Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 01-22-2022, 10:30 PM
Large Rat

Default Starting a new group of characters for family

My kids and I are going to start playing P99. I wanted to get your advice on what four classes a family of four should play. Here's what I am thinking:

Ogre Warrior
- Need a solid tank with great stats
- Experience penalty won't matter much in a good group
- Needs a dedicated healer

Erudite Wizard vs. Mage
- Need solid damage output.
- High mana usage needs to be dealt with

Cleric
- Healer for the group. Efficient mana usage for heals compared to other classes.
- What race?

Bard? Enchanter? Something else?
I'm curious what you would add as the fourth class. I was thinking either enchanter or bard for the haste, mana regen, and other great buffs. Enchanter > Bard?? If so, what race?

Thanks! Excited to come back to this game after 20 years.
Old 01-22-2022, 11:50 PM
Fire Giant

Warrior, enchanter, cleric, rogue
Old 01-22-2022, 11:51 PM
Planar Protector

I would go mage over wizard. Wizards dont have sustained damage output until very late game with clickies. Mage basically is the benefit of nukes while having consistant melee dps from the pet.

Any healer would work well for you. Cleric is ofcourse the most straightforward choice but consider ports from druids or buffs/slows from a shaman. Cant go wrong with any of them. Have them pick their favorite

The bard vs Enchanter argument is interesting but i would say that enchanter will outclass the bard for general grouping purposes. Youll get charm dps, the reliable cc and the mind buffs / haste. Bards offer similar benefits albeit less potency over all. There is some credit to being able to cc 20 mobs with aoe snare though. High elf is the technical best race for enchanter and half elf for bard but mostly wont make a difference. Human bards can wear robes [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Your last slot could be viably filled by any dedicated dps class. Necros have good utility if played to their full extent but a rogue brings that raw melee dps that is perfect for xp groups.
Fauvana 60 Erudite Necromancer
Erjav 60 Human Bard
Enjamini 60 Human Magician
Deepwalter 60 Erudite Paladin
Seliel 60 Human Rogue
Enjoii 54 Dark Elf Warrior
Old 01-23-2022, 03:13 AM
Fire Giant

First, I vote yall play whatever sounds fun, but if I had to vote between mage and wizzy for that group I'd actually choose Wiz. Ports are super nice, especially when trying to tip for 4 people. Tank + enc + cleric will be beastly on its own - some extra dps, ports, extra root CC, and evacs are all just a nice bonus IMHO.

If you like ogres have you considered SK btw? Give opportunity to FD pull in addition calm/Pacific options from cleric and enc.

Just my two cents of course.

Super jelly of having a static 4 person group! Should be a blast regardless of exact make-up.
Old 01-23-2022, 03:57 AM
Fire Giant

Paladin Enchanter Cleric Druid. Enchanter & Druid can charm. Sweet baby jesus. 3 people who can heal, u can fear kite with druid and enchanter. O somebody stop em.
Old 01-23-2022, 07:24 AM
Banned

Red face

"Family "
Old 01-23-2022, 11:13 AM
Large Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by starkind [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
"Family "
I get the kids over the summer - ex-wife and I are divorced. So this is really my only opportunity to bond with them. We're ready to prove it to the mods so hopefully they will make it work for us here. Otherwise, NBD, we can always go to the live servers but the tradeoff will be the lack of great environment that P99 has.
Old 01-23-2022, 11:15 AM
Large Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philistine [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
First, I vote yall play whatever sounds fun, but if I had to vote between mage and wizzy for that group I'd actually choose Wiz. Ports are super nice, especially when trying to tip for 4 people. Tank + enc + cleric will be beastly on its own - some extra dps, ports, extra root CC, and evacs are all just a nice bonus IMHO.

If you like ogres have you considered SK btw? Give opportunity to FD pull in addition calm/Pacific options from cleric and enc.

Just my two cents of course.

Super jelly of having a static 4 person group! Should be a blast regardless of exact make-up.
Thanks - this is exactly what I started exploring last night. I played a warrior in the old days and loved it. I'm going to miss giving it up but it is hard to pass up the solid aggro generation capability of a good SK tank.

So now we are thinking: SK / CLE / WIZ. I'm personally in favor of an ENC but am worried about their contribution to the group. Sure, the haste and mana regen is great, but do they otherwise make contributions to DPS? Is the haste and mana regen enough? I've never played an ENC before so forgive my ignorance.
Old 01-23-2022, 02:32 PM
Planar Protector

Player 1: War / SK / Pal / Monk

Player 2: Enc / Bard / Necro

Player 3: Druid / Cleric / Shaman

Player 4: Mage, rogue, monk, wiz

The best 4 man group is war, enc, cleric, rogue by a country mile...but you could also do a theme like all iksar (War/SK, monk, shaman, necro), charm/pet insanity (enc, necro, bard, mage/druid), etc.

Just make sure you have a slower. Slows are the most efficient "heals" in the game.
Old 01-23-2022, 03:35 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxigen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Player 1: War / SK / Pal / Monk

Player 2: Enc / Bard / Necro

Player 3: Druid / Cleric / Shaman

Player 4: Mage, rogue, monk, wiz

The best 4 man group is war, enc, cleric, rogue by a country mile...but you could also do a theme like all iksar (War/SK, monk, shaman, necro), charm/pet insanity (enc, necro, bard, mage/druid), etc.

Just make sure you have a slower. Slows are the most efficient "heals" in the game.
I agree with everything except for warrior. Warriors have such pitiful snap aggro, and not really that much better at tanking than an SK or Pal. An SK with a rusty long sword and disease cloud can hold aggro (sub level 45) better than a warrior with 2000pp weapons. SK's have FD, which is an invaluable spell for any group pulling in dungeons.

But other than that, everything is right on. Enchanters are just so powerful with mana regen, charm, haste, slow, and Mez. Clerics are the weakest link here until they get complete heal, and then its a no brainer.