Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 02:24 PM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashimar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'm talking about those ones that pop up out of nowhere, That you DID NOT download. they alledgedly "Scan your system" and then they claim to find "Malware and Trojan viruses"
you are then asked if you want to remove the viruses, but you have to "pay
a fee", and it can only be done with a "credit card."

Its a good way to hack into a stupid persons computer.

Its misleading to say the least. Once they have your info, they will
make unauthorized charges to your CC account, then, when you have installed the rogue virus scanner, which itself is really a virus, all information on your computer is compromised. I've never fallen for this scam. Have you?
Actually they are illegal, I forgot where I read this but it's known as scareware and I THINK it's illegal in some states.

I'm actually not sure how these work, I've never put a card on them, but im pretty sure most viruses make your computer a drone that sends e-mails to other people. The infamous "Nigerian scammers" are an example of this,if they got the info off just your computer they only get 1 or 2 credit cards, if they trick thousands of people into sending them money by controling your computer via a virus it will be more useful to them.

I think these programs actually don't give you viruses, they are considered malware but it's more snake oil than anything to get you to buy their "product."

and if you're getting those pop-ups scan your PC, use a firewall, and look through your program files, users and apps folders for stuff your don't remember installing. That's the best advise I can give. sometimes you will need special software to kill the app, scan your PC with "malwarebytes" ironically it's a free anti malware repair program. I do not condone you messing with your system files mannually if you don't know what you're doing though.
Old 05-05-2011, 02:33 PM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealSmedy [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Dude, i haven't read this thread, just the first post, but you do realize that this is the virus it self. Like "Antivirus Professional 2011" that will inject itself through a javascript in a shitty browser like IE.

Once you've gotten that, you're fucked. This opens up backdoors for more viruses, and even if you do end up paying for protection it will rip your credit card number and personal details to be used on the black market.

I recommend using Opera, Chrome or Firefox with Microsoft Security Essentials running with auto update, and you can feel completely safe.

Many sites do not realize they are spreading these kinds of viruses cause they are not the host of it. Sites like ThePirateBay do have this virus simply just by browsing to the site. It doesn't come from piratebay tho, it comes from the adds that are displayed on piratebay which in their case have been hacked (or possible installed there with purpose).
A firewall is an absolute essensial, and what you're talking about is really only possible through browsers like IE6. I use IE9 and it works great, I don't need google stealing all my info.
Old 05-05-2011, 02:43 PM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogean [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This is basically what I deal with at work every day. They've gotten worse lately because of a ton of websites with scripts that have been compromised, or ads that have been compromised.

Solution:
RKill it from memory.
Combofix.
Malware bytes full scan.

The first two you can google and download from bleepingcomputer.
The third can also be found on google.

I keep a thumbdrive with all 3 on it. =|
Yeah, sometimes you can't rkill, that's when malwarebytes comes in also, good advice Rogean