Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

View Poll Results: What made it into the crapshoot it is today?
Consolification (Developers universally developing for consoles/mainstream first) 18 66.67%
Games becoming 100% virtual DDL/DRM/Steam Etc. 6 22.22%
Nothing is wrong with being a gamer I can't wait for FF XXCVII, MGS 16, and CoD Blue Ribbon! 3 11.11%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 06-10-2013, 05:15 AM
Banned

Default The video game industry

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 06-10-2013, 06:27 AM
Planar Protector

not nearly enough options. cant vote

if i did i would say we are in the ending phase of a technology race between developers to get their new shiny shit out as fast as possible and lure kids in with graphix and toys

thats still going on (hurr durr look at how much money we spent on lara croft's hair) but today we are seeing more success and longevity in those games with huge worlds, heavy content, or enormous potential for customization .. hell we are even still playing the original classics

devs must be noticing and discussing it

maybe im being too optimistic, but yeah, i think as more gamers get fed up with lack of content and become vocal about it, devs will start responding. either that or these gamers will just grow up and design their own shit
Old 06-10-2013, 06:36 AM
Banned

Indie games are the only things that give me hope for any form of enjoyable gaming to continue to exist.
Minecraft was a stroke of genius. Kudos to Notch for that one, still pissed at Bethesda over the Scrolls bullshit.
Slender was short smart and simple, though the sequel wasn't nearly as great. Whoever made it is obviously going places though I can unfortunately smell mainstream with them.

Zun w/ Team Shanghai Alice has made the ultimate approach for an independent game though. PC only is nice but the big thing is his marketing strategy. He makes his money off of his games and aside from that he lets anyone do anything that they want with his characters/world/games under one condition, they have a set limit of profits and are not allowed to go through mainstream distribution.
What started in 1996 is still going strong with regular releases virtually every year from the parent company and I've yet to meet a fan of his work who tries to make the claim that he's 'sold out', 'jumped the shark' or 'lost his touch'.

I remember when companies like ID software and Blizzard were like that too. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 06-10-2013, 06:44 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubur [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
not nearly enough options. cant vote
You're absolutely right. I should have added an option about multiplayer being forced in pretty much every game and no more decent single player games being developed because they expect players to get bored and want to shoot each other these days.

Also an issue is the polarization between companies either dumbing down of certain games that a monkey can excel at them and at the same time making games that appeal only to the hardcore MLG you're only as good as your actions-per-minute tourneyfags. (Blizzard I'm looking at you here)

Probably other stuff too.
Old 06-10-2013, 07:16 AM
Planar Protector

just want to point out that 'scrolls bullshit' was totally NOT bethesda, but their lawyers/legal team doing what lawyers get paid a ridiculous retainer to do.

Several higher ups at bethesda made comments that amounted to 'we don't give a single fuck (but our lawyers need something to do besides sail around in their yachts and drive supercars)"

http://www.project1999.org/forums/sh...ad.php?t=94928

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhambuk View Post
gotrocks community savior
Old 06-10-2013, 11:57 AM
Planar Protector

what "scrolls bullshit" ?
Old 06-10-2013, 12:02 PM
Planar Protector

Notch wanted to make a new game after minecraft titled 'scrolls' or something like that.

bethesda lawyers went apeshit because it 'sounded too much like "the elder scrolls" and would infringe on their IP'

thats the quick version, the long version isnt much more interesting

http://www.project1999.org/forums/sh...ad.php?t=94928

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhambuk View Post
gotrocks community savior
Old 06-10-2013, 12:04 PM
Planar Protector

aha .. how dumb
Old 06-10-2013, 12:05 PM
Planar Protector

should call it "The Younger Scrolls"
Old 06-10-2013, 12:05 PM