Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Server Issues > Bugs

Old 08-24-2021, 03:15 AM
Fire Giant

Default Enchanter pets should not be using 2handed weapons I think

Greetings

I know memory is not proof.

I do distinctly remember trying to give my lower level enchanter pets rusty scythes for better damage but they would never take it.

I have done searches before but to no avail. I finally did find something referencing this but its from 2002 so take it for what is worth.

Post on the old druid gove forum. https://thedruidsgrove.org/archive/eq/t-3010.html

Posty by Zyphyr there:
"Basic rules for equiping pets:

1)Pets max damage becomes the greater of its inherent max or (weapon damage rating)*2

2)Pet attack delay is never changed by weapons. Delay is only used to determine which weapon is actually wielded.

3)Pets will use procs if the pet is sufficient level to do so. Same level restrictions as PCs.

4)If you give the pet multiple weapons, the order does matter. First weapon is equiped in primary slot. Second weapon in secondary, unless it is a primary only weapon in which case it is either discarded or equiped in place of the currently equiped primary weapon (only if it is faster).

5)If the pet is already equiped and you give it a new weapon, it will use the faster weapon.

6)2H weapons will only be equiped by pets that do not inherently Dual Wield. On pets which have DW skill but do not DW without weapons (such as level 24/29 Mage pets and any Enchanter pet), you have the option of 1 2H weapon of 2 1H weapons. If the pet will DW w/o weapons equiped it will not equip a 2H weapon.

7)Pets will not under any circumstances equip a no-drop item. You can hand it to them, but it will be destroyed instantly upon you hiting Trade.

I think that covers everything important."

Number 2 & 5 are the one that come to mind referencing the enchanted pets: if i rem right the enchanter pet sword is 4 dam 27 delay . That means it would not take a rusty two hander because it was much slower.

Thank you for listening

-------------------------------------------------------------
Nilbog:

" I'll keep making classic changes when I can, regardless if people threaten to quit. I'm here to recreate classic eq; not to make people happy."
Last edited by Buellen; 08-24-2021 at 03:18 AM..
Old 08-24-2021, 04:21 AM
Planar Protector

From what I see, yes, enchanter pets should be able to wield 2h weapons and gain the benefits, same as a necro pet.

Quote:
posted April 26, 2001 11:40 AM

Incorrect ... tested two weeks ago with a level 4 pet and a BBC. Anyone can easily reproduce this test and see that he then hit's for the damage of the BBC.

--------------------

-- Tinlar
52 Enchanter
Tarew Marr
Spawn of Innoruuk

https://web.archive.org/web/20010516...c&f=9&t=004436
Also, your post is not quite correct. From what I see, ench pets that could dual wield WOULD equip 2h weapons, but as a 1h weapon! For instance they would dual wield scythes:

Quote:
Mon Jun 26 03:26:14 BST 2000

I've also seen some pets that are dual wielding 2H
weapons (hang around a spectre killing group with pets and you'll likely see
this happen...) This includes enchanter pets... I've personally had a pet
that was two floating scythes.

https://github.com/dbsanfte/eq-archi...html/2761.html
Lastly, minor history lesson, since I'm a pedant:

#2 used to be true, but was changed in the Great Necro Daggers Nerf of January 2000. Up until then you could give necro/ench pets two daggers (had to be two different kinds, fs dagger and bronze dagger for instance) and they would attack faster.

Source:
https://wiki.project1999.com/Patch_N...ary_28.2C_2000

Post-patch you could hand them identical weapons and they would dual wield, but it wouldn't affect their attack delay.

Also, until that same Jan 2000 patch, mage pets would not dual wield, and could not equip weapons whatsoever.
Last edited by Dolalin; 08-24-2021 at 04:27 AM..
Old 08-24-2021, 07:12 PM
Fire Giant

Thank you for responding Dolalin.

I cannot find any other post regard the enchanter pet being able to be given a rusty scythe or two hander. Even in that post one person questions the post you linked

i did run test in game here on project 1999.

I used my level 4 mage pet gave him a rusty dagger and wooden shield The dagger is about same speed as enchanter pet sword. Not sure on enchanter pet shield ac. attacked a fish and surefall glade and mage pet pierced firsh for 10 damage.

I then tried to give my mage pet a rusty scyth and attacked a fish Xekab pierces a fish for 10 damage.

I tried to give same pet a Rusty two hander and attacked a fish Xekab pierices a fish for 10 damage

I tried to give same pet a Worn great staff and attacked a fish Xekab pierces a fish for 10 damage.

As you can see if the pet has a faster weapon already equipped it will not equip the slower.

SO are the enchanter animation not being summed with shield and sword equipped ?

Nilbog:

" I'll keep making classic changes when I can, regardless if people threaten to quit. I'm here to recreate classic eq; not to make people happy."
Last edited by Buellen; 08-24-2021 at 07:14 PM..
Old 08-24-2021, 09:59 PM
Fire Giant

Default Regrading dual wielding scythes

Found this thread from 2000 necro pet discussion.

https://groups.google.com/g/alt.game...m/fax_lmcQxhAJ

Madboona post

"I recall an incident with either the level 34 or 39 necro pet (can't recall
which exactly) that it will dual wield two 2h bronze axes that drop off the
dwarves in Butcherblock.

I just smiled and told people that commented about it that my pet was "quad
wielding" ; ) "

"Forgot to mention that it might be fixed in a patch now also."

Sean Respongin got Madboona

"They will wield the axes, but they have no bearring on damage output. (I
checked with two scythes) It looks really cool, but its just for show."

Sean Responding to another post where player said you can give no drop and two 2H-handed weapons.

You can GIVE them to your pet, he just will not dual weild and double attack
with them.
Same for no drop items.

------------------------------------------------------

Not sure if this is relevant to enchanter animations.

Thanks for Listening

Nilbog:

Last edited by Buellen; 08-24-2021 at 10:02 PM..
Old 08-25-2021, 02:27 AM
Fire Giant

Default Enchanter Animations are supposed to have weapons on summons

I was just being thorough in case someone thinks they are not supposed to have a weapon when first summoned.

From 2004 yes out era but poster talks about original pets.

https://web.archive.org/web/20050225...pic.php?t=5184

"The original balance was necro pet was overpowered(generally beefy), you have 4 various mage pets for specialty purposes, and you had ginsu bob (because ours had the lowest delay weapons to start with); all pets started duel wielding at 29 (if given weapons), our pet also seemed to have a much higher innate dex."

PS

Found site from 2000 that Reinforces # 2 from my first post.

https://web.archive.org/web/20001018...ompendium.com/

"General Pet Information

Adding weapons to pets only allows them to duel wield, it does not alter their Damage or Attack Speed. However pets that inherently do less damage than a weapons damage will benefit from receiving weapons, only if the weapon's damage is greater than the pets maximum damage divided by 2 will it increase the damage the pet does. (I think this works on pets up to and including level 16 summons).

When pets receive weapons they will automatically use the weapons with the lowest attack delay."

Nilbog:

Last edited by Buellen; 08-25-2021 at 02:46 AM..
Old 08-25-2021, 03:05 AM
Fire Giant

Forgot to bold this part

"Adding weapons to pets only allows them to duel wield, it does not alter their Damage or Attack Speed. However pets that inherently do less damage than a weapons damage will benefit from receiving weapons, only if the weapon's damage is greater than the pets maximum damage divided by 2 will it increase the damage the pet does. (I think this works on pets up to and including level 16 summons).

Nilbog:

Old 08-25-2021, 04:18 AM
Planar Protector

I think you are mixing up several scenarios here.

The summoned weapons that enchanter pets came equipped with were special in some sense in code, and being No Drop, if a player handed the pet a droppable weapon, that weapon would always be preferred by the pet over the axe (or whatever) they came summoned with.

Scenarios as they were in Classic (to the best of my knowledge):

This is my understanding on how pets and weapons worked on Live, from being a necro on Live and reading posts about this from classic times.

Weapon choice:

1a) If a pet is handed droppable weapons it will equip them, and prefer them over any innate No Drop weapons it might come summoned with.

1b) If the pet's innate max dmg is less than the damage on the weapon, it will take the damage of the weapon.

1c) If a pet is given two or more weapons, it will prefer the lower-delay weapons. Again, due to 1a, it ignores NO DROP weapons in this calculation.

Dual wielding:

2a) If the pet cannot dual wield, it will not equip a weapon in its offhand, ever. (Note: This does not work properly on P99)

2b) If the pet CAN dual wield, then if you hand the pet two weapons, whether they be 1h or 2h, it will equip them and dual wield. (Note: By the time pets can dual wield, their innate damage is higher than any 2h you would reasonably give them, so it won't affect their max hit.)

Delay impact:

3a) Before Jan 2000 nerf, the delay of the weapons was taken into account by the pet. The pet would take the lowest delay value of either their innate delay or the weapon's delay. (Historical note: all NPCs originally just used the damage/delay of the weapon outright no matter what it was; this was nerfed very early on because people were handing fishing rods to high level NPCs to debuff them, lol)

3b) After Jan 2000 nerf, weapons would never modify the pet's delay. (Note also, in the same patch: Mages gained the ability to give their pets weapons and the pets gained the ability to dual wield).

Notes on interpretation:

Some comments on interpreting classic posts about pets and weapons:

A) Things on P99 do not work the way they 'should'; pets and weapon-wielding are not fully classic here. I made bug threads about this. It's in the backlog to fix I'm sure.

B) Enchanter pet weapons they come summoned with are No Drop, and the pet's coding on live (and probably here too) causes them to prefer any weapon handed to them over a No Drop weapon.

C) When people in classic times talk about dual-wielding 2h weapons not affecting the "damage output" of the pet, they almost certainly mean the max damage of their hits, not whether they would dual wield with them. They definitely dual wielded with them, using their innate dmg/delay in primary and offhands.
Last edited by Dolalin; 08-25-2021 at 04:33 AM..
Old 08-25-2021, 12:59 PM
Fire Giant

Thank you Dolalin.

I have been educated and informed. 8)

I stand corrected.

Nilbog: