Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 09-02-2013, 07:51 PM
Banned

Gotta say it again man, these textures are the shit.

I've been telling my guildies on red99 to check them out.

If it helps motivate you to do more just letting you know they are being used/appreciated [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 09-02-2013, 10:41 PM
Kobold

Bazia, thanks spreading the word! I particularly find the smaller races to look really good. Also like you said the screenshots don't really do much justice, you have to see in game to really get the feel. EQ's stretched out tiny textures really make the game look dated and although this conversion method might look a bit cartoon like or cell shaded (borderlands comes to mind) It really makes the game feel newer. I'm going to try to find the time to see if i can get some zones and objects rendered properly.
Old 09-02-2013, 10:57 PM
Sarnak

Just outta curiosity, have you experimented with any other scalars? I know some people say they really like the sai ones because they are slightly less cartoony than the hqs.
Old 09-02-2013, 11:57 PM
Planar Protector

really excited to see where this goes
Old 09-03-2013, 08:06 AM
Banned

should make a guide and crowd source

i have ways of getting those paid programs *wink wink*
Old 09-03-2013, 09:51 AM
Kobold

Sure thing ill write up my process later today. I really gota find out why the zone textures aren't flipping correctly. Once I figure that out I'm gona start pumping out some zones.
Old 09-04-2013, 07:30 AM
Kobold

I've found out why the zone files weren't flipping also why the white border around some textures were there. Turns out the .bmp files in the zone files aren't actually .bmps, they're .dds files renamed to .bmps for some reason. Only issue this causes is that I currently don't have a way to batch covert the new texture to .dds files. I can however do one at a time in PhotoShop. I need to create a script or something although I have no idea where to start. Maybe I'll post a video to make this more clear later today.
Old 09-04-2013, 07:52 AM
Sarnak

It looks like if you play EQ after 2 bottles of Absinth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Gonna give it a try just to see how it works ingame.

It's common knowledge that still images that have been processed with blur effcts often look bad, but it might work when its animated because you don't notice the ugly banding lines then.

All in all, no doubt its a big project if you want to convert all textures ... good luck with that [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 09-07-2013, 08:27 PM
Kobold

Re textured EC, Missing some files but almost done. here's the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6iKSb...ature=youtu.be

pretty much going to end this project here. Its really just too much work to redo all the zones and many people don't seem to like the cartoon look to it. I'm currently working on a new project by just increasing the original images x4 and using Perfect Resize 7.5 to make the pictures scale much better. This new project will probably be more popular but I am running into some issues. the software is automatically cropping for no good reason when I do a batch process. I hope I can figure out whats going on because this process dramatically improves the texture detail while remaining true to the "realistic" style that eq has.
Old 09-07-2013, 09:30 PM
Aviak

Ah that sucks. I am loving these new textures. Thanks for everything!