Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Old 02-15-2022, 02:03 PM
Planar Protector

inheritors are a trip, man [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 02-15-2022, 02:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxigen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
if you dont own multiple properties in your 30s its time to unplug from everquest
Eh, if I had enough money to put a down payment on a second house I think I’d rather invest in other stuff

I’d have to find renters willing to pay more than the mortgage, which would be hard considering interest rates have gone up and the bank’s second loan would never be as good of a rate as my first (I wouldn’t qualify lol, but this is a hypothetical). So I would have to find a sucker willing to overpay in rent, just to make enough profits to fix the stuff they inevitably break living there. And of course I’d have to keep an eye on it to make sure they aren’t thrashing the place

A lot of work for an investment. If I had like $50k extra, I could think of other stuff to invest in with that I think
Old 02-15-2022, 02:26 PM
Banned

Do not be a landlord, all landlords go to hell
Old 02-15-2022, 02:32 PM
Planar Protector

From where I stand, the messaging was to go to school. Get a respectable job at a big company. Have a great life. Build a family. Retire.

But now it's becoming more and more clear that the messaging is, no that's for baboons, buy property, be your own boss.

I feel like what Ive seen is the people getting jerked around and IMO it makes me want to get real mad so Im always surprised nobody else cares.

I mean the college loans folks are still screaming at the clouds, they were all promised this message. Surely they are ready to flip the system upside down? I dont get it.
Old 02-15-2022, 05:19 PM
Banned

What I don't get is the folks who paid off their loans but oppose forgiving those loans for others. Very bucket of crabs mentality. "I had polio, and now there's a free vaccine!? Those kids should suffer like I did!"

Not that any president is gonna forgive the heaps of debt, so it's all hypothetical. Biden can't even come up with free community college, much less x out oodles of meaningless debt
Old 02-15-2022, 05:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by robayon [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
What I don't get is the folks who paid off their loans but oppose forgiving those loans for others. Very bucket of crabs mentality. "I had polio, and now there's a free vaccine!? Those kids should suffer like I did!"

Not that any president is gonna forgive the heaps of debt, so it's all hypothetical. Biden can't even come up with free community college, much less x out oodles of meaningless debt
It just feels like an invalidation of work. For example the rank 14 grind in WoW was one of the worst grind’s possible in MMA history, usually requiring 16+ hours/day playing for ~5 months

Then eventually afterward, blizz made the rank 14 gear buyable with honor points as currency. It was outdated by then so not best in slot, but once everyone could buy it, the people who had put on all those hours felt their work kinda invalidated

That’s kinda a bad example bc it was a good deal of time later, it would be worse if it happened like the next week after they got it when it was still best in slot

It would be seen as invalidating to those who put on the work and unfair to the next generation who was going to sign up for college next year, unless it was a re-occurring thing every year and then costs just went way the heck up. And since money is infinite in this scenario why not just give it to everyone, every year, including those that already paid theirs
Old 02-15-2022, 05:53 PM
Banned

I mean, if the compromise means I get a check I wouldn't be opposed to that, but my college debt was only like 17k total

I get why they might be miffed I suppose I just think education is a good use of tax dollars, and not a $100m F-35 that sinks into the sea

As long as we are still using currency, anyways, but the form of utopia without it is a long way off, if our species even makes it long enough
Old 02-15-2022, 05:59 PM
Banned

The other issue if it is passed by this administration is a potential conflict of interest

If we are going to assume that there are more older republicans than younger, then it is more likely that older people who have finished college and paid their loans are Republican. Plus people without college degrees have a higher % of republicans

So we have a Democrat-ran administration say we are giving free money to a particular age subset of a particular form of higher education, one that happens to have a Democrat majority of utilizers. And older higher educated people and trade-school or non-higher educated people can go F themselves

It sorta sounds like a favor returned. Thanks for voting me into office, thanks college staff for having a Democrat majority, we’re going to incentivize as many people as we can to buy your service and not your competitors (trade schools, low skill jobs)
Old 02-15-2022, 06:10 PM
Banned

Well, maybe, but it isn't gonna happen with Biden anyways and I doubt any Republican would take it up for much the same reasons you outlined - it wouldn't benefit their own base as much, and elected officials of both parties are essentially owned by whatever segment of the banks actually holds those debts anyways.

Basically because of bribery/campaign finance, wanting to get re-elected over and over....

It seems to me that there are certain things, like education and healthcare, which should not be governed by capitalist principles but that isn't what we have, and now there's all these sunk costs involved, what a total mess
Old 02-15-2022, 06:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by robayon [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Well, maybe, but it isn't gonna happen with Biden anyways and I doubt any Republican would take it up for much the same reasons you outlined - it wouldn't benefit their own base as much, and elected officials of both parties are essentially owned by whatever segment of the banks actually holds those debts anyways.

Basically because of bribery/campaign finance, wanting to get re-elected over and over....

It seems to me that there are certain things, like education and healthcare, which should not be governed by capitalist principles but that isn't what we have, and now there's all these sunk costs involved, what a total mess
I always wondered about the government using the money instead to form their own higher education, like public higher education, but any kind, including tradeskills or even just teaching how to work a low skill job (like a mini-associates)

Then have it undercut the university prices, since in my opinion university degree costs are kinda ridiculous. This would force competition and universities having motivation to try to lower their costs for higher education. Because the college degree system doesn’t really seem all that streamlined either. I dunno, I’m not an expert in degrees, but it seems there is a decent amount of filler stuff

Anyway, I had other ideas but forgot them already