Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 05-15-2015, 04:23 PM
Kobold

Default Newb Here! Which to do First?

hello all!!

recently started on p99 server. I got it all downloaded roughly a year ago, got to level 4ish and lost my steam. I played EQ back in 99-04 and loved it. To date, it was my longest stay in any MMO. Ive since tried just about every other mainsteam MMO; and, to say the least, the 'on rails' themepark-ness and coddling wore me down, and I eventually quit every one of them...

Then, after some pathetic researching of new MMO's to satiate my MMO appetite, I went to the p99 website to check on things and noticed the Velious confirmation. Velious was my favorite expansion and I have too many fond memories of the kunark -> luclin days...

so, I canceled my other subs, and have been back at it this last week! and going strong. I think I lost my 'steam' initially trying to grind those newb levels with absolutely nothing to my name... luckily, much in the spirit of EQ; I was gifted a full set of banded and some guard weapons/shield and 50pp by a generous soul who saw my struggle. This helped me grind to 9 on a troll shammy, get SoW, and make then run to EC tunnels for nostalgia overload. Now im officially 100% re-hooked, and plan on settling in for a LONG while. (although its been hell trying to get someone to buy the DB belts and shoulder pads I got my hands on! and I cant afford a wolf form donate to turn them in myself. 8/ )

Now that you have my brief history (which I could spend hours expanding, but who wants to read that? heh.) onto my dilemma.

I got IP exemption for my roommate, who has played many modern MMO's with me, but never played EQ. He's heard too many of my stories, and now wants to play alongside me. After explaining each class to him, he landed on enchanter and bard, which both have a very high skill level... which I believe he can achieve with some experimenting. I swayed him toward enchanter, because we both love the extra risk/reward, and personally I think Bard is easier when you have at least a decent amount of pp to semi-twink. Since we both have next to nothing, Enchanter for him, and lvl 10 troll Shammy for me. Luckily, with SoW, the EC tunnels are quite close to neriak. So, he started a DE enchanter, and I bought him his intro bags/spells with the leftover pp I had. I was newb healing his pet to grind him to level 5, and im still at 10.

The problem, is we often spend weekends apart, and only have time to duo during our weekday playtimes. Even then, im sure I will be more committed than him. So im torn. I want to start an enchanter myself, as I enjoyed grouping/charm soloing in classic as enchanter, and want to relive some of that. But, I also have my heart set on Shaman. Don't get me wrong, I will eventually be leveling BOTH.. my dilemma, is which to focus on first.

And, I do want to earn myself some decent plat-per-hour ability. Which (shaman or enchanter) would be more viable for this, sooner than the other? Ive considered grinding to 30s with shaman and then whoring myself to SoW pots for some income. Or, would it be more feasible to grind an enchanter to 30s 40s and do some solo/duo dungeon crawling farming? Or, at what level could I decently handle Low Level power leveling as an enchanter? 40s? low 50s?

Any input is appreciated!! I o understand that this post is somewhat vague and not asking a specific question..... for this, I apologize; as I am currently at work trolling the forums with an EQ boner. cant wait to go home and log on.

Currently- Oipi - 10 Troll Shaman
Formerly- Auudar Ayudar, DE Cleric from Quellious
Old 05-15-2015, 05:11 PM
Planar Protector

If you want a character to literally farm plat on without going to 60, make a druid. Get 29/34 and you'll be able to port to WC. Bind somewhere like outside KC (exit side) or Overthere and just keep porting people to WC.

If you're rigidly only going to go enchanter/shaman... charm killing with your enchanter is probably the way to go, but for the love of god get some basic charisma gear by level 12 (charm), golden cat eye bracelets and some other charisma stuff in EC if you can... it'll help charm duration to last.

Root/rotting on a shaman is viable too but I'd say its slower overall. The time it takes you to rot one mob down, you've probably managed to get 2 mobs to beat each other senseless and be able to reap the XP and loot from 2 mobs. Doesn't beat a druid though!

Away from that, if you log in the other character when he's not there... expect a suspension on both accounts because you won't be able to do the GM boxing test(s) alone. Not saying you will, but a lot of people abuse the "no boxing" rule thinking they won't get caught and some of the excuses they come out with can be very "out there", we've seen it all [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Enjoy the game though, keep one character for just the time you get to play together and work on an 'alt' when he's not there.
Old 05-16-2015, 01:12 AM
Kobold

Hmm. my only hesitation is the seemingly thousands of enchanters i saw last night. i assume they thin out a bit mid levels?

That being said, i also saw a TON of druids. are wizard port locations not as sought after?

Also, i never did porting in classic, but it has always been huge. Roughly how much pp an hour do people make porting?? I understand there are tons of variables, obviously with donations, but roughly how much does a 34 druid/wiz able to crank out?

I might level my shaman Solo, grind a Wiz up with the enchanter buddy (cuz i had a druid in classic, too, dont want another druid.) probably leave the wiz at 34ish and eventually start my own chanter.. By the time i get all this done, though, i may as well finish off the wizard. I recall wizards farming made a Ton of pp from the gems in Velious. forgot where that was exactly, but i remember it being fun to watch =p
Last edited by leftharted; 05-16-2015 at 01:15 AM..
Old 05-16-2015, 09:36 AM
Planar Protector

You can make a easy 1k a day on a Druid, more the longer you play. You only get like 20 plat at lower levels, 50 to 75 or more at higher levels. Evacs really bring in the plat. 100 if you are lucky.

But you can do 50 of them on a weekend if you hustle and get a good following. I have probably made close to 200k easy porting on my Druid. Probably 100k PLing. I can't think of any class other than maybe a High level Enchanter soloing that can make that much plat.

And you really do help people out porting, buffing noobs to XP, giving plat, loot to them. It can be a rewarding class for sure. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 05-16-2015, 02:51 PM
Aviak

If you decide to go the porting route another good spot to bind is the skyfire ramp in OT as people are almost constantly looking for ports there.

I never really focused hard on porting as I have friends who were able to help me out with some pp/gear but if you really dedicate some time to it you can make a pretty penny for sure. Some say the druid port locations are better but it's more nitpicking than anything, not many people are going to turn down a wizard port just because it's a wizard.

There are some beneficial spots that wizards get like south ro and you can port to west Karana and then use evac west to port over to the qeynos hills z/l which is great for people heading out to permafrost etc.
Old 05-16-2015, 03:29 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

It's not so much that Druid port locations are better than a wizard's, it's that Druid ports come with a SoW 99% of the time.
Old 05-17-2015, 12:37 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSZ [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It's not so much that Druid port locations are better than a wizard's, it's that Druid ports come with a SoW 99% of the time.
Person speaks the truth. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Closed Thread