Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 09-18-2019, 12:08 PM
Server GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogean [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
the new server that is en route (Oh boy is it beefy [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] )
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contraceptive View Post
If you can prove God is real to me I might believe you aren't just a virgin that has been given fake internet powers that you over-wield on an imaginary game. Also, don't forget to take contraceptive, the world doesn't need any more yous. Ah who the hell am I kidding you're not reproducing you're too busy blanket banning people on a 20 year old elf simulator.
Old 09-18-2019, 12:23 PM
Planar Protector

Specs leaked:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/products...-pi-4-model-b/

-Mcoy
Old 09-18-2019, 12:47 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llandris [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogean [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
No. What does help is people being more spread out though.

Like the 400 in TOV Example, I believe that was 3 or 4 actual raid forces. If it had been one giant raid force there probably would have been a lot more issues.
Ok, I think I worded the question poorly, because being spread out is kind of what I meant. So WK could support like 1000 players if they spread out?? One full group per spawn in zone? Hehe
Old 09-18-2019, 01:22 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lojik [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Ok, I think I worded the question poorly, because being spread out is kind of what I meant. So WK could support like 1000 players if they spread out?? One full group per spawn in zone? Hehe
You have to realize that to the server, the physical size of the zone is really of no consequence, it's operating on the coordinates. The game looks much different to the eyes of a human through the client, than it does to the server hardware running the server software.
if you have 2 fights happening, one at 0,0 and one at 100 100, that's the same to the server as the second one being at 10000, 10000.

The extra stress comes in when you have 100 entities interacting with each other, instead of spread out into say 10 different engagements. more calculation needed I suspect

So it's a function of how many entities it has to make calculations for, with complexity increasing for each entitiy-entity interaction
Old 09-18-2019, 01:24 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by soronil [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You have to realize that to the server, the physical size of the zone is really of no consequence, it's operating on the coordinates. The game looks much different to the eyes of a human through the client, than it does to the server hardware running the server software.
if you have 2 fights happening, one at 0,0 and one at 100 100, that's the same to the server as the second one being at 10000, 10000.

The extra stress comes in when you have 100 entities interacting with each other, instead of spread out into say 10 different engagements. more calculation needed I suspect

So it's a function of how many entities it has to make calculations for, with complexity increasing for each entitiy-entity interaction
That was a great "ELI5" of the issue!

(It's a Reddit term: literally short for "explain it like I'm five", but more generally it just means providing a great "layman" explanation of something)

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 09-18-2019, 01:24 PM
Planar Protector

haha I love you Llandris <3
Old 09-18-2019, 01:44 PM
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I think the better way to explain it is like this:

If you have a group of 6 players fighting an NPC, each time a player swings an attack at the NPC, there's a packet that goes out to all 6 players for the damage done, and the animation.

If you have 10 groups spread out across the zone, each damage swing is only being sent out to the 6 players in that group.

If you have 10 groups all fighting the same mob (Raid Encounter), then that one player's damage swing is sent out to all 60 players now.

This also includes position updates, which can be sent several times a second depending on how the player is moving, and those packets are only sent to other players in the direct vicinity.

Project 1999 Setup Guide
Old 09-18-2019, 01:53 PM
Planar Protector

are the damage swings being sent out what people refer to as packets of death?
Old 09-18-2019, 02:03 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibartik [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
are the damage swings being sent out what people refer to as packets of death?
No, what you're talking about is the packets from the server that get sent to your client telling it to drop your HP to zero because you just got DEATH TOUCHED! (or fell down a small step carrying 3,000,000 plat.)

"You know you done fucked up when Yendor gives you raid commentary." - Tiggles
Old 09-21-2019, 06:49 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

I requested off the week following launch. Ive got a ton of time saved up and was looking for an excuse to use it.

Gonna also be nice to be off halloween, might get a costume and hit the bars. I work nghts so havent had a halloween off in a while.
Closed Thread