Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

View Poll Results: How Much Student Loan will be forgiven in this Term?
$10,000 4 14.29%
$1,400 0 0%
$0, since we already stimulated you with 600$ 10 35.71%
You owe us 600$ and another $1400 for rebuilding the towers we burned down 14 50.00%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 01-19-2021, 03:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustoo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Thanks for explaining the relation.

Is there data that shows women default on their student loans more than men?

Actual question not rhetorical.
That's a good question and I don't know.

I would imagine it's a verboten subject to talk about academically though
Old 01-19-2021, 04:10 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustoo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Also I didn’t know the student loan crisis was a crisis outside of the crisis of the middle class ceasing to exist which the loan thing would be more a symptom of than a cause. Does anyone think student loans are actually the cause of bad stuff or just think it would be nice not to pay them?
I think the loans and the government allowing and regulating them very poorly, are a part of the problem, problematic for sure.

I don't think the loan business should be legalized the way it especially is now. And loane givers should be somewhat more liable than loan recievers. I would prefer loans being outright illegal, but I also acknowledge how big international business has to interface with the loan markets to kinda of even be economically viable and how America needs access to international markets in order to not permanently spiral into recession as the rest of the globe kinda spins on.
Old 01-19-2021, 04:16 PM
Orc

I won't qualify because I am a privileged white male and make just enough to not be considered poor.
Old 01-19-2021, 04:23 PM
Planar Protector

unless the forgiveness is contingent upon working for a specific number of years in certain professions, student loan forgiveness is considered taxable income (unless they change the law before they do anything more)

so question to the committee: does the hypothetical exist that they forgive $10k to someone who was barely making minimum payments and such a person is unable to fit the $3k tax bill? or more if it hikes them into the next tax bracket? 10k is pipedream anyway but since we're talkin about it
Old 01-19-2021, 04:45 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwaihir [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
That's a good question and I don't know.

I would imagine it's a verboten subject to talk about academically though
If you don't have data, then why are you making that connection between the anti woman infographic and the student loan forgiveness?

Mblake81 I am not sure what you are trying to say, but I will clarify what I was trying to say.

I was trying to say that people in USA need to spend a lot of time in the education system. The purpose of this system is supposedly to prepare us for the world around us and to make us able to get jobs, and be productive.

Right now a high school diploma isn't good for much, and a bachelors degree not good for much more.

I was agreeing with another posters comment where he supposed if college was free, it would essentially be the same thing as high school. You wouldn't be legally requried to do it (i assume) but it would be considered a basic pre-requisite for some quantity of jobs, especially government (federal, state, local) jobs. So the benefit to the students would be minimal but the time sink would be extended.

Most people aren't going to college because they want educatin. They are going to college because they want a stamp next to their name that helps them get qualified for higher paying jobs.

Banking on being a social media celebrity is the same as banking on being any other kind of celebrity. Its a long shot bet.
Lost but not forgotten.
Old 01-19-2021, 04:48 PM
Banned

https://ww3.aauw.org/research/deeper-in-debt/

Well, without going into further detail this seems to indicate women hold 2/3rds of the entire student loan debt market in the US
Old 01-19-2021, 04:49 PM
Planar Protector

What about people with learning disabilities. Like, I know a lot of them and a traditional Dr. ate or PhD is likely out of my reach due to memory bandwidth. Google really enables me.

Just don't personally like the precedence all this emphasis on 50 years of continuous education is placing on us.
Last edited by magnetaress; 01-19-2021 at 04:52 PM..
Old 01-19-2021, 04:49 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Znakebite [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I won't qualify because I am a privileged white male and make just enough to not be considered poor.
What makes you say that? You qualified for the coravirus relief money, you are likely to qualify for student loan forgiveness if any comes around.
Lost but not forgotten.
Old 01-19-2021, 04:53 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetaress [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
What about people with learning disabilities. Like, I know a lot of them and a traditional Dr. ate or PhD is likely out of my reach due to memory bandwidth. Google really enables me.
Depending on the field you can probably find a school that you can complete a doctorate program in, these days. I've seen legitimately dumb people acquire masters degrees.

But to what end? It seems like it is only worth doing if you are seeking a vocation that demands it for success or if it is a requirement to fulfill your pride.
Lost but not forgotten.
Old 01-19-2021, 04:56 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Depending on the field you can probably find a school that you can complete a doctorate program in, these days. I've seen legitimately dumb people acquire masters degrees.

But to what end? It seems like it is only worth doing if you are seeking a vocation that demands it for success or if it is a requirement to fulfill your pride.
I was a perpetual C-D student. I really feel like I was left behind because I learned by doing and not wrote memorization. I can't communicate how hard basic memory stuff is.

I picked up shooting and yoga really quick tho.

Just feel like we ignore a massive segment of our society with modern educational expectations. It really is a subtle form of disenfranchisement.
Last edited by magnetaress; 01-19-2021 at 04:59 PM..
Closed Thread