Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

View Poll Results: Who was responsible for the shooting?
A man of God keeping the sabbath sacred. 4 8.70%
A social revolutionary striking out against an oppressive people. 8 17.39%
An Islamic convert commemorating Husayn's sacrifice. 8 17.39%
W meltin steel 30 65.22%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 10-20-2017, 08:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiRo2 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Just out of curiosity, what type of unit were you in that advanced marksmanship wasn't a thing and replaced all their personal weapons with m249s? I never seen an infantry unit with more than 2 LMGs per squad, whether they are light or mechanized.
stolen valor
Old 10-20-2017, 09:30 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiRo2 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Just out of curiosity, what type of unit were you in that advanced marksmanship wasn't a thing and replaced all their personal weapons with m249s? I never seen an infantry unit with more than 2 LMGs per squad, whether they are light or mechanized.
I was in ADA (air defense artillery), and to be accurate they replaced the majority of my units personal weapons with SAWs.

I actually still had an M16 issued to me as I was at the end of my 4 year enlistment. Whether they added additional training after I left the military with the SAWs or not I can't say, obviously as I was no longer there.

I was fine with not having a SAW because they were very heavy compared to an M16 and any added weight wasn't exactly a welcomed addition to me when I went to the field.

My unit still had two M60 machine guns as well as two .50 caliber machine guns that were always carried with our unit to the field, so I can't comment on what your unit was issued. These were always standard weaponry that we took to the field, even before the SAWs were introduced.

Being ADA I would imagine we were issued different weaponry compared to a standard infantry unit, for one we set up our launchers and post in the field, and our unit would not be on the front line as we were there for air defense.

Perhaps we were being issues more light machine guns for added firepower with further range? I don't know, I got out very soon after SAWs were replacing my units M16s, and honestly they never explained to us why they changed our gears. You just got it, and you were trained how to use it. The logistics of why you got what you got was never a big priority for them to explain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokesan [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
stolen valor
As for valor, I don't consider anything I did in the military valorous at all, I joined because I didn't want to go to college, I was 17 years old (I went to boot camp 5 days after I graduated HS) and I just wanted to be on my own. Desert Storm was all over the TV then, and I thought it looked like an adventure plus I was always into athletics and thought the army would be very active physically.

I think it's funny that my story is greeted with skepticism, I have nothing to gain from sharing it, I just felt like chiming in on my personal perception of the attack in Vegas. If people don't believe what I say, I can't help that.

My intention wasn't to brag about being in the army, in fact knowing what I know now I would never join. I can see why at the time, my dad was against me joining as he had been in the army too, and he fully understood what it was about. I had a very idealistic view of it, I suppose. I also had to get written permission signed by my dad agreeing that I could join due to me being under 18 when I went in, so you can imagine his dilemma.
Old 10-20-2017, 09:41 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lhancelot [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I was in ADA (air defense artillery), and to be accurate they replaced the majority of my units personal weapons with SAWs.
I was actually assigned to an ADA unit in Korea for two years, and I can say they had the same issue of personal weapons as light infantry M16/M4(most people) and 1-2 m249s per 10ish people. M240b's(replaced the m60) and M2's are common issue among mechanized units regardless of type as crew served weapons.

Were you patriot, SHORAD, maybe stinger based off the gulf war time frame? I have literally never seen or heard of any unit that had m249s as the majority of their personal weapons based off MTO&E.
Old 10-20-2017, 10:38 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
I was actually assigned to an ADA unit in Korea for two years, and I can say they had the same issue of personal weapons as light infantry M16/M4(most people) and 1-2 m249s per 10ish people. M240b's(replaced the m60) and M2's are common issue among mechanized units regardless of type as crew served weapons.

Were you patriot, SHORAD, maybe stinger based off the gulf war time frame? I have literally never seen or heard of any unit that had m249s as the majority of their personal weapons based off MTO&E.
I was a 16T, patriot missile crewmember. '91-'95.
Closed Thread