Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 07-28-2020, 04:06 PM
Large Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lune [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Ranger is by far my favorite class to play, but they can spend a lot of time LFG because people can be a little uninformed about their capabilities as pullers, tanks, and dps (and because they are outclassed by other classes). So while I was LFG, I engaged in a bit of cartography.

As nostalgic as I am for the old cloth maps, I personally never felt as though they adequately represented the game world spatially or thematically, with a classic example being Faydwer in general. Using Inkarnate, I've tried to make more detailed maps that roughly preserve the layout and orientation of zones while portraying the continent as a whole and avoiding some of the blockiness inherent in EQ zones.

Anyway, Ranger Skyris of Faydark's Champions presents:

Antonica

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Faydwer

Odus

Kunark

(Kunark, by far my favorite continent, was made a while back in an older version of the mapping software.) I'm not sure whether Velious is really worth mapping and I think that's one where I like the cloth map's representation.

Please let me know if there's something that's incorrect or you think I should change!

Awesome work. I assume your intent is to allow us to print these out? I'm going to find an online cloth or canvas printer and hang one up!

Do you know how big they are designed to print at? 20x24?
Old 07-28-2020, 04:27 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So amazing, i have to keep going back to look some more!

It’s so good, I feel bad offering any type of criticism, but if I had to suggest one change it would be to add the giant waterfall in east karana.
For sure, if I ever do Antonica again in a higher resolution I'll add that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by casperinmd [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Awesome work. I assume your intent is to allow us to print these out? I'm going to find an online cloth or canvas printer and hang one up!

Do you know how big they are designed to print at? 20x24?
You can do whatever you like with it. Antonica is 896 x 1024, Faydwer and Odus 2048 x 1536, Kunark 1024 x 768.

Don't know much about printing, especially to cloth or canvas, but whatever is closest to those resolutions I imagine. They aren't HD (yet) so don't blow them up too big.
Old 07-28-2020, 04:35 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lune [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Indeed I did, or at least when I made that map I elected not to include it because fuck Kedge.

Fixed version
AMAZING!
Old 07-28-2020, 04:40 PM
Fire Giant

Hey Lune, is Neriak marker a secret on Antonica or was that not marked intentionally? I really love the work you've done here.

Also, noticed Nurga marker is not on the Kunark - Frontier Mountains.

I don't mean these observations negatively this work is amazing, the feeling of nostalgia these maps produce is amazingly tangible. Thank you!
Last edited by gkmarino; 07-28-2020 at 04:43 PM..
Old 07-28-2020, 05:55 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkmarino [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Hey Lune, is Neriak marker a secret on Antonica or was that not marked intentionally? I really love the work you've done here.

Also, noticed Nurga marker is not on the Kunark - Frontier Mountains.

I don't mean these observations negatively this work is amazing, the feeling of nostalgia these maps produce is amazingly tangible. Thank you!
Neriak's text was left out by mistake although there is a Neriak graphic on the map. I posted a fixed version with Neriak in this thread somewhere.

I did Kunark mostly from memory and simply forgot Nurga I think, seeing as how I don't think I've stepped foot in Nurga during all my time on P99.

Fixed. Thank you
Old 08-02-2020, 04:51 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

These are absolutely incredible. Great job.
Old 08-02-2020, 09:47 PM
Planar Protector

There’s definitely some websites you could turn these into board game mats if you Google search Board Game Mat Printing.
Old 08-02-2020, 09:49 PM
Planar Protector

By the way, thanks for doing these. The Kunark one you put out awhile back has been on my desktop computer wallpaper circulation for awhile.
Old 08-03-2020, 07:16 PM
Planar Protector

Antonica is tricky to map while staying close to the cloth map representation, because the Everfrost area in game isn't wide enough across, and the Karana plains in game are far wider across than the Southern part of the continent; it doesn't scale properly. Overall good job with the map but I wish you made Karana wider, even on the cloth map it's still wider than this, and the Everfrost area could be pushed more towards the west. You could move the southern part of the continent a little more eastward and make Rathe Mountains wider to compensate for the Karanas expanding.
Old 08-04-2020, 12:32 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuranthium [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Antonica is tricky to map while staying close to the cloth map representation, because the Everfrost area in game isn't wide enough across, and the Karana plains in game are far wider across than the Southern part of the continent; it doesn't scale properly. Overall good job with the map but I wish you made Karana wider, even on the cloth map it's still wider than this, and the Everfrost area could be pushed more towards the west. You could move the southern part of the continent a little more eastward and make Rathe Mountains wider to compensate for the Karanas expanding.
Antonica is indeed tricky. I actually have an early iteration or two where the karanas are wider, but it always resulted in the entire eastern half of the continent being very squished together-- that is, unless antonica becomes wider than it is tall, at which point it starts looking nothing like the cloth map's representation. I took the liberty of a condensed karanas to keep that rough sense of a similar shape to the cloth map. Everfrost is hard too because the entire north of Antonica is shown to be snowy, but Everfrost is somewhat small... Everfrost can't go all the way west because Jaggedpine forest is there.

I definitely found it interesting that in-game, Antonica is clearly wider than it is tall, based on the distance you have to travel from Freeport to Qeynos... as opposed to the map. I'm sure I'll make another attempt at some point configuring Antonica incorporating some of these suggestions.
Closed Thread