Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 12-24-2015, 07:45 AM
Banned

Default Custom Content is a Bad Idea

I like this server a lot. Despite how over-the-top competitive the raid scene is, I enjoy killing dragons and playing the closest thing to classic EQ on the internet. Because a lot of the overlooks and problems on this server existed in classic, I and others accept the foibles of the game.

My fondness for the server notwithstanding, the minute custom content is added to the game (presumably in place of re99 or Luclin), this game ceases to be classic EQ. It isn't even EQ really, but a custom MMO using the EQ engine.

The goal of the server can no longer be taking the game back to classic, because that goal has been abandoned. Instead the server would be focused on creating content people enjoy.

Do you enjoy having to manually stand up before casting? Do you enjoy huge sockfests and FTE races? Do you like the fact that players will have BiS items that are no longer attainable because the sleeper is awoken? Isn't it great how every mob can be pulled to the zone line while everyone but a handful of people sit around and wait? Do you like the fact that some classes are simply not as useful as others? Isn't it great that there is no shared bank or bazaar?

When the p99 devs removed spell lists, Luclin graphics, spells later introduced to balance overlooks by the original devs etc., it was acceptable to the player base because it brought the server closer to classic. It is also acceptable to have overpowered items in the game that are later taken out -- because it simulates classic. MQs? Classic. Chardok? Classic. If not classic in appearance than classic in mechanics.

All this rationale evaporates the second unclassic zones full of unclassic gear is introduced. I can see rounding out Velious with stuff the SoE devs never got around to but intended (i.e. Greenmist and other Kunark quest items). But wholly new content to replace the existing end game? I think it would be the beginning of the end.

I especially don't see the need to dabble in custom content purely to appease the ~15 guys in Rampage that have BiS on their mains. It just doesn't make any sense to me when their is 2 expansions worth of EQ content that would give plenty for hardcore raiders to chew on -- and free up content for more casual guilds.

In a nutshell: I don't think custom content is a good idea -- because it isn't classic. Therefore, it invalidates the logic behind many of the decisions made in developing this server.
Old 12-24-2015, 08:12 AM
Planar Protector

Duck/cancel has been around for 5-6 years and nobody complained that it wasn't classic. It was fixed easily on red (rightly) but never here. Why? I wonder.

You're not playing on a truly classic EQ server yet...no classic UI, no meditate button, among other things.

Maybe bring back the compass, Luclin graphics, target rings, target /con color, oversized wolves, levitating wrong era skeletons.... things that were here long ago [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 12-24-2015, 08:18 AM
Planar Protector

Custom content isn't a bad idea, but put it on a different server with /movechar. It'll lighten up the top end here and still give those who want it something to do.
Old 12-24-2015, 08:21 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravager [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Custom content isn't a bad idea, but put it on a different server with /movechar. It'll lighten up the top end here and still give those who want it something to do.
Not really, it'll give lesser guilds (yours etc) the illusion that they'll have access to more pixels though [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

If you want custom content there's plenty to choose from on the server select screen.
Old 12-24-2015, 09:34 AM
Sarnak

If i want custom content i'd be on Shards of Delaya or the Hidden Forest or some other EMU. I am here because I want to relive my virgin teenage years.
Old 12-24-2015, 12:00 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swish [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Not really, it'll give lesser guilds (yours etc) the illusion that they'll have access to more pixels though [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

If you want custom content there's plenty to choose from on the server select screen.
Twice as many places to raid means an illusion of more pixels? You're bad at math.
Old 12-24-2015, 12:04 PM
Sarnak

Think he may refer to people being able to alt-tab between servers while one dosnt have much going on it at the moment.
Old 12-24-2015, 12:34 PM
Sarnak

Rogean said that when (if) custom content happens, it'll be on a different server. Blue was to be a "museum" for classic EQ. So, OP, don't get your panties in a bunch. You can play Velious for all eternity if you want.
Old 12-24-2015, 12:38 PM
Planar Protector

dont agree with op. There is NO such thing as perfect classic(which was a flawed beast anyway). Am sure rogean and the other moneys running p99 can at least come up with content in the spirit of classic EQ.

Hope you have many many sleepless nights over it.

Are YOU Cleansed from the chains of digital desire?
Old 12-24-2015, 01:21 PM
Banned

compass, etc.
Closed Thread