Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 01-15-2020, 09:11 AM
Decaying Skeleton

Default How to install latest patch on mac?

Hi all -

Apologies if this is posted somewhere but I've scoured the boards.

I am a mac user and I used this youtube tutorial to install P1999:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xfNbEUVweM

Instead of copy and pasting the contents of Patch P30, I've done it for 52B....but then when I try to launch the game, nothing happens...

Any help with how to properly install the latest patch on a mac?

thanks!
Old 01-15-2020, 10:33 AM
Decaying Skeleton

I figured it out, but now when I play the game there is no sky or ground textures...it's all blank. any idea how to fix?
Old 01-15-2020, 11:14 AM
Orc

Default I had this issue

Pat - I've been playing on a Mac using the Wineskin method - is that what you're doing?
After installing a patch I had the same issue you seem to be having. What has happened is a directory (or multiple directories) have been copied over by the patch, which includes only the changed files. So any pre-existing files which the patch didn't contain have been deleted! Hopefully you kept an original backup of EQ? What I had to do was look carefully at the patch, examine all affected directories, and replace everything that got whacked from my backup of the original. Yes, it's a PITA. Next time you patch, be extremely careful.
Put more simply: unpack the patch somewhere safe, then copy files from each individual directory into the proper directory of your install.
Last edited by camdog; 01-15-2020 at 11:30 AM..
Old 01-16-2020, 05:14 AM
Decaying Skeleton

hey thank you for the reply! it seems to be working now [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 01-18-2020, 04:01 PM
Skeleton

Default Help please!

I've been trying to get this set up on my old iMac for the better part of the day. I have reinstalled the files multiple times, and have applied the patch very carefully. I seem to be having problems with the DSETUP.dll file.

I have tried replacing every file save the DSETUP file, and I can log to the character screen without a problem. The character screen says my spell files are out of date. If I move the DSETUP.dll file from the patch over, the client won't even load.

This is my first attempt using wine on my Mac, and any advice would be greatly appreciated!

ETA: When I copied the patch files over, I opened up each folder and copied the files directly into the folder where they would reside. The only folder I dragged over was the velious folder (as it didn't exist in the original install). When I look at the wine error log I'm seeing "DSETUP.dll failed to initialize". I read that there was a virus filter that could affect this, but I don't think I have one running on this computer.
Last edited by OldFloridaMan; 01-18-2020 at 04:11 PM..
Old 01-18-2020, 10:08 PM
Skeleton

Ok, got the game to work, but it is doing something weird with mouse look - it will only turn about 270 degrees before it stops. I have to release the buttons and restart the mouse look to go farther than that. Anyone run into this before?
Old 01-19-2020, 08:00 AM
Orc

That's a new one on me Florida. Curious - what OS are u running on that iMac?
Old 01-19-2020, 08:02 AM
Orc

Upgrading to Catalina has thrown me a curveball. Seems the new default shell is zsh rather than bash. The Wineskin-EQ package must be using bash, and it barfs. Anyone dealing with this?
Old 01-19-2020, 02:17 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by camdog [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Upgrading to Catalina has thrown me a curveball. Seems the new default shell is zsh rather than bash. The Wineskin-EQ package must be using bash, and it barfs. Anyone dealing with this?
Catalina no longer supports 32 bit applications at all. I'm not sure there's a working solution for getting it to run on Catalina outside of creating a partition with an older mac osx version like high sierra or bootcamp, or a vm of high sierra/windows.

As for patching on a mac, I recently found out that if you hold 'option' while you drag/drop the folder you will get an option to 'merge' rather than completely overwrite.
Old 01-20-2020, 09:30 AM
Orc

Thx Argh - I kept fooling around and my screen went black for 15 seconds, then in my terminal window one of the lines reads "restored" so it tried to run Wineskin-EQ and then gave up and backed it all out. I might bite the bullet and buy a used Windows laptop - or break out my Sager laptop from 2003 running WinXP - it will take 45 sec to zone on that thing)