, now he is constantly in the area ruining all the fun =P
Old 03-20-2019, 08:18 AM
Planar Protector

Beetles and zombies are great exp at 12 to solo as a chanter in unrest...
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isey [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I had a 55 warrior and 55 enchanter on Test back in live / launch era, but yeah, did not remember things being THIS tough. I mean, rose colored glasses and all that no doubt.

Getting to 12 was fun, just hit a weird bump in the road. Will grind through it.

Thanks for the words of encouragement everyone =)

(PS - when did the Mino Lord get added? I remembered camping at the wheelbarrow for hours as a low level Gnome, now he is constantly in the area ruining all the fun =P
What were your test server names?
Fire Giant

OP, "Dial A Port" are very friendly and probably wouldn't mind buffing / porting you to EJ so you can head to Kurn's Tower if you send a tell to one of them and state you're new, looking to get out of the difficult low levels. Zone experience mod is insane in there!

P99B Strazha (60 Warlock) [Iksar]
P99B Sstrix (60 Warlord) [Iksar]
P99B Sickjams (5 Bard) [EC Mule]
P99G Sauna (51 Channeler) [Gnome]
P99R Sseri (54 Mystic) [Iksar]
VZ/TZ '08-'09 Lurgort (60 Shaman) [Barbarian] <Eight Inches Unbuffed>
Old 03-20-2019, 08:25 AM
Aviak

If you're just wanting to make it out of your rut I'd head to West Commonlands and either kill roaming mobs or derv camp. Usually tons of people at rings so it's not hard to get some helpful cleric, shaman, druid, or enchanter buffs to make the process easier. I leveled from 3-15 in WC very quickly.