Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Casters

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-01-2019, 05:28 AM
kabouter kabouter is offline
Aviak


Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 53
Default Enchanter for a casual player

I'm planning to play a bit of P1999 again once the green server launches.

I used to play a bard on live, but right now I can only do short sessions and have to constantly go AFK. Back in the day I was charm kiting and I simply can't go AFK for a minute and come back with the bard.
Besides that my ping on P1999 is pretty bad (300ms) and I'd rather not get carpal tunnel from the twisting.

A Necromancer would be good, but I assume the Iksar race won't be available yet when it launches and from what I read Iksar is by far the best option for a necro.

Now the enchanter is something I think I'd really enjoy playing and can solo pretty well. However I'm not so sure how "casual" friendly it is. Let's say the door bell rings is it easy to just camp and exit? Because this was impossible with the Bard back in the day. And is it a good class for short (30min) solo sessions or will the preparation for charming take up too much time?

Or would a necro be a better choice even without the iksar natural regeneration?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-01-2019, 09:05 AM
snyder43 snyder43 is offline
Sarnak


Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 337
Default

If the doorbell rings and your charmed pet breaks while camping, you're gonna be in trouble. That being said, I leveled my enchanter by playing fairly casually, so it is doable. There are plenty of times I'd log in, clear a camp (20-30 min), and log out. The charming set up is easy and doesn't require a ton of mana or time. If you envision yourself having to instantly camp every session though, I might suggest necro since you can FD. Or, just bind in the next zone over and gate/unplug.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-01-2019, 09:06 AM
Legidias Legidias is offline
Planar Protector


Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 1,623
Default

Bard charm kiting is way more lenient to afk sessions than enchanter charm kiting if thats your thing.

If you want the panic AFK, just roll monk.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-01-2019, 11:20 AM
Sacer Sacer is offline
Kobold


Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 167
Default

I never understood why people think enchanters are not afk friendly, just bind in a safe spot near your killing spot but far enough so the mobs leash, that way if you have to afk you press gate then /q it doesn't take long at all and it's 100% safe.

If you absolutely want to stay in that area you can also break charm and use a long mez duration so you have time to safely camp. (Enthrall at lvl 16 is already a 48 seconds mez)

At high level you can also use blanket it's amazing.

Sure it's not as convenient as feign death but it's really not that bad.
Last edited by Sacer; 09-01-2019 at 11:23 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-01-2019, 10:49 PM
kabouter kabouter is offline
Aviak


Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 53
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by snyder43 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If the doorbell rings and your charmed pet breaks while camping, you're gonna be in trouble. That being said, I leveled my enchanter by playing fairly casually, so it is doable. There are plenty of times I'd log in, clear a camp (20-30 min), and log out. The charming set up is easy and doesn't require a ton of mana or time. If you envision yourself having to instantly camp every session though, I might suggest necro since you can FD. Or, just bind in the next zone over and gate/unplug.
It wouldn't be every session I hope [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]. But I still estimate once every 5 sessions, probably the gate/unplug method would be best then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legidias [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Bard charm kiting is way more lenient to afk sessions than enchanter charm kiting if thats your thing.

If you want the panic AFK, just roll monk.
I haven't played in a long time, but the way I used to do it back in the day was I'd round up a bunch of mobs. Charm 1, let the others almost kill him and then break charm and kill him myself.
The only way for me to survive that train of mobs would be with selo and autorun. /quit and hope I'm still alive after that [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.].
But either way with my ping as high as it is I don't think a bard would be good, besides I'm no fan of swarm kiting, I'd rather do some dungeon charming (which I'm pretty sure is disastrous if I have to AFK/camp with my bard, due to the low charm duration).
And I don't like playing a monk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacer [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I never understood why people think enchanters are not afk friendly, just bind in a safe spot near your killing spot but far enough so the mobs leash, that way if you have to afk you press gate then /q it doesn't take long at all and it's 100% safe.

If you absolutely want to stay in that area you can also break charm and use a long mez duration so you have time to safely camp. (Enthrall at lvl 16 is already a 48 seconds mez)

At high level you can also use blanket it's amazing.

Sure it's not as convenient as feign death but it's really not that bad.
Thanks sounds I'll just give the Enchanter a shot when Green launches, unless for some reason iksars are available at the start and then I'll pick a necro.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-02-2019, 01:54 AM
Canelek Canelek is offline
Fire Giant

Canelek's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 690
Default

Not sure what you mean by kiting, but if you are charming a mob and not paying attention, then go AFK for a moment, chances are you will be at your bind point when you return.

You mention charming a mob and letting a group of mobs almost kill, then breaking charm to finish it off. Yes, that is one of the best ways to go about things on an enchanter. But, even if you have everything rooted nicely with PE, odds are that once you leave your chair, something bad will happen to you. Such is enchantering. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Fun class, but not an AFK class. If idle and a DE, you can always use Hide, and con a mob to check to see if Hide worked. You just don't want to mess around with leaving a charmed pet alone for any period of time.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-02-2019, 02:06 AM
kabouter kabouter is offline
Aviak


Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 53
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canelek [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Not sure what you mean by kiting, but if you are charming a mob and not paying attention, then go AFK for a moment, chances are you will be at your bind point when you return.
Sorry I meant playing as a bard in outdoor zones. There was definitely no way I could go afk until I finished my kiting.

Quote:
You mention charming a mob and letting a group of mobs almost kill, then breaking charm to finish it off. Yes, that is one of the best ways to go about things on an enchanter. But, even if you have everything rooted nicely with PE, odds are that once you leave your chair, something bad will happen to you. Such is enchantering. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Fun class, but not an AFK class. If idle and a DE, you can always use Hide, and con a mob to check to see if Hide worked. You just don't want to mess around with leaving a charmed pet alone for any period of time.
I see in my initial post I put down going afk for a minute. But actually what I was more interested in is if I can have enough time to camp or gate in the middle of a fight. So in case the doorbell rings, wife calls, etc.. I can leave the game without dying every time (which would have been the case back in the day with the bard).

p.s. I was planning on playing the DE enchanter (or a gnome necro)
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-02-2019, 02:39 AM
Canelek Canelek is offline
Fire Giant

Canelek's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 690
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabouter [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Sorry I meant playing as a bard in outdoor zones. There was definitely no way I could go afk until I finished my kiting.


I see in my initial post I put down going afk for a minute. But actually what I was more interested in is if I can have enough time to camp or gate in the middle of a fight. So in case the doorbell rings, wife calls, etc.. I can leave the game without dying every time (which would have been the case back in the day with the bard).

p.s. I was planning on playing the DE enchanter (or a gnome necro)
Ohhhh I see. Yeah, mezz or AoE mezz then gate away yup.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-03-2019, 05:27 AM
commongood commongood is offline
Fire Giant


Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 575
Default

Even without being able to pick iksar I'd still roll a necro. The FD and solo power is exactly what you're after when you need to afk at the drop of a hat. Gnomes, Dark Elves etc still get the same spell book as iksars [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-03-2019, 09:10 AM
Jimjam Jimjam is offline
Planar Protector


Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 6,523
Default

You can always die and CR LATER?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:09 PM.


Everquest is a registered trademark of Daybreak Game Company LLC.
Project 1999 is not associated or affiliated in any way with Daybreak Game Company LLC.
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.