Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 12-16-2012, 01:08 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuranthium [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It occurred to me that the RED server here at P1999 would benefit if it went "Discord" style.

Set it up so the server resets every month. What you'd be getting is a constant PvP competition - every month the top 10 players are announced and the competition begins again. The server population would be much higher, at least for the first half of each month, because everyone would be able to join in and compete every month. There would definitely be WAY more actual PvP happening; that should be what the RED server offers to players and this format could be perfect.

To make it even more playable, we could also code the server so that everyone automatically starts as level 5 and respawns as level 5 (with all of your skill caps auto-maxed up to that level) if they are killed. Each class could start with some equipment and/or spells too - not fully geared, but more than you would start with normally at level 1. This would shave off several hours of tedious setup time for new people coming to the sever, we all know how boring it is to kill newbie yard MOBs at the beginning, and also give killed players some extra incentive to keep going. It could be possible to die and still make the top 10 for the month, if proper alliances form and everyone "at the top" is getting killed.

That would be far, far more exciting than what the current RED server offers.
+1

Starting out on Red99 was a lot of fun, getting ganked on zone ins, avoiding gropus of 2 or 3 until you get your own group and you fight them.

Now newbie zones are sparse and there's no fun in starting up. But a restart every 1-2 months with leaderboards posted would be fantastic. I also like your idea of starting at level 5 instead of 1, or for that matter you could just have PVP start at level 1
Old 12-18-2012, 09:50 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toehammer [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Your whole mindset stems from the fact you lost a few low level diablo 2 characters. Good Diablo 2 players last well into their 80s. I have a couple 85-92 characters in hardcore mode. The good players have ALL lost high level characters... that is what makes you get better. I lost a level 88 barb to a lag spike... I learned neve to play with lag again... good lesson!
Ya, I spose you're right.

I was at the point where I realized I had to slow my game down. I stayed in lower level areas longer to keep my chances of dying low. But it gets boring. And you get tempted sometimes by higher level groups asking you to join them. And I had a tough time getting barbarians high with whirlwind.

I recall several times at least seeing a high level die. I remember being I think in nightmare and some high level died while in hell or something. He died and just left.

Not all classes in Diablo 2 lvl easy either. They're not equally represented on the ladder.

I did die to lag a few times. The others were just me up against something too tough.

I saw no point in playing on the non-hardcore servers. They didn't appeal to me.

My previous post here says everything I'd like to say about perma-death. Briefly, I think RL has a lot to teach us if we want to implement perma-death in games since RL is a working model. It's kind of like watching birds if you want to make something that flies. RL has spent billions of years creating life-forms that live and die.

Raiding: http://www.project1999.com/forums/sh...&postcount=109
P1999 Class Popularity Chart: http://www.project1999.com/forums/sh...7&postcount=48
P1999 PvP Statistics: http://www.project1999.com/forums/sh...9&postcount=59

"Global chat is to conversation what pok books are to travel, but without sufficient population it doesn't matter."
Last edited by stormlord; 12-18-2012 at 10:00 PM..
Old 12-21-2012, 03:30 PM
Fire Giant

Not sure what the guy's name was on Discord but the winner was a neutral from SZ, Pyrate. I believe he played a cleric on discord. He duo'd with his brother, Farglebump.
Old 12-22-2012, 02:46 PM
Sarnak

Pyratt Pete & Apostle Pete
Old 12-22-2012, 06:50 PM
Fire Giant

Default discord

Haven't read through all the posts; but if Darkenbane was the "gnome mafia," we pretty much destroyed that server. I played a elf wizard. I think 4 of the top 5 were all DBC. I myself Got to lvl 24, had a decent amount of kills racked up; but, got wtfowned by some named faery in lesser fay. I then got back up to lvl 25, and zoned into felwithe to bank. When i was leaving the zone i got ambushed by 3 lvl 10 mages, a lvl 13 pally, and some other random newbs. Blinded, rooted, mere feet from the zone... it was a humiliating death.

Lol at the guy using speed hacks. I didnt use speed hacks, I didnt see any DBC people use hacks. Maybe some did if you can trust a guy who openly admits to hacking and then talks about how skilled they were at the same time. I never saw highlander and co in game, but i heard about you two. And the word on the street was gtfo dodge, not because of your skill, but because of your hacks.

Dolic
Last edited by Fael; 12-22-2012 at 06:55 PM..
Closed Thread