Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Old 08-09-2022, 07:41 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathsSilkyMist [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Awesome! Glad to see the discussion has been even a bit useful.
If nothing else its never a bad thing to blab about a shared hobby when we've nothing better to do. I'm AFK too much today for it to be worth actually trying to log in so the forum has to do.

To prevent confusion, insofar as I recall JimJam wasn't claiming mages were "best" either, don't mean to imply he did, only that they're not worst, so he and I weren't necessarily disagreeing on anything. I'm just slightly, but genuinely, disappointed there seemingly isn't some unknown-to-me area that only magicians can do effectively. It'd be pretty cool if there was.

Danth
Old 08-09-2022, 07:48 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'm just slightly, but genuinely, disappointed there seemingly isn't some unknown-to-me area that only magicians can do effectively. It'd be pretty cool if there was.
Me too. I honestly love pet classes in games, including Mages. I was hoping there was some cool trick they could do which allows them to do some interesting camps.

Sadly Mages just get gimped hard by lack of CC and pet AI issues. They would be better if they could simply use pets everywhere without it being a problem, including raids.
Last edited by DeathsSilkyMist; 08-09-2022 at 07:55 PM..
Old 08-09-2022, 07:56 PM
Planar Protector

Off tanking is pretty good cc. Would be cool if monster summoning was a beast of a tank, great aggro, but with poor dps. Make it the tank option for pet groups. That line of spells really needs something to make it stand out.

I know wishlisting for a dead game is pointless, but still fun!

Gorgen (Blue) - Agnostic Troll Warrior of the XXXI Dung

Old 08-09-2022, 07:58 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Would be cool if monster summoning was...
That spell line is definitely one of EQ's missed opportunities.
Old 08-09-2022, 08:00 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
To prevent confusion, insofar as I recall JimJam wasn't claiming mages were "best" either, don't mean to imply he did, only that they're not worst, so he and I weren't necessarily disagreeing on anything. I'm just slightly, but genuinely, disappointed there seemingly isn't some unknown-to-me area that only magicians can do effectively. It'd be pretty cool if there was.

Danth
yeah, there is a bit of cross talk, cos I'm deffo not saying they're the best, i appreciate you clarifying that.

Mage pets should be pretty good back liners (as in off tanking, or keeping aggro when there is an issue with the tank) - but there are some weird aggro bugs in p1999 which makes them less good at this, and it does make mages slightly more annoying to group with than they should be.

Old 08-09-2022, 08:29 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathsSilkyMist [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Agreed, Mages are great in Raids. But the discussion is not focused on raiding.
Lol if it is not focused on raiding then where do you get off putting them dead last? Because they can solo? Because their group dps is tippy top notch?

Or is it just because they can’t cc? Cause last I checked warriors, rogues and monks have zero cc also. My mage pet tanks more than well enough to get the job done and mages worth their salt will out-dps rogues on most content (high end raids notwithstanding).

Jesus man sometimes I think you like to type up PhD dissertations of bullshit just to hear yourself talk.
https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...43&postcount=2

Last edited by Troxx; 08-09-2022 at 08:45 PM..
Old 08-09-2022, 08:30 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keebz [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Don't forget they can quad-DA. With a competent mage, you can move your raid anywhere.
My inner newb is about to blossom …
Cut me some slack it has been years …

Remind me about this quad DA thing?

Old 08-09-2022, 08:38 PM
Planar Protector

i think it is 1 sky Divine Aura (plus recharge), 1 idol DA, and 1 velious DA

Old 08-09-2022, 08:39 PM
Planar Protector

Mage pet = solid sustained dps. An off tank if you need it. A beefy primary tank if you have no melee. Regents fast. Cheap to cast. Chain summonable.

Beyond that mages can:
-Give the best DS in the game
-give their mana to others who need it more to keep a raid/group rolling
-summon any group mate to them
-add some haste to other peoples pets
-nuke as efficiently/effectively as most other damage dealing casters if not better.

As a whole the mage can:
-solo effortlessly most of their levels
-solo more efficiently than most classes all their levels
-put our tippy top notch dps in groups while adding some utility other than direct root cc
-but their pets can easily offtank 1-2 mobs which is its own utility

They’re closer to the top than the bottom in terms of global power and effectiveness.

We mostly have one person (DSM) who has proven a very eloquently verbose (if ineffective) troll who states otherwise … because it’s his opinion.

Most underpowered? Hard to say but at the high end wizard/druid are prime contenders. When you look at the whole scope of what p99 has to offer though all classes shine in their own right.

Old 08-09-2022, 08:42 PM
Planar Protector

I’m no mage fanboy. It was my 6th or 7th alt. But all the way to 60 I never ever felt underpowered. I always tethered my pet dps to my mage on real time parsing and always … consistently… and effortlessness nearly always put out the most damage.

Why the fck have people not put wizard/druid dead last? Cause they can port? They both suck donkey dick at sustained dps. Druids can passably heal but all other healers do it better.

#confused

To whatever end … of all the classes I’ve played (including 1 of the 2 I value least as noted above) I have never felt underpowered. My druid heals well enough to get by and the mobility and buffs are nice.