Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 05-01-2016, 01:49 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Default New casual player

Hi all,

After 16 years im back playing EQ i guess. I have some questions where I hope you guys (and gals) have answers for [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

How is the server population fit for casual players? Back in the old days I had enough time to spare but nowadays I have not. Would a casual player like me have enough chance to level up in this game and pick a raid once in a while? I have a few nights (GMT +1) where I can spend like 5 hours straight.

Also I wonder what class would have the most chance of getting picked up for groups. I take it the cleric would, but perhaps there is a shortage in same of the classes on this server.

Thanks for answering If you do [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 05-02-2016, 07:59 AM
Aviak

Welcome!

As a truly casual player myself (someone who gets 2-4 hours per week, if lucky), I can say that the newbie zone population is very good. I've never had an entire newbie zone to myself and there are always other players running around. Everyone is generally friendly and you will often see higher level players passing through who will sometimes give you some buffs or other kinds of help.
Old 05-02-2016, 08:13 AM
Planar Protector

Omni/Europa are good choices for your time zone... but the golden rule is not to play a class for the sake of "fitting in" and not enjoying it. Play what you want to play - whether it's something you never tried on the live servers or something you know you enjoyed and would pick up again <3
Old 05-02-2016, 09:17 AM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swish [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Play what you want to play
Completely agree.
Old 05-02-2016, 11:21 AM
Large Rat

im also a new returning player. I considered rolling a caster/hybrid due to it being easier to farm early on, but went with my gut and rolled a warrior cause that's what I enjoy playing most. Glad I did, it wasn't long before I got a few hand-me-downs from higher ups.
Old 05-02-2016, 02:22 PM
Fire Giant

when making a character, dont worry about what you think the server will need. pick what class / race you will have the most fun with.
Old 05-02-2016, 02:28 PM
Sarnak

I would highly recommend lurking the p99 wiki and glancing at each class description. A lot of today's p99 playerbase is well-versed in mechanics and expected play style so if your a bit rusty, no one will bug you to much about it but expect most groups to be on point if your a supporting class like a chanter/cleric. I would say it depends on what you had most fun with and are familiar with. Or like swish said, play a class you have never dabbled in and make it your main so you are learning something new in places you have been before. Welcome back!
Old 05-02-2016, 02:30 PM
Fire Giant

There's been a tank shortage ever since I got on. Suspect it's still going on, as people aren't terribly interested in grinding a tank to the endgame. So if you really care about being picked up for groups more quickly, you could try that.

That having been said low level groups will take just about anyone so I wouldn't worry about it too much. "Play what you'd like" is good advice here if you are casual.
Crallos Rek - 35 ogre shaman
Timothe - 31 human enchanter
Variol Cutthroat - 27 human paladin
Telehr - 23 human magician
Old 05-02-2016, 02:35 PM
Aviak

Yea, pick the class that's the most fun or appealing for sure. I invited a wizard and mage to my party in the 30's last night. Sometimes, it's harder to find a tank, or a healer, but it always seems to work itself out. I am playing bard, and I buff/dd/cc/pull/tank/heal... I have spammed regen with my lute out and AC buffs when we had no healer, other times I have had to spam snare to tank for a couple rogues, or sit back and spam manasong and focus CC/mez/charm with no enchanter.

Last night, it came down to just me and a higher level monk pulling for an hour or so, with a few outside heals.

Whatever you do, just be prepared to be flexible and nice, and you'll get groups without a problem. If you're super concerned, roll a warrior or a cleric, but I've had plenty of groups with no real tank, or a monk tank, or me tanking, or with 0 heals... You make it work.

People here are generally nice so far and just want to have a good time.

The MOST played classes by far seem to be Druid and Shaman, but I've fit multiple into my groups no problem.

I often worry about playing Bard sometimes because I see so many people leveling them, but I tend to notice them more. it hasn't really affected my play experience in the long run. Ends up that I worry too much about getting groups, and never really have a problem. It's much easier all around after the hybrid XP/group XP change though.
Last edited by Zheta; 05-02-2016 at 02:43 PM..
Old 05-02-2016, 03:46 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Cool. Thanks for all the replies guys [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Yeah I will just play the class I like to play. Got myself a cleric which is lvl 11 already.
/cheers
Closed Thread