Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 09-29-2016, 12:11 PM
Planar Protector

Default Better Bags for Vert! ver. 1.0

How to install:
(Disclaimer: You must be using Savok's Vert UI! New version: http://www.eqinterface.com/list.php?skinnerid=21502 Old version: http://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7850

Step 1. Choose which size you want to download - if you're using new Vert, I'd recommend the 30x30 or 35x35. If you're using old Vert or if you want better looking icons for bags, I recommend 40x40.

Big (40x40 full-size icons)
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Medium (35x35 icons)

Small (30x30 icons)

Step 2. Extract it to your EverQuest\uifiles\vert directory and select overwrite.

Step 3. Reload your client or type "/loadskin vert" in game.

Ok, maybe "better" is a bit presumptuous - but seriously, they're better. You want them.

First off thanks to Savok for making this great UI. I definitely have a newfound respect for EQ UI authors after doing this - shit ain't easy.

Full disclosure: I don't like the new smaller Vert at all, especially because of the aliasing that occurs when item icons get squashed into dimensions smaller than 40x40 pixels. Call me crazy - maybe not GG-level crazy - but a big part of the reason I like EQ graphics is because of the classic icon images, and I'm sure plenty would agree. So I wanted to give people the option to have the full 40x40 icons in their Vert bags while also making the container windows less intrusive, shaving them down in an effort to free up some screen real estate.

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

That said, if you don't really care about squashed icons and would rather have smaller bags, I've made 35x35 (old Vert icon dimensions) and 30x30 (new Vert icon dimensions) versions as well. If you're an icon enthusiast like me, I definitely recommend sticking to the old Vert, since new Vert squashes your bags, inventory, and hotbars. Old Vert only slightly squashes your bags to 35x35 while keeping all the other stuff unsquashed.

Also, this was partly inspired by the Stayput bags which are obviously way better, but I wanted to make something that also fits in nicely with Vert since most of those UIs at EQInterface are designed for a fully expanded live EQ with lots of extra garbage that us P99ers don't need. The Stayput bags by themselves would probably work great with P99 though. Basically the idea behind Stayput and the idea behind my bags is to keep the windows stationary by disabling the move function except for a small part of the bag, since you can't actually lock the bag windows like you can with the other UI windows (chat windows, inventory window, etc.):

The one drawback is you can't set color tinting to the bag windows. I have another version in progress that lets you do that, but it will probably be awhile before that's done. It will also use less screen space (gets rid of the space above the Close button) and will be more transparent. Let me know if there are any bugs. Savok - feel free to host this on EQInterface.
Old 10-01-2016, 07:24 AM
Planar Protector

It occurred to me that since these don't have the title bar styling at the top, they're pretty much identical to Duxa's bags - that is, if I were to make new bags for Duxa UI, they'd look almost exactly the same as these - with the exception that Duxa bags have a slightly fancier recessed box (the backgrounds of the slots) whereas Vert's is completely black. So that's probably an unnoticeable difference if you're making your bags noticeably transparent. In my screenshots the Fleeting Quiver is 100% (no transparency), Large Sewing Kit is 80% (20% transparency), and Bag of the Tinkerers is 75% (25% transparency).

So if you're using Duxa UI feel free to give these a go!
Last edited by paulgiamatti; 10-01-2016 at 07:31 AM..
Old 10-06-2016, 05:28 PM
Fire Giant

One of the things (in a list of many) I never really got around to styling how I would like are the bags and these do a good job. Personally I would keep the title bar for convienice because with modern screen resolutions that 8 bit bar isn't going to make much difference.

I'm glad you have dived in to the world of modding the UI and I think everyone should try it at some point.
Old 10-15-2016, 02:51 AM
Planar Protector

New Links:

Medium (35x35 icons)

Small (30x30 icons)
Old 02-15-2017, 01:36 PM
Planar Protector

Update: for some reason the 40x40 containers in the last files I uploaded were messed up and missing pieces of the window background, so I fixed that. Also corrected the border coloring a bit to make them more consistent with the Vert/Duxa borders.

New links:

Medium (35x35 icons)

Small (30x30 icons)
Last edited by paulgiamatti; 02-15-2017 at 01:39 PM..
Old 03-21-2017, 01:08 PM
Planar Protector

New links:

Medium (35x35 icons)

Small (30x30 icons)
Old 04-27-2018, 10:47 PM
Sarnak

Link to the 30x30 is actually the 40x40.. any chance at a new link?
Old 04-28-2018, 08:55 AM
Planar Protector

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ubnbzl4d6o...containers.zip
Old 04-28-2018, 12:19 PM
Fire Giant

Since this thread got bumped, did the "stayput bags" ever become a thing for p99?

Also, somewhat relevant, does anyone know how QQUI has transparent bags, but the items in the bags aren't transparent? I like the Duxa style bags, with name and title bar, but I'd like to give the QQUI style transparency a shot.

I'm far from an expert, but I've done a fair amount of messing with UI bags and those are two things I could never figure out.
Old 04-28-2018, 02:24 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triiz [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Since this thread got bumped, did the "stayput bags" ever become a thing for p99?
Nevermind, I misread the OP. Downloaded these and I see these are the "stayput bags". Nice work

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulgiamatti [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It occurred to me that since these don't have the title bar styling at the top, they're pretty much identical to Duxa's bags - that is, if I were to make new bags for Duxa UI, they'd look almost exactly the same as these - with the exception that Duxa bags have a slightly fancier recessed box (the backgrounds of the slots) whereas Vert's is completely black.
I know this is a 2 year old post, but the 40x40 loaded into my slightly modified version of Duxa fine without me changing anything, and they have the Duxa style recessed boxes not the Vert black.