Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 06-28-2018, 01:54 PM
Sarnak

Question Are there any tradeskills still worth leveling?

Namely, Alchemy, Jewelcrafting, and Tinkering. They don’t need to be super profitable, just profitable enough to keep a modest flow of cash coming into my bank alt. I would be a bit biased toward Tinkering, as Gnomes are Awesome and Cool, plus Tinkering has always had an aspect of fun, for me.
Old 06-28-2018, 02:58 PM
Fire Giant

Your questions is flawed at it's premise inasmuch as it presupposes that trade skills were, in fact, ever worth leveling.
Old 06-28-2018, 03:09 PM
Sarnak

But if no Gnomes ever got to tinkering, how would WARs ever get their epic?
Old 06-28-2018, 03:10 PM
Planar Protector

Tradeskills are fun ... and you can use them for the Shawl quest, plus a couple other quests I'm forgetting about. But that's about it.
  • Baking/Brewing/Pottery/Tinkering: Pointless (more or less); I guess a little baking is good for turning all that frost giant meat you get in Velious into +Stamina frost giant steaks, but you can also just buy +1 stamina food off that ogre in Freeport
  • Tailoring/Smithing: Almost everything they make is inferior to stuff you can buy in EC Tunnel, unless you care about fashion quest
    • (what little decent armor can be made, like some of the Velious tailoring armor, requires 100x more plat to reach the necessary level than just buying a full set for all of your toons)
  • Alchemy: Cheaper/faster to buy off new Shaman than make yourself (I buy SoW potions for my alts rather than make them, just so I don't have to run up to Halas).
  • Jewlerycrafting: Makes some useful stuff, but again to get to the level where you can make that stuff you'll spend 100x the plat vs. just buying what you need from another player
  • Posionmaking: Not worth the trouble (or at least that's what I've heard Rogues say)

Now I'm not saying you shouldn't do tradeskills: silly fun stuff (like tradeskills or languages) are a part of EQ and an interesting side of the game. But are any worth it? Not really.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Last edited by loramin; 06-28-2018 at 03:13 PM..
Old 06-28-2018, 03:18 PM
Planar Protector

Just max your Fishing, Alcohol Tolerance & Begging.
Then you can get inebriated while fishing & begging into EQ stardom.
Old 06-28-2018, 03:20 PM
Sarnak

Fishing is really the only trade skill I have fun with and it usually takes people by surprise. Fish during your downtime with groups!
Old 06-28-2018, 03:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whirled [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Just max your Fishing, Alcohol Tolerance & Begging.
Then you can get inebriated while fishing & begging into EQ stardom.
Or just Alcohol Tolerance & Begging and roleplay as the filthy homeless man of Freeport.

The server needs one of those.
Old 06-28-2018, 03:23 PM
Planar Protector

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinoTriz [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Or just Alcohol Tolerance & Begging and roleplay as the filthy homeless man of Freeport.

The server needs one of those.
This is a great idea!

We could call it Mister Cadger's Neighborhood. He just roams around the streets all day & bums off people and other crazy antics.
Old 06-28-2018, 03:56 PM
Fire Giant

Brewing - Only "Useful" on p99 for MQ'ing the Tainted Avalanche Ale for Coldain Ring 9 *Brewing can be raised from 0 to 248, for like 500p or less its super cheap just stupidly time consuming and will hurt your fingers clicking so much - I suggest using a throwaway cheap mouse when doing this so you don't wear down the plastic micro-switch of a good mouse

Baking - Never done it myself, will never really get you much of a profit vs time spent farming the mats, but for a real min/maxer I guess go you on having dragon steaks?

Blacksmithing - Mostly for fashion quest which can turn a profit if you want to commit to it, a minimal amount for Coldain ring 3, However for drive it over 200 the only high end use for it would be MQ the Spirit of Garzicor quest the Finished Nagata blade or whatever its called?

Tailoring - Can defiantly make a profit, but is hands down the hardest, most expensive and time consuming tradeskill in this era, made slightly easier for wood elfs and halflings due to Cultural tradeskill ups from 158 to 222. However few breach that gap and succeed in capping tailoring. Will need a high level character to support it in terms of farming Ice Burrower silk, Panthers, Haze, Othmir

Fletching - Used in the Coldain shawl quest at some point, aside from that... meh who cares

Pottery - Good for raiders, to make the Thurg gate potions (mobilizing to dain) For anyone else yea knock yourself out can make thurg gate potions.... or you could just save yourself time farming crystalline silk and velium blocks and just call DaP for a port to GD...

Alchemy - It can make a profit, but there is EC tunnel cats that already do this, with already slim profit margins (for cost of the combines) I have a shaman and honestly find it easier just buying 10shot potions from the EC tunnel *in terms of convince* rather than spending plat on leveling up alchemy and then running my shaman back to oggok all the time and then xfering potions

Jewelcraft - Again like alchemy there is already EC cats doing this with very slim profit margins, I have a enchanter as well and don't even want to bother sinking money into when so many already do it

Poison Making - Most rogues say its a waste of plat / time. I don't have a rogue so I will differ to their professional backstabbing opinion.

Tinkering - Rebreathers? Even thou Fishbone earring dude is perma-killed...

Spell Research - Time spent getting the pages wont turn you much of a profit... nice to have, but unless you are some kind of serious hoarder with a research mule...and even then it wont matter research is for like 16 to 49 spells, at most these spells are worth like 100 to 200plat TOPS many of them much less than that, your spending a lot of time gathering components for pennies
Old 06-28-2018, 04:04 PM
Planar Protector

Garzicor, shawl quest...
Closed Thread