Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 06-16-2013, 10:54 AM
Sarnak

works some times but mostly still freeze on zoning.

This is fairly new for me. Hadn't had freezing on zoning very often before, but recently it happens 90% of the times.

Biggest problem is the long time out the server has when client is closed ungracefully.
Takes 5-10 tries of loging in before you get back in
Old 06-17-2013, 10:56 AM
Fire Giant

The trick worked for me as well - most times. I still get the odd freeze, but it's much better.
Old 06-19-2013, 08:05 AM
Sarnak

Exclamation

One thing i noticed on the threads about zoning errors, not many players with the problem write what OS they're using.

I am doing a clean install of Windows 8 now to see if that should help.
The Loading art is not the issue of this problem tho. It just makes the client have to do lesser work when zoning.

My guess here is that the client is pretty old, coding style wise, and that Windows 95 and 98 that was used back then is by far much more simple in both process handling, memory management and network handling. Today much more goes on in the background while an application or game runs.

This is definetly a connection or resolution issue that happens when especially loading game or zoning.

I should notice my eqclient.ini is set to
1600x1200 fullscreen
1600x1200 windowed

I noticed this on Entering game:

Launcher window - open P99 server
little pause .. Game opens in Fullscreen . loading art
you press login and enters your login and pw - enter
Game switches from 1600x1200 fullscreen to 1280x1024 windowed while showing game art.
Now either game waits like 2 min. trying to log in (if you just crashed zoning or if your unlucky to catch the emu servers not answering)
Now server select screen should show if your so lucky to get in.
Otherwise you get returned to login screen
Now either you get the message that you have to rerun patcher if you have tried loging in short before or if the ip exemption is over you get into Character select screen (YAY!!) still in windowed mode.
You now try to log in a char ... big wait again
If your lucky you get a loading art "polishing woodelves" (i love that one)
Game switches to fullscreen 1600x1200 again and your character shows up in the world .. WOOOOT!! oh shit someone is bringing a train and you have to zone ... FREEZE ....

/sigh

The problem may also have something to do with the fact that EQ never was very good at switching resolutions (Others prolly knows the device error you get once in a while switching between fullscreen and windowed mode).
Albeit i noticed in the log files that game in my case tries to switch to 1600x1200 while starting up but gets an error like "resolution capped at 1280x1024". I think this happens sometimes while initializing the loading and login screens (eqls files)

and I am convinced that people talking about weather EQ client has focus or not is on to something. I have myself noticed in the past while playing on live that crashes happened more ofthen when you tried to box, or was just switching to other apps while EQ was loading a zone.

It would be interesting to see if these problems would still exists if EQ had more processor afinity like in older windows where things were taskswitching instead of multitasking.

I have so far tried both using WinEQ 2, setting eqclient and moe's launcher to administrator, and tried both Windows XP sp2 and sp3 compatibility mode.

It doesn't make a difference either wether launcher or WinEQ is set up to use only 1 core. Still freezes.

Sometimes i get to zone 2 og 3 times between EC, FP, Nek but then it freezes again, and then have to wait like 15 min. before server will let you log back in again

This really cracks me up because the game is unplayable like this, and for me its just started lately .. (or after buying a PC with an i7 quadcore and win 8) [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

I have had issues before with screen resolution because of I kept my good ole Phillips 21A CRT screen running 1600x1200 85hz but that was usually just a driver issue that all those high frame rate modes werent defined in all versions, but never had this much problems running P99

It should be known that i still have an active Live account, and the 2013 updated EQ client doesn't have any problems running
Old 07-01-2013, 04:19 AM
Sarnak

The problems is in some way related to the specific P99 files wether the devs like it or not.

My current setup with a new fresh install of Windows fixed the crashing on zoning, but zoning is still VERY slow.

After testing on a clean Titanium install with all of the most popular EQ EMU servers, P99 have the slowest zoning of all servers. It also has the most problems with getting your video modes setup when you switch between running in Fullscreen and windowed mode. Most of the other servers run without any strange resolution artifacts

This makes me conclude that there MUST be some code with the P99 specific files and their server setup wich triggers these problems
Old 07-03-2013, 10:51 PM
Kobold

Has anyone else noticed the problem being worse for a specific zone? For me, zoning into or out of Sky will cause a disconnect about 80% of the time. I rarely have an issue zoning anywhere else. If I die on a Sky raid it takes me ~20 minutes worth of effort to get ressed and loaded back in due to getting disconnected during the loading process and then having to wait for my timeout.

Running win7 64, eqgame in xp sp3 compatibility mode, loading art off.
Old 07-04-2013, 02:31 AM
Sarnak

dependent what gfx hw you have and how easy it is for you to do a fresh install,
I recommend trying a fresh install or make a virtual machine for EQ.

I got rid of mine with a fresh install, but might also look into the graphics setup, especially if you have nvidia and have made changes to the 3d settings of eqgame.exe.

I had most settings set for maximum quality wich works for live version, but might give problems with the old titanium client
Old 07-22-2013, 12:16 PM
Aviak

I've tried many different things. I still crash while zoning even with this method. I have tried the single core CPU method. I believe its the internet I am using. It's extremely spotty. Once I'm in a zone, I'm fine.

It takes me roughly 1-2 hrs to get to KC.
Old 10-04-2013, 01:30 PM
Skeleton

hi, even with this quick fix, i still have crash while zoning, and then it usually takes me about 15/20mn to log in again due to bug at the login server.

kinda lose some fun on the game : /
Old 11-21-2013, 12:00 AM
Banned

quick fix - doesnt fix shit.
Old 10-17-2016, 07:03 AM
Sarnak

Send a message via AIM to DOPE

Bump. Confirmed still working. Just installed on a new machine and was experiencing crashing on zone at least once every 3 zones. Remembered this thread.. Hasn't happened since.