Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 06-24-2015, 06:26 PM
Banned

Cant zone or server doesnt think ive got internet for 15 minutes... worst. patch. ever.
Old 06-24-2015, 09:33 PM
Sarnak

To add, logging in is even rough anymore. Timeouts, or it will hang and give you connection errors.
Old 06-24-2015, 09:46 PM
Sarnak

I guess I just dont get... if its a huge issue and it sucks, why not just change it back?
Old 06-25-2015, 05:04 AM
Aviak

I packed up all of my things and moved to Toronto. It seems like connecting from here has shown a significant improvement. Would recommend that others having similar issues also try Toronto and report back results.
Old 06-25-2015, 08:09 PM
Kobold

Just to chime in, the troubleshooting information Wisteso and Ruien between ICMP prioritization, MTR returned results, and using TCP ports to 'ping' are all accurate.

In the problematic MTR, I see there are issues before traffic even reached a public IP address (using a 10.x.x.x subnet). It's very likely that the issue was always within the local area network.
Old 06-25-2015, 08:15 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caridry [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I guess I just dont get... if its a huge issue and it sucks, why not just change it back?
end user's packet loss ≠ game server patch
Old 06-25-2015, 09:19 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proven Guilty [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So with all this technical mumbo jumbo, why all of the sudden is this crap happening since last patch with everyone?
Old 06-25-2015, 09:47 PM
Kobold

Probably the same reason we've had great weather in Phoenix since the patch.
Old 06-25-2015, 10:10 PM
Sarnak

Is there going to be a gm/dev response to this issue? Was fine before the "improvement" and is now horrible to unplayable for numerous people. 0 confirmed cases of any improvement. Whyyyy?
Old 06-26-2015, 02:10 AM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proven Guilty [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

While the game server patch certainly did not have an effect on end user packet loss, it very well could have an effect on how the server handles the packets, hence the rise in issues that are being reported. There are just a lot of variables that make it difficult to determine where the problem is (and the same symptoms could be caused by many different problems).

We aren't trying to argue that the patch made our connections worse. What it did do was change the baseline behavior that individuals had witnessed before the patch. Post patch I started seeing the OP information in Wireshark, alongside more frequent login issues (blank server select, error connecting, freeze from char select) during times which previously did not usually have problems.

Yes my connection sucks, yes I had problems before the patch. I frequently monitored wireshark while logging in / zoning prior to the patch, and noticed a lot of differences post patch. When there is a patch note referring to net code, and a slew of other users reporting similar problems, there is reason to look for a correlation.