Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 10-06-2020, 06:18 PM
Sarnak

Default Client soft crashing + control, sound but freezes video

I have an issue where my client will stop rendering and soft-locks. I can still control/camp and hear sound but it stops rendering new frames.

I have updated nvidia drivers, on Win 10 64 home. Any ideas?
Old 10-06-2020, 08:49 PM
Sarnak

have you read the FAQ?
sounds like your direct x is borking

Quote:
First off, before posting, please make sure you've done a couple things prior to asking your question.
Last edited by xaix1999; 10-06-2020 at 08:58 PM..
Old 10-06-2020, 09:06 PM
Sarnak

is this a new issue? is this a new install? has your install changed from an old computer to a new one?
do you have new or updated install of windows that has changed recently?

have you verified your directx install? have you ran dxdiag to look for issues?
is your install in a "non-program files" folder? have you checked the folder permissions?

have you verified your v53 patch is installed correctly?
have your reinstalled your EQ client?
Old 10-06-2020, 11:30 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by xaix1999 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
have you read the FAQ?
sounds like your direct x is borking
The FAQ had nothing related to this type of rendering error. How are you getting that it's a dx issue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xaix1999 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
is this a new issue? is this a new install? has your install changed from an old computer to a new one?
do you have new or updated install of windows that has changed recently?

have you verified your directx install? have you ran dxdiag to look for issues?
is your install in a "non-program files" folder? have you checked the folder permissions?

have you verified your v53 patch is installed correctly?
have your reinstalled your EQ client?
It's a new installation on a new computer, clean titanium client. All dx drivers are signed. I did install on this new computer in a folder outside of program files because of all the headaches it causes (screenshots, placing ui files, etc.)

The last think I guess is to do a fresh install. I suspect it may be a UI or ui file issue.
Old 10-07-2020, 05:41 PM
Sarnak

reason i say its a directx issue is your are able to hear your sound
since the dx8 dll for graphics and sound are two separate modules
Old 10-07-2020, 07:31 PM
Aviak

Do an alt-enter next time it happens
Old 10-07-2020, 08:27 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plumpys [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Do an alt-enter next time it happens
Yeah, if anything calls for UAC elevation while the client is running you'll experience this "freeze". Toggling full-screen via alt+enter twice should fix it. To prevent it happening, make sure you don't have any other programs active that may call UAC. Alternatively (and I don't recommend it) you can change the UAC elevation behavior so it doesn't call the secure desktop by editing your local computer policy, or UAC settings in control panel:

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-e...mpt-windows-10

The reason I don't recommend it is because without this prompt programs have the ability to make administrative changes without your knowledge. UAC is Microsoft's attempt to resolve the many issues people had with XP being infected or otherwise compromised by malware masquerading as "useful" programs.

-Mcoy
Old 10-07-2020, 08:47 PM
Sarnak

you shouldnt allow anything on windows to run in admin mode
but windows uac access sandbox is super garbage and gets broken by fun stiff like adobe fonts
Old 10-08-2020, 11:30 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcoy [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yeah, if anything calls for UAC elevation while the client is running you'll experience this "freeze". Toggling full-screen via alt+enter twice should fix it. To prevent it happening, make sure you don't have any other programs active that may call UAC. Alternatively (and I don't recommend it) you can change the UAC elevation behavior so it doesn't call the secure desktop by editing your local computer policy, or UAC settings in control panel:

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-e...mpt-windows-10

The reason I don't recommend it is because without this prompt programs have the ability to make administrative changes without your knowledge. UAC is Microsoft's attempt to resolve the many issues people had with XP being infected or otherwise compromised by malware masquerading as "useful" programs.

-Mcoy
Thanks for the information. I have tried to control for everything else by doing a clean titanium install, ui files, patch files etc.
Old 10-09-2020, 04:08 AM
Orc

alt+enter fixes this issue for me. Was previously posted but you seem to have glossed over it. Will make the game full screen, then alt+enter again to exit full screen