Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 06-03-2021, 12:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mblake1981 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Luclin skins.

If EQ was modern think we would have threads on which loser still has 'default skins'?
Can iPhone shitpost memes about it all day from the toilet.
Live has made luclin skins even less relevant tbh.
Old 06-03-2021, 12:09 PM
Planar Protector

mischief is the best fun ive had in eq since p99 but the new zones and all that crap are junk.

random loot is the best! I be like, "lets go camp that useless frog nobody ever camped ever, because it might drop something cool!"
Old 06-03-2021, 01:20 PM
Banned

Red face

Wonder about the hermit in Rathe lake
Old 06-03-2021, 01:53 PM
Banned

Such interesting perspectives on the same game! I showed my Live buds the video of [forget who it was], the SK from <DB> trying to solo Cazel, and they were just blown away at how slow-moving and tortuous it was to watch someone casting lowbie-ass Necromancer spells (instead of a unique spell line to their class) with a monster they had no hopes of beating (and, if they did succeed, would really drop absolutely nothing of value).
Old 06-03-2021, 03:36 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrothgar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Such interesting perspectives on the same game! I showed my Live buds the video of [forget who it was], the SK from <DB> trying to solo Cazel, and they were just blown away at how slow-moving and tortuous it was to watch someone casting lowbie-ass Necromancer spells (instead of a unique spell line to their class) with a monster they had no hopes of beating (and, if they did succeed, would really drop absolutely nothing of value).
To each their own really. I personally found it very tedious equipping my merc plus decking my pet out in dimensional warrior armor just so I could get the hunter achievement for each zone or even progress. The cookie cutter expansions were tortuous for me.

The community here is what a lot of us like. There were several reasons why I and many others left the live servers; primary for me was nobody ever wanted to actually group. It didn't matter if I was on my raiding toon from Bristlebane or casual family guild on Bertoxx , same shit. Send out tells to 10-15 people and get the same response back "I just want to box in this instance with my merc tonight."

My wife currently plays on live and is about ready to either quit EQ or move to p99 due to said frustration. Her guild even has what they call progression night where everybody is supposed to group with each other in order to help each other progress through expansions. Trouble is just as above everybody would rather box 2-3 toons plus mercs to grind through stuff. Me on the other hand can log on to nearly any of my toons and typically get a group in under 10 minutes if I want but also have the option to solo if that's what I'd like to do.
Old 06-03-2021, 03:49 PM
Sarnak

I've tried those "other" servers and found them wanting.
It just doesn't work for me. P99 is straight forward hard to play.
If you screw up in P99, like my friend did, and get your necro killed by the giants between waste land and that forest with the cats that drop the skins for the rogue gear. That sucks, ya know. My friend was so discouraged, they logged for the night thinking "crap".
Ya don't get that kind of action on those "other" servers where you can have a mercenary. hold the mobs while you run screaming like a girl scout with a pit bull chasing her. (heheheh, funny)
Anyway, It just isn't The Q on them box servers. yuck.
Old 06-03-2021, 04:02 PM
Banned

You don't need to deck out your merc or get the hunter achievement lol.

Needless to say ur merc will get good incidentally if u just grp.

Idk.

P99 is fun, but really it's been two decades for me. There is no challenge in CHring in kael, you auction 1kp for a corpse summon or a friend logs on, u do have friends right?

I made some massive trains in kael on red died a few times helping my friend goofing around in there.

It's easy.

The only thing classic is, is more time consuming and slightly more competitive. But "hard" it's not, you can fully script a group with a log parser to play any group content, and the raids are all entirely zergs, or tank, or dps checks.

Hate to break it but you can challenge yourself a lot more moloing content that wasn't intended for it on live lol.
Old 06-03-2021, 05:22 PM
Aviak

I hate the whole mechanic of gear that levels up with your character.

Both Live and modern WoW do this and it absolutely sucks the air out of leveling up and gearing your character. It is so OP that you don't need to do it. That is what I love about classic Everquest: you might have to grind a long time for experience or equipment, but the whole power-curve is so satisfying. You can feel the difference in combat with new levels, spells, & gear. And although there are some level limitations for clickies & procs, there are almost no level requirements for gear (that I know of). That is what the joy of gearing a character comes from - we all remember almost dying to bats in the newbie yard.

On Live you basically start out completely twinked and steamrolling mobs until your 80s. It makes the whole affair sort of tasteless. You can train a paid merc with a whole zone and the only issue is whether it will get overwhelmed or not. Everyone (I played on FV, so not TLP) boxes as well and it can make the game an intensive affair of pressing a million buttons and hotkeys. I like that I can set P99 aside for a few months and when I return I don't feel like I need a tutorial on how to play again. I also think that group/class mechanics in classic Everquest are the best and it is really cool to be able to experience them again in 2021.
Closed Thread