Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Old 06-03-2022, 11:05 AM
Sarnak

Dammit, what I would give for that feeling again. I still feel it, but that first time. Good as it gets.
Old 06-04-2022, 02:45 AM
Decaying Skeleton

Welp I dug in and played, died twice but in the end I made it to level 7 before calling it for the night!
Old 06-04-2022, 03:00 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardp1999 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Without that sweet aroma of nostalgia this game is honestly unplayable at low levels. Good luck but I doubt you will make it past level 20
Some of us think that the lowest levels are the best, like seeing the gates of Kaladim for the first time, or getting a table dance in Neriak Third gate, or Getting smacked around by Holly Windstalker for killing a wolf.
Old 06-04-2022, 03:07 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardp1999 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Without that sweet aroma of nostalgia this game is honestly unplayable at low levels. Good luck but I doubt you will make it past level 20
That's why the dev's of earth made time relative.

Early levels are meant to go fast and to get into the meat of the game, then end game they try to stretch out forever while you complain the whole time.
Old 06-04-2022, 03:13 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahchillhomebro [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Just created a high elf cleric, I have no gear, I haven't the faintest idea where to go, the universe has been telling me to delve into this game but it is very very daunting, any sort of guide or something would be immensely helpful! Please and thank you!
Biggest and most-important tip: Learn to use mouselook, and always think "situational awareness". This skillset alone will keep you alive longer than anything else in this game.

Be patient. This game is NOT World of Warcraft. No one will hold your hand and wipe your bottom. You have to earn everything you get, and thusly you will have pride about what you have achieved.

I said, be patient, before but BE PATIENT. Its not a race to the top. If you try, you will lose all of the lore and content and quests and everything that makes this game truly remarkable. I've been playing EQ since the day of release in '99, and there is so much I do not know, and still so many places that I have never been.

Also, the P99 wiki is your Bible, Koran, and Torah all rolled up into one. When I am playing, I have two screens with one displaying the game and one displaying the wiki.

If you see my main character online (Ubermaus), give me a holler and I'll give you a few buffs and some plat to get you going!

Good luck!
Old 06-04-2022, 03:33 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhadree J'Hadaan [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Biggest and most-important tip: Learn to use mouselook, and always think "situational awareness". This skillset alone will keep you alive longer than anything else in this game.
Easily the best tip I've ever read on the forums.
Old 06-09-2022, 02:52 AM
Sarnak

By using mouselook do you mean learning how to use strafe run? Because when I played I never used it, but I tried it once while messing around on an alt to keep from dying to an orc that was chasing me and it seemed OP.
Old 06-09-2022, 05:50 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripSin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
By using mouselook do you mean learning how to use strafe run? Because when I played I never used it, but I tried it once while messing around on an alt to keep from dying to an orc that was chasing me and it seemed OP.
Mouselook and strafe-running are two completely separate things. Go to your options menu and set it for using mouselook, invert the Y-axis to whatever you are used to using, and scroll to zoom.

You can use your right mouse button to look all around you, up and down, left and right.

Press both left and right mouse buttons to move forward.

I probably should have mentioned that while this method works best when in 3rd-person perspective, it also will work in 1st-person as well. I like to be in 3rd-person most of the time, but targeting and looting and certain things are just better/easier in 1st.

Using mouselook, you can easily look around you while in battle and adjust for potential adds. Nothing sucks more than having just enough mana left for that last nuke, or just enough health left for finishing off a mob, and you get ganked. When you get good, you can use your mouselook, numbers on the keyboard for spells and abilities, and the up/down/left/right arrow keys for additional movement. Mastering this and your movements will be much more fluid and intuitive.

Like I said, stay alert! Look around! Do this, and you wont spend 50% of your time in Norrath running away.
Last edited by Jhadree J'Hadaan; 06-09-2022 at 05:53 AM..
Old 06-09-2022, 07:22 AM
Decaying Skeleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhadree J'Hadaan [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Some of us think that the lowest levels are the best, like seeing the gates of Kaladim for the first time, or getting a table dance in Neriak Third gate, or Getting smacked around by Holly Windstalker for killing a wolf.
I've been subjugated every time for 20 years each time i come down from HHK to the plains of karana and i see this face in the rock.