Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 06:46 AM
Aviak

Default New troll shaman questions on equipment

Hi All!

I was listening to some everquest music a couple of weeks back, found out about P1999 and logged on yday. Surprisingly enough I found it fun and I think I want to relive my Barb Shaman from back in the day, only being evil race this time.
I thought about making a different class, but no, I want to be a shaman. Again [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

This week is not that busy at work so I am trying to make some plans on where to go and what equipment to get.
This might sound silly, but here goes:

Question 1. Can trolls only wear large armor and not medium?

If so, that means i can't wear Chitin_Shell_Armor for example?

I hope this is not the case because it seems a lot of medium armor is good and it would severely make the choice of armor smaller for Ogres and Trolls compared to Barbarian.

Question 2. I like grouping instead of soloing since its just a lot of fun for me. Where are some good spots I should be camping in order to procure good troll shaman items? Preferably dungeons, although any nameds are good.

I am planning on doing all the totemic armor quests. They were SOO satisfying to do over 10 years ago due to the extensive travelling and tough drop rates. Ofcourse I plan to do it again with my troll shaman.

Thanks in advance [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 02-02-2011, 07:29 AM
Aviak

I did reading and it seems it would be better for me to make my Diety Innoruuk instead Cazik Thule due to the neck piece.

I will reroll since I am only level 2, hopefully I will keep my name upon deleting the character.

If someone thinks the neck item is not really worth it to reroll, please let me know.

Thanks.
Old 02-02-2011, 08:39 AM
Planar Protector

Ogre > Troll

Med/large armor doesn't really mean anything past banded. Besides, isn't chitin shell armor dwarf/halfling/gnome anyway?

lol wut
Old 02-02-2011, 08:50 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuda [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Question 1. Can trolls only wear large armor and not medium?
Correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuda [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If so, that means i can't wear Chitin_Shell_Armor for example?
Nope; Chitin Shell Armor is large race only, so your troll could wear it.

Quote:
I hope this is not the case because it seems a lot of medium armor is good and it would severely make the choice of armor smaller for Ogres and Trolls compared to Barbarian.
Honestly, i'd consider going Ogre. There's been a ton of debate about it, but Ogre stats, immunity to frontal stuns, etc make them an incredible shaman choice. Many people (myself included) consider Ogre Shamans > Troll Shamans.

Here's a link to some of the lively debate: http://www.project1999.org/forums/sh...ht=shaman+race

The regen always catches your eye, but Ogre stats + Stun Immunity are better in the long run. I consider regen insignificant to being able to always get off roots (frontal bashes don't interrupt your casting, nor do regular hits the vast majority of the time).

Quote:
Question 2. I like grouping instead of soloing since its just a lot of fun for me. Where are some good spots I should be camping in order to procure good troll shaman items? Preferably dungeons, although any nameds are good.
Just make money. Lots of money. Items are cheap on this server. You should probably save 250p for a gloomwater harpoon as a weapon; very effective, commonly sold, good item with good stats.

Group as you go - i.e. Dervs/Orc/Croc groups in EC/Ro/Oasis, Upper guk/Sol A/Mistmoore in early 20s...although I don't know a ton about good grouping locations since I nearly exclusively solo.

Quote:
I am planning on doing all the totemic armor quests. They were SOO satisfying to do over 10 years ago due to the extensive travelling and tough drop rates. Ofcourse I plan to do it again with my troll shaman.
If you need any info on those...http://wiki.project1999.org/index.ph...c_Armor_Quests

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumbledorf View Post
I'll look into getting it changed to The Secret Order of the Silver Rose of Truth and Dragons.
Old 02-02-2011, 10:21 AM
Planar Protector

If you wanna go troll, go troll; each race has its merits. If you're going to be grouping all the time, try and avoid outdoor zones like Ro and Oasis, as dungeons have EXP bonuses and better loot. I would head into Upper Guk as soon as you can. Some loot to keep an eye out for is the savant's cap and bloodstained tunic/mantle in Unrest, split paw hide gloves from Infected Paw, embroidered black cape from Lower Guk, and runed mithril bracer from Solusek B. However, you will easily be able to buy these items and better ones by just earning money through loot and going to EC. I've built up something like 5000pp by level 41 by just selling loot to merchants and finding the occasional expensive piece of loot I'd sell to players. The combined worth of the items I mentioned is a few hundred plat.

Gear-wise, my suggestion to you is to get a full suit of large banded early on, some silver and electrum WIS rings/earrings, an OK weapon (I went with Cold Iron Morning Star first and then Gloomwater Harpoon), and an OK shield (Bark Shield has been good to me). That'll do you fine until level 30, at which point you can go quest all your totemic (though you'll need help in a couple places, e.g. Kedge). By that time you'll also start to accumulate decent sums of money and can buy stuff at EC.

Really the only reason I've been finding gear upgrades while EXPing in dungeons is that I've been hoarding my money for other, more gear-dependent characters, rather than spending it on my shaman.
Need a port or a rez? Hit me up on IRC!
Old 02-02-2011, 10:47 AM
Aviak

Thanks for the quick replies Messianic and Estu.

Regarding the race, I would not say I am a hardcore min maxer. Still I would like to have an idea about how my end game character would perform.
I read the whole thread you linked Messianic, it was very informative.
From reading all the entries, it appears to me No front stun from Ogre is powerful, even more so than the regen.
In conclusion I think I will reroll Ogre.

For Ogre Shaman, Deity does not matter right?
(Maybe I can only choose one Deity, i did not check yet)

Regarding the items you recommend Estu, thanks a lot.
I think it is fun making item lists at work and planning the retro trip of a life time levelling to 50 in classic EQ.
Making money and buying the items might be easier, and I think I will do this for most of them. But camping for a long time and then finally getting the item.... ahhhh the feeling is exquisite.

For some reason I realized that EQ Classic and Hellraiser go hand in hand. In Hellraiser the character Frank can only derive pleasure from pain due to being desentivized due to indulging in pleasures too much.

After playing games after EQ, the rewards come too easily. To be honest I do not feel much pleasure attaining them anymore.
That is what I hope to relive again, pleasure through pain [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 02-02-2011, 11:01 AM
Kobold

be troll, and totemic sucks

<Grunny Swampskin>Retired
<Brennard>Retired
<Alton> Retired
<Vizuni>
Old 02-02-2011, 02:42 PM
Banned

Last edited by dredge; 12-12-2012 at 09:21 PM..
Old 02-02-2011, 05:20 PM
Planar Protector

Ogre starting stats are just so disgustingly good... You can get an unbelievable amount of Stamina (which has a scaling effect, i.e. more hp per sta at higher levels) if you pump all your points into it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumbledorf View Post
I'll look into getting it changed to The Secret Order of the Silver Rose of Truth and Dragons.
Old 02-03-2011, 04:26 AM
Aviak

@ Messianic: For Ogre, I thought i should put 25 points in wis and 5 points in stam?

Maybe this doesn't matter all that much, but I thought this was the best course of action. Are you saying that due to getting a lot of wis (from items) at high levels, more stam is important in the end game?

Anyways I do not think I will change my current distribution of 25Wis and 5 Stam, however I am curious I would have to admit.

Thanks dredge, I'll get a large banded set once i get some cash.
I remember (lol i sound old now) when I was a Barb Shaman, I bought the dufrenite from the vendors at around 150pp a pop. That was ALOT of money for me back then. I read now that players sell them for around 50-70pp if you can find them. I think I will go the latter route this time around.

The Barb faction is great, I am actually a bit worried about travelling with lots of people finding me KOS. For the wooly mammoth drop needed in everfrost for one of the totemic pieces, that's a long and dangerous trek.
Then again, it's more of a challenge so I welcome it.
Closed Thread