Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

View Poll Results: How Much Student Loan will be forgiven in this Term?
$10,000 4 14.29%
$1,400 0 0%
$0, since we already stimulated you with 600$ 10 35.71%
You owe us 600$ and another $1400 for rebuilding the towers we burned down 14 50.00%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 01-19-2021, 05:06 PM
Planar Protector

The educational expectations are not modern they are antiquated and I agree. The system we have today was designed around producing factory workers that could manage a factory job (sit still for 8 hours follow basic instructions) it is not a system designed to create innovative problem solvers.

Historically, "education" has been weaponized since basically forever. We used to threaten people with death if they don't go to school. We might have told them back then that it was to help them get jobs and stuff too.

The main thing you get from school is being taught to sit still and stay out of trouble. Mission accomplished. All other goals are secondary. The system we have is probably working as intended.

Or not who knows.
Lost but not forgotten.
Old 01-19-2021, 05:13 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustoo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The educational expectations are not modern they are antiquated and I agree. The system we have today was designed around producing factory workers that could manage a factory job (sit still for 8 hours follow basic instructions) it is not a system designed to create innovative problem solvers.

Historically, "education" has been weaponized since basically forever. We used to threaten people with death if they don't go to school. We might have told them back then that it was to help them get jobs and stuff too.

The main thing you get from school is being taught to sit still and stay out of trouble. Mission accomplished. All other goals are secondary. The system we have is probably working as intended.

Or not who knows.
Gotchya. I see what you mean.
Old 01-19-2021, 05:15 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toehammer [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
1.6 trillion in student loans, why not?

1.2 trillion car loan debt, why not?

16 trillion in mortgage debt, why not?

printing press goes whirrrrrrrrr

The government is solely responsible for the student loan crisis and now have the cure! Same with economic shutdown, gov't causes the problem has the appeasing handout... reminds me of a movie villain https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEqDSC7DJJA Would pay good money to see Biden/Harris/Pelosi in black tuxedos say "the antidote for the poison you just drank, hahahaha".

People who bank on loan forgiveness are societal leeches. Good citizens pay them back https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62i2feu9fxk best takedown of a candidate I have ever seen. Previous posts are also correct, the majority of loans are held by high earners, doctors, lawyers, etc, just wealth transfer up. Also, sending the message that loans can be forgiven is like signaling to a kid it is ok to shit his pants instead of toilet training. Terrible message to society.

Neither political party in Washington cares anymore about debt... they both run it up with no regard for the future. Right spends too much on military, left spends too much on everything else. 600 bucks for ~150 million Americans = 90 billion, but they wanted 2.3 trillion plus!!! They could have just spent 2.3 trillion and given 15k to every adult for the laughs.

You can't make this shit up... it is so crazy. Not enough Friedmans, too many Krugmans.

If government had kept its incompetent hands out of the college loan game, college would be half or one-third of the current price, and administrative glut wouldn't exist... probably a lot less humanities/social science majors too, really better for society in every way imaginable.
You've posted the same nonsense at least three other times. Modern monetary policy doesn't care about debt. The fact you mention Friedman reveals your lack of basic economics.

You sound upset and angry at a lot of people. I hope your problems get better.
Old 01-19-2021, 05:16 PM
Planar Protector

At the very least, people that care about education and actually teaching understand the difficulties of trying to force everyone to sit still in class. It is a known fact that people learn much better through other means than reading a class textbook and then answering multiple choice questions about it. But we still force kids to do that. Why? I don't know. We do it though.

Its basically a known fact that it is dumb, and that it doesn't teach anyone anything. Some kids are good at it. Some aren't. It doesn't matter how long someone sits in a classroom, they never get good at answering those questions when taught that way, or at least they can never compete with the kids that have a brain that is compatible with this activity.
Lost but not forgotten.
Old 01-19-2021, 05:35 PM
Planar Protector

I'd like to know how it works if I just this year paid off the last of my student loans, and then they forgive student loans?

So I'm being financially punished for putting a lot of money toward my loans, versus going out to eat buying a new car, buying a new house etc...?
Old 01-19-2021, 05:37 PM
Planar Protector

They might go ahead and throw you a bone Azeth.

But since your privledged maybe you would be selected to re-engage your student loan debt and start paying off someone elses loan for charity?

Maybe.

For reals though no reason to ask a theoryquest question like that since we're only talking out of our butts right now anyways. You might be SOL (but you're not, you were blessed with the ability and brain and stuff that allowed you to plan well enough to pay off your loan) or you might get a handout too. Who knows. Either way you're student debt is covered so grats.
Lost but not forgotten.
Old 01-19-2021, 07:56 PM
Sarnak

I see no way that our current gov would ever forgive student debts. They want a cut of that shit.
Old 01-19-2021, 08:11 PM
Kobold

You are a sucker if you went to college in this day and age.
Old 01-19-2021, 08:20 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoodyLich666 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I see no way that our current gov would ever forgive student debts. They want a cut of that shit.
They don't make money on it. These loans cost the government money, the interest rates are low enough and collection is challenging enough that they lose money overall either way.

The loan process is a way to loan money to us in order for us to pay the government for our own further indoctrination. It's a good scheme. It lets us be eligible for a number of higher level government positions that we would otherwise not be eligible for.

When it comes to loan forgiveness they will probably be printing money (with pen stroke) to pay themselves, or buying the debt from themselves. So Freddy Mae / whatever organization gets paid in full and "the people" is holding the debt.

It will all be conveniently piled into the coronavirus debt package, when we go and forgive ourselves our own debt.

Its safe to say the net result will be "the people" being sold down the river. Somehow.
Lost but not forgotten.
Old 01-19-2021, 08:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by StinkyGreenBud [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You are a sucker if you went to college in this day and age.
Nah, I really don't think so. It depends on what you got out of it at the least.

Even though my education hasn't paid for itself in cashola, it gave me the bourgouis experiences to fit in with rich folks and get along in life. It also provided a time in my life to get super duper fit, get a couple big athletic achievements and enjoy the flower of my teenage beauty and all that. It did also get me jobs, since it's a STEM degree, although since lab work pays so badly I never worked in my field at all. Thanks to it, I feel pretty comfortable among ppl of any stratum and have a very sound scientific basis to my worldview, which as I watch the mass descend into madness and confusion over semantic arguments and the " discreditation of science " over climate change is something I definitely prize highly.

I think the whole shipping off and doing the dorm experience thing at an upscale institution is pretty good for most people. That's not to say you couldn't totally fuck yourself by going to a shitty school without a scholarship and being uber in debt and no better off, like at say an Arizona State, but speaking as a case who didn't last long in the professional world I still say my education was worthwhile. I would argue that it's such a great formative experience cluster that it probably would be a wise state investment into its young citizens.
Last edited by imperiouskitten; 01-19-2021 at 08:38 PM..
Closed Thread