Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 09-23-2016, 10:30 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Default Need help getting past character screen

Keep getting the Spells Outdated error even after I have applied the new update. Any and all help is greatly appreciated.
Old 09-24-2016, 10:27 AM
Fire Giant

Did you install EQ to the default directory?

If so try moving your EQ folder from the default install location of c:\program files or c:\program files (x86) to something like c:\everquest.

re-patch making sure you extract the files to the new c:\everquest folder

change your shortcut to reflect the new path and try again.

Drumas - 60 Cleric
Ashintar - 60 Wizard
Old 09-24-2016, 02:16 PM
Large Bat

I'm having the same problem, ive moved EQ file from program files etc to D:\everquest, I've moved it to C:\everquest its my SSD. Ive moved it all over. What the hell has happened? I've never had this problem of patching and it still not working.
Old 09-24-2016, 02:27 PM
Large Bat

Ive extracted the patch files and overridden/replace the same ones etc just like always before. This patch has fucked some of us some how.
Old 09-24-2016, 10:03 PM
Planar Protector

Make sure you're updating your EQ shortcut's "Start in" and "Target" fields and including "patchme" without the quotes at the end of the target path:

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 09-25-2016, 09:19 AM
Large Bat

I changed my target by deleting titanium etc from end and putting in eqgame.exe patchme.

Everything still worked good until I got to character screen again..... same message, outdated spell files.

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 09-25-2016, 10:30 AM
Planar Protector

I've heard connectivity problems can cause this, and lots of people have been experiencing weird hangups with the P99 servers lately (https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...d.php?t=251917), which seem to be isolated to certain ISPs like AT&T. So I wouldn't rule that out as a possibility, however, if it isn't a connectivity issue then there are really only two possibilities:

1. You somehow messed something up with the patch, which is pretty hard to do, but people still manage to do it by extracting an old P99 patch, not extracting the patch to their main EQ directory, not clicking overwrite in the dialog, not restarting the client after extracting the patch, etc.

2. Your EQ installation is somehow broken by corrupted data, which of course can happen for too many reasons to write down - malware, failing hardware, an over-fragmented hard drive, accidentally deleting crucial files, etc. I would give EQ a full reinstall if you've exhausted all your options. And defrag regularly - more than 10% fragmented disk space = bad.
Old 09-26-2016, 10:27 AM
Large Bat

Sigh ya was going to just do a clean reinstall. Ive done almost everything else to fix it, i have cox and perfect connection. very confident i didnt mess up the patch, something else is going on it seems. thanks for the replies though.