Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 05-03-2016, 10:13 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

You should start a mage.
2nd best nuker, best pet, clicksticks (mana rod).

I had tons of fun with my mage on live back in the days. The epic is also AWESOME, good stats + uber pet.
Old 05-03-2016, 10:14 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyder73 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If you don't want to be an Iskar and you don't want to be viewed as evil by NPC's... then necro is the completely wrong choice for you
This is what I am afraid of for necro. Just love the play style...
Old 05-03-2016, 10:18 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by k3vil [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You should start a mage.
2nd best nuker, best pet, clicksticks (mana rod).

I had tons of fun with my mage on live back in the days. The epic is also AWESOME, good stats + uber pet.
That all sounds pretty appealing
Old 05-03-2016, 10:22 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Yeah.
If you plan to endgame (raid) a mage is very cool, because of the aformentioned perks.
Old 05-03-2016, 10:49 AM
Planar Protector

Mages are just CotH bots in raids... depending on the guild you end up in you'll find you won't always be able to cast your pet.

I made a necro and don't have any regrets (CotH bot vs mana battery lol)

Necros can accomplish more solo... if you like Howling Stones, go necro <3
Old 05-03-2016, 11:35 AM
Banned

If you're going to solo, necro.

If you're going to want to group / raid, mage.

ez pz
Old 05-03-2016, 11:50 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjs86z [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If you're going to solo, necro.

If you're going to want to group / raid, mage.

ez pz
Mage no good for solo? I don't always want to solo but it's nice to have the option. I always figured they were great at it.
Old 05-03-2016, 01:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by serjordanmormont [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Mage no good for solo? I don't always want to solo but it's nice to have the option. I always figured they were great at it.
Sure they can. You won't level as quickly as a necro, but they do fine soloing.
Old 05-03-2016, 02:26 PM
Fire Giant

having played both to high level, they both have pros and cons. With a necro, you usually do the routine of send pet in, heat dot, snare dot, Fear, then more damage of some sort, and fear a second time as needed. As you hit higher levels you can mix it up with root rotting (very mana effective, but not especially time effective) or charming undead, break charm, kill two for cheap (extremely effective, limited locations to do this).

With a magician initially you flame up your pet, send it in, and just do 40%-50% damage to the target while assuming the shield's damage (neutral) beats out the pet from scoring more total damage than you. You destroy 3-4 mobs raidly then sit and read a book or watch a movie for 5 minutes while you recover mana. At higher levels you transition into chain pet casting (you can do this earlier in levels too technically) which is more mana efficient and not very expensive.

In my heart, I believe the necromancer to be the stronger of the two classes with a very robust selection of spells and ability in comparison to the Magician, and the necro seems to give up very little to gain this wider range of power. The magician on the other hand doesn't screw around with fear, or wasted DoT damage, or losing respawn time in chain killing because they kill their targets quickly if they want. The magician in a group also isn't constantly hopping around doing things with spells (healing, twitching, rooting, mezzing, etc). They sit on their ass sending in a fat pet that does loads of damage, flame shields the tank every now and then, and conserves mana at about 60-70% for when the crap hits the fan. Then they stand up and bomb things and look like a hero.

Look at both of their spell lists and make your choice.
Old 05-03-2016, 03:12 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by NegaStoat [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
having played both to high level, they both have pros and cons. With a necro, you usually do the routine of send pet in, heat dot, snare dot, Fear, then more damage of some sort, and fear a second time as needed. As you hit higher levels you can mix it up with root rotting (very mana effective, but not especially time effective) or charming undead, break charm, kill two for cheap (extremely effective, limited locations to do this).

With a magician initially you flame up your pet, send it in, and just do 40%-50% damage to the target while assuming the shield's damage (neutral) beats out the pet from scoring more total damage than you. You destroy 3-4 mobs raidly then sit and read a book or watch a movie for 5 minutes while you recover mana. At higher levels you transition into chain pet casting (you can do this earlier in levels too technically) which is more mana efficient and not very expensive.

In my heart, I believe the necromancer to be the stronger of the two classes with a very robust selection of spells and ability in comparison to the Magician, and the necro seems to give up very little to gain this wider range of power. The magician on the other hand doesn't screw around with fear, or wasted DoT damage, or losing respawn time in chain killing because they kill their targets quickly if they want. The magician in a group also isn't constantly hopping around doing things with spells (healing, twitching, rooting, mezzing, etc). They sit on their ass sending in a fat pet that does loads of damage, flame shields the tank every now and then, and conserves mana at about 60-70% for when the crap hits the fan. Then they stand up and bomb things and look like a hero.

Look at both of their spell lists and make your choice.
Based on what you are saying here seems like less downtime for a necro, that sound right? I'd like to play whichever is slightly more active.

Too much down time makes Jack a dull boy.
Closed Thread