Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 11-03-2020, 02:53 PM
Large Rat

Default First time player, long time fan

Full disclosure, I haven't played EQ since it went live decades ago. I don't remember a thing. I've played many games since then but always love the older school styles that don't hold my hand or can solo from 1st to max.

I have tried a few times to get started here but I'm really lost. Any basic tips to get started from day-1 and not be completely lost?

1. Suggested good first class/race?

2. Friendly(er) starting areas?

3. Do(s) and don't(s)

4. A friendly guild(s) who accept stray dogs?

Thanks!
Old 11-03-2020, 03:03 PM
Large Rat

Id go for a race with night vision, the east common tunnel off of freeport is packed with people willing to help, give out advice or hand out guild advice. There are a few guilds made just to help level and teach newer players, although most people in general tend to be helpful.
Old 11-03-2020, 03:05 PM
Planar Protector

Welcome Back!

I encourage you to browse the https://wiki.project1999.com
It has a huge amount of information to better help players make informed decision.
There are even class guides. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

That said, East Commonlands is the main trade hub. Joining a leveling guild is a great way to make the world feel bigger.
Told this to Rogean, Nilbog & Menden.
Old 11-03-2020, 03:51 PM
Sarnak

Do: talk to people. A large majority are very friendly.

Don’t: be a grumpy person when something goes wrong. A bad pull or something.

EQ, it is the journey.
Old 11-03-2020, 07:10 PM
Sarnak

Kittens and Castle are probably the two largest casual levelling guilds, although there are a ton of smaller ones (and of course I'm biased [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] ).

Best place to start looking is here: http://wiki.project1999.com/Getting_Started

And race/class really depends on your playstyle. I exclusively solo so all my toons are soloable characters (don't look at the ranger!). The 'good' aligned characters are generally easier to play as you can bank/sell at more places, but the evil classes aren't really that much harder (except maybe Iksars).

Welcome aboard!

edit: if interested in Castle just do a /who all castle and ask anyone if an officer is available. I assume you could do the same for Kittens who say Meow but I can't speak for them!

edit2: that link above is about installing client, I was thinking it was more getting started. not to worry, there's plenty of guides here (http://wiki.project1999.com/Players:Adventure) and the first couple are for EQ newbies.

Zipps - 51 HLF Druid <Castle>
Lykosor - 49 DE Necro <Castle>
Aspom - 12 HEF Ranger <Castle>
Slyng - 31 HEF Bard <Castle>
Flecrad - 21 DE Enchanter <Castle>
Lykos - 43 HIE Mage <Castle>
Ribkage - 17 GNM Boneknight <Castle>
Last edited by aspomwell; 11-03-2020 at 07:17 PM..
Old 11-03-2020, 07:47 PM
Planar Protector

which server are you starting on OP?
Old 11-04-2020, 01:20 AM
Sarnak

When thinking about the servers to choose between your options are three

Green: Solid server population, there was overcrowding early on and that could come back again as people come back in anticipation for Kunark launch. The green server is very close to true nostalgic Everquest in 1999. There are plenty of people in each starting zone to group with and some twinks/experienced ppl are working there way back through which can make your life easier. I’ve been playing on both quite a bit lately and it seems green’s server population tends to be less experienced and less cooperative. Still an amazing culture overall the greater competition is really a factor of limited resources. Kunark will increase xp zones by 50% and gear availability will go through the roof. Overall assessment great place to start for classic experience and considered the flagship server at this time.

Blue: low newbie zone populations. Expect to solo at least quite a bit anywhere you start on blue. That being said you’ll have the pick of the litter for camps and will level up quick. Also weapons that would make you a god on green are really affordable on blue. There are some reaaally nice quality of life perks on blue server such as custom UIs that just make the game less tedious in 2020, tab targeting, and a pet window. The culture is unbelievable with hundreds of experienced players who’d love to show you the ropes. Plus if you want to try raiding there is 3x the content as on green at the moment and a bunch of frat guilds to get you there.

Red is pvp and extra xp, but almost no population. Personally I can’t play a mmo without interacting with other players.

Blue or green are both great choices and welcome back!
Old 11-04-2020, 03:33 AM
Kobold

I suggest avoiding rogue or warrior as a class for now.

I can recommend a shaman as your first character, because shamans can do basically a bit of everything and you can very early figure out by yourself what you like the most (nukes, buffs, healing, whatever)
<Aanelenye> lvl 43 Paladin
<Vaalyun> lvl 48 Wizard
Blue chars: retired

Old 11-04-2020, 07:02 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodelf [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Full disclosure, I haven't played EQ since it went live decades ago. I don't remember a thing. I've played many games since then but always love the older school styles that don't hold my hand or can solo from 1st to max.

I have tried a few times to get started here but I'm really lost. Any basic tips to get started from day-1 and not be completely lost?

1. Suggested good first class/race?

2. Friendly(er) starting areas?

3. Do(s) and don't(s)

4. A friendly guild(s) who accept stray dogs?

Thanks!
1. Shaman, Enchanter, Druid are good first solo or group toons.

2. West Freeport is a great starting area. Just need a friendly port and bind, if not a human. Human very bad eye sight at night.

3. Have fun, meet new people, make mistakes. Don't take things personal if things go wrong in groups.

4. As others have mentioned. Adding Dawn Believers and Light House, I'm not sure, but tossing names out.
Old 11-04-2020, 02:00 PM
Sarnak

what you want is a druid. best starting class
Closed Thread