Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 06-10-2013, 09:28 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by t0lkien [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
and every single damn zone is instanced.
I don't like this trend at all. Seemingly counterintuitive, seeing as the first word in the acronym mmorpg is Massively [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 06-10-2013, 11:58 AM
Banned

Scrubs don't like capitalism
Old 06-10-2013, 12:18 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korisek [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
But I think the final straw for me were the Drakken. I was cool with new classes and races up until that point because at least with the Vah Shir and Frogloks it looked like SOME effort was taken into their modelling and texturing. But then they added in the dracogackts with their world-destroying Crescent Reach and I just felt there was no point to it anymore.
I thought the Drakken (along with a scant few of the Luclin models, like perhaps the human female) were actually modeled pretty well. Their animations, however, were terrible.

How did Crescent Reach destroy the world? It was a extremely convenient place to do tradeskills, granted... but the precedent had already been set.

Quote:
Originally Posted by t0lkien [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Also, [EQ2] character models looked like Plasticine.
With few exceptions (horses, ogres), I thought EQ2 was gorgeous - at least with settings on high. Dumbed down to where you could play it on an affordable machine - yes, it could look pretty sucky sometimes.
Old 06-10-2013, 12:22 PM
Banned

I had some fun with EQ2. Even the PvP a few levels with the open world stuff. There was single item loot (GOOD) but it got f'd with the honor system/token stuff being no drop... and frankly... existing at all. Slowly lost interest from there.
Old 06-10-2013, 12:44 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droog007 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
How did Crescent Reach destroy the world? It was a extremely convenient place to do tradeskills, granted... but the precedent had already been set.
The thing is, the PoK and Gloomingdeep DID shrink the world significantly and DID make all the old systems surrounding faction and the ways characters were forced to interact with the world around them less significant, but in the end the PoK still required players to have at least visited their character's non-homogenous home cities at least once in their lives, and gloomingdeep dumped players off in their home cities just a little bit richer/more experienced than if they hadn't done the "tutorial." But Crescent Reach finally did away with home cities by allowing EVERYONE to start there, and every new alt did.

The individual, varied, and quite frankly very colorful home cities of all of the races of norrath, from the fairly austere Freeport and Qeynos to the majestic Erud to the ramshackle Grobb, were the biggest draws to me as a player. Different players got different starts and different beginner experiences through those opening cities, and often got relatively unique items from the quests in those areas. It helped make the world feel more... well, like a world.

I could grok the Nexus, the PoK, and Gloomingdeep because those zones didn't do what Crescent Reach did, in my opinion, to the largest sources of individual race lore in the whole game.

Also, I think the Drakken were just horridly ugly and generic-looking and I would have vastly preferred playable gnolls or orcs over them, because at least those had precedence. I would vote frogloks as the well-modeled new player race, personally.

I don't like empty character slots that much.
Old 06-10-2013, 12:52 PM
Fire Giant

I forgot about non-Drakken being able to choose it as your starting city. That is dumb. I remember when I came back to the game after Hiatus02 it gave me the option between Halas and CR. I don't think I realized that it would affect the then-unknown-to-me "Origin" ability, but I'm glad I went with my gut and picked Halas anyway.
Old 06-10-2013, 12:57 PM
Planar Protector

Starting area didn't matter anyway, after the PoK books.

Luclin was the beginning of the end, with their wiz spires porting to an area where PvP was not allowed, and bazaar where PvP was not allowed. It really ruined the trading experience, where lights traded in gfay and darks around Neriak. So much for meaningful RP...

Red99
Closed Thread