Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 12-11-2019, 01:36 PM
Banned

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanuvan [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
People cant comprehend that a class can be completely worthless in leveling groups and the best raid tank, people that invite a warrior to my groups (my last one had 2) just makes me cringe and turns the group into a inefficient slog, they are just low damage non tanks who cant hold aggro or provide any utility whatsoever even monks tank better with their mend skill. people need to stop treating warriors like tanks during the "tank crisis" and treat them like a hybrid with no utility which is what they are in classic
Who let the simpleton outta the asylum?? [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.][You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.][You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 12-11-2019, 01:51 PM
Banned

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by vossiewulf [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Why do asshole (by definition) min-maxers always think that if others don't share their idiotic obsession it is because they are too stupid to understand the min-maxer's true genius of pouring over data models and totally ignoring human factors?

Here are the real rules of successful EQ classic grouping:

1. Have to have someone to tank.
2. Have to have someone who can keep tank standing.
3. Fill out open slots by taking people who play their class really well and mostly ignore what those classes are.

Good players and groups can easily and skillfully modify their tactics to maximize the output of any collection of character types and a group chosen by player skill will always do much better and have much more fun than a group chosen by class. The reason being OP, since you're not very bright, is that the latter wipes all the time, the former doesn't.
+100
Old 12-11-2019, 02:55 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asteria [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
+100
But making friends is suboptimal!
Old 12-12-2019, 01:34 PM
Sarnak

OP needs to understand EQ was designed to be a social game with an amazing journey. Sure you can min/max it all the time and drive yourself mad. Believe me, I feel you in regards to efficiency 100%. But in the long run, you are in charge of your own choices, don't like the group ? leave it's that simple man. Find a couple of people to group with that share your mindset and go for it. Don't put yourself in a situation and stay there then bitch about it. Remember that social aspect of EQ ? /reputation.
Old 12-12-2019, 02:15 PM
Banned

Had a full banded ranger tank my Unrest group no problem

Kept threat off my twinked rogue

Everyone left happy
Old 12-12-2019, 05:13 PM
Kobold

Default ree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanuvan [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
People cant comprehend that a class can be completely worthless in leveling groups and the best raid tank, people that invite a warrior to my groups (my last one had 2) just makes me cringe and turns the group into a inefficient slog, they are just low damage non tanks who cant hold aggro or provide any utility whatsoever even monks tank better with their mend skill. people need to stop treating warriors like tanks during the "tank crisis" and treat them like a hybrid with no utility which is what they are in classic

ahem...REEEEEEEE!!!!
Old 12-12-2019, 05:19 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nirgon [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Had a full banded ranger tank my Unrest group no problem

Kept threat off my twinked rogue

Everyone left happy
Our first mains were paladins, PALLIES. No one knew better at the time and we'd played paladinish characters in another game.

But early on, as you know, they were terrible. But still, when we signed on each night there would be an extended group of 20-30 people who would all race to send us tells to get a spot for the group tonight. Makes no sense, right? Why would people want to play with not one of the worst character types but TWO?

Reason was group always did well in loot and exp and (almost) never wiped. I was puller, if something went significantly wrong I would never bring the problem back to the group, I'd find a good /corpseable spot and stay there while the group evaced one way or another. There wouldn't even be much downtime, as my partner would take over pulling and tanking and she was very good. And everyone in that extended group ranged from good to really really good and would handle unexpected events very smoothly. My favorite moments were always when something unexpected happened and the group wouldn't make it through and go "whew!", everyone would do the exact right thing(s) and make it look easy. Pfft, mobs gotta try harder than THAT.

So despite the lack of dps and the exp penalty, the lack of death and therefore constant upward progress always resulted in faster progress over time than that of people who min-maxed groups much more but died every other day.

We had a good ranger friend we played with a lot too. Two pallies and a ranger in a party, my god. But he was really, really good at rangering and we always did really well with him and had a good time. Like Nirgon's case, everyone always left happy we'd had Dulsin in the group.

Point being the difference between the "strongest" and "weakest" character types can be very much minimized or even erased if the person playing the weaker end takes the time to really study their capabilities and experiment with various tactics and just basically push themselves hard to maximize their value as a player through skillful and well thought-out execution.

And again that's why we always focused on who we knew that was good much more than what character type they played when setting up groups.
Old 12-12-2019, 07:04 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by vossiewulf [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Good players and groups can easily and skillfully modify their tactics to maximize the output of any collection of character types and a group chosen by player skill will always do much better and have much more fun than a group chosen by class. The reason being OP is that the latter wipes all the time, the former doesn't.
If you play in a group without good casters your group will be a horrible inefficient slog no matter what. The truth is on Green you find whoever the hell can take hits and keep mobs turned. Groups are all about having going casters, period. If you have a group with good casters they'll root the mobs and war will root tank and it will be fine and they won't complain one peep. Odds are if you are complaining about this though you are sitting around getting your xp riding coattails anyways.

The amount of awful inefficient groups I've seen on this server is impressive. It has nothing to do with class composition and everything to do with not knowing the basics of EQ. It also has to do with many players unwillingness to learn how to actually be efficient not "roll an efficient class."

On Green anybody good on -any- class is welcome. When every knucklehead melee "rAiDeR" isn't running around with their DKP loot piņata gear you actually see that Wizards can be great in a group and they are quite welcome now. "rAiDeRs" never rolled a Necro because "tHeY cAnT gRoUp" and look now. It's tons of hot air and people with no clue. Just don't be a nub and that's that.

<The A-Team>
Old 12-12-2019, 09:03 PM
Planar Protector

OP are you masamune<Asgard>? Please say yes bc that would make two 2/10 threads instantly become 10/10
Old 12-13-2019, 01:43 AM
Planar Protector

I would think a warrior with dual wield would be better dps than a SK, Pal and most casters if the Warrior was hasted and had str buff.
Closed Thread