Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 08-01-2017, 01:54 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Default Random Quick Freezing with Mobs around.

Anyone have any ideas what might have caused this issue? Started late last week.

I'll get random screen freezes that just last for a millisecond whenever mobs are around me. Can just be one mob the results are the same. I'll be turning and notice the quick freeze and then i'll be facing with my back to the mob. It will happen continually until everything is dead then the freezes will go away.

Doesn't seem to happen at all with player characters only npc's.
Old 08-01-2017, 03:20 PM
Planar Protector

What's your fps sitting at if higher than 30 adjust to 30

Tupakk-57 Bard(Raid Whore)Afeni-45 Druid (Dial a Port Leadership) |Forums|Facebook| Lumumba-60 Rogue(DaP Security)/(Nocterma Member) & Department of Fun Promoter
Old 08-01-2017, 03:43 PM
Planar Protector

Do you have an SSD? I've noticed mine starts going crazy when some other background process might be running (Antivirus or similar) and all of the sudden EQ shutters like you wouldn't believe.

Another alternative is that you might be experiencing issues with multiple CPU cores, but that would "just start last week," so that's pretty unlikely.
Old 08-01-2017, 05:01 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

I generally keep my Max FPS in game set to 52 as I found that to be a comfortable setting. I can try lowering that to 30.

Yes I have a SSD, haven't noticed anything running in the background new recently. But yeah it's a recent development, never had this problem before coupled with the odd behavior of only NPC's creating the issue.
Old 08-01-2017, 05:02 PM
Fire Giant

if you have logs on, are you excluding your EQ directory from AV real time scanning?

Drumas - 60 Cleric
Ashintar - 60 Wizard
Old 08-01-2017, 05:41 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Ooo that's a good call, I think this might have started when I started parsing logs. Let me check that tonight!
Old 08-02-2017, 01:38 PM
Planar Protector

http://www.amd.com/en-us/products/memory/ramdisk

There is a free version. The EQ folder is less than 4GB so the free version will work. And, you can slim down the EQ folder even more by deleting zone files that don't exist in P99.

I had this problem even with an SSD (fast NAND, not crappy). WinEQ2 fixed a lot of stuff, then that AMD Ramdisk cleared everything up.
Old 08-02-2017, 05:42 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by dafier [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
http://www.amd.com/en-us/products/memory/ramdisk

There is a free version. The EQ folder is less than 4GB so the free version will work. And, you can slim down the EQ folder even more by deleting zone files that don't exist in P99.

I had this problem even with an SSD (fast NAND, not crappy). WinEQ2 fixed a lot of stuff, then that AMD Ramdisk cleared everything up.
I've been having a ton of problems with crashing, mostly while looting corpses, so I tried this^^ figuring I had nothing to lose. Holy shit does EQ load fast now. From server select to character select is so fast the theme music doesn't even have a chance to start.

Not sure if it will fix my crashing, but solid suggestion either way thanks Dafier.
Old 08-03-2017, 01:40 AM
Fire Giant

If you run logs on and havent emptied those folders where that info piles up it will cause issues. go empty the log file for your toon and see if that helps.
Old 08-03-2017, 10:32 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

The log files were indeed my culprit! Thanks Ashintar for the correct guess and everyone else for the suggestions as well.